Re: [Semi-OT] Remote player table top setup

  • Harry C. Johnson
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 4, 2008
      We have a couple of camPains going on that meet completely remotely
      (no face to face). We use FantasyGrounds, http://www.fantasygrounds.com.

      I have also been experimenting with openrpg, http://www.openrpg.com,
      again as well. It is open source and will run on multiple platforms. I
      prefer linux myself.

      Either of these would likely serve your needs and, to make it a little
      more on-topic, I believe both have mechanisms for importing pcgen
      characters.

      HTH,
      -Harry

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

      > Our group has somebody that is going to get deployed at the end of April
      > (Coast Guard so it isn't terribly bad). And we're talking about getting
      > a setup for a remote player. Anyone have one that works for them and
      > could I get a parts list of what they used?
      >
      > Paul Grosse

    • Paul
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6, 2008
        I should clarify what we are intending. :)

        4 Players at table (+DM)

        One guy at his base using a webcam and mic to play via speakers.
        Basically I'm the only one with a laptop at the table, mainly for
        HypertextSRD. :)

      • keith.davies@kjdavies.org
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
          On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:04:44PM -0000, joefrazierjr wrote:
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Our group has somebody that is going to get deployed at the end of
          > > April (Coast Guard so it isn't terribly bad). And we're talking
          > > about getting a setup for a remote player. Anyone have one that
          > > works for them and could I get a parts list of what they used?
          >
          > I have been trying to talk my DM into using Maptool (rptools.net), but
          > that's for local network connections with our group. I do know from
          > reading their forums that there a quite a few games that are 100%
          > virtual (meaning no face to face gaming) over the internet. A number
          > of those people use Ventrillo(sp?) for the live voice chat during
          > gaming sessions. Some people us Skype instead, but there are some
          > EULA things which I would be wary of with Skype.
          >
          > I have heard a few people here talk about using Maptool that may be
          > able to give some detailed information about how it works for them in
          > gameplay, notable Eddy and Tir.

          I'll second Maptool for map and encounter management, but I'll also
          mention that we use IRC (with a dicebot) for the bulk of the roleplay.
          Of course, this game started with players from another IRC channel, so
          that's what we were used to.

          Keith
          --
          Keith Davies I married the moonshiner's daughter
          keith.davies@... How could I go wrong?
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
            keith.davies@... wrote:
            > On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:04:44PM -0000, joefrazierjr wrote:
            >
            >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> Our group has somebody that is going to get deployed at the end of
            >>> April (Coast Guard so it isn't terribly bad). And we're talking
            >>> about getting a setup for a remote player. Anyone have one that
            >>> works for them and could I get a parts list of what they used?
            >>>
            >> I have been trying to talk my DM into using Maptool (rptools.net), but
            >> that's for local network connections with our group. I do know from
            >> reading their forums that there a quite a few games that are 100%
            >> virtual (meaning no face to face gaming) over the internet. A number
            >> of those people use Ventrillo(sp?) for the live voice chat during
            >> gaming sessions. Some people us Skype instead, but there are some
            >> EULA things which I would be wary of with Skype.
            >>
            >> I have heard a few people here talk about using Maptool that may be
            >> able to give some detailed information about how it works for them in
            >> gameplay, notable Eddy and Tir.
            >>

            > I'll second Maptool for map and encounter management, but I'll also
            > mention that we use IRC (with a dicebot) for the bulk of the roleplay.
            > Of course, this game started with players from another IRC channel, so
            > that's what we were used to.

            Maptool also has a chat window built into it which has the ability to
            make dice rolls among other things.

            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          • keith.davies@kjdavies.org
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
              On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 03:13:06PM -0400, Eddy Anthony wrote:
              > keith.davies@... wrote:

              > >> I have been trying to talk my DM into using Maptool (rptools.net), but
              > >> that's for local network connections with our group. I do know from
              > >> reading their forums that there a quite a few games that are 100%
              > >> virtual (meaning no face to face gaming) over the internet. A number
              > >> of those people use Ventrillo(sp?) for the live voice chat during
              > >> gaming sessions. Some people us Skype instead, but there are some
              > >> EULA things which I would be wary of with Skype.
              > >>
              > >> I have heard a few people here talk about using Maptool that may be
              > >> able to give some detailed information about how it works for them in
              > >> gameplay, notable Eddy and Tir.
              > >
              > > I'll second Maptool for map and encounter management, but I'll also
              > > mention that we use IRC (with a dicebot) for the bulk of the roleplay.
              > > Of course, this game started with players from another IRC channel, so
              > > that's what we were used to.
              >
              > Maptool also has a chat window built into it which has the ability to
              > make dice rolls among other things.

              It does, but my group didn't care for it.

              Maptool also has programmable buttons you can attach to dice rolls and
              (IIRC) strings.

              Keith
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
                On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 02:24:10AM -0000, Paul wrote:
                > I should clarify what we are intending. :)
                >
                > 4 Players at table (+DM)
                >
                > One guy at his base using a webcam and mic to play via speakers.
                > Basically I'm the only one with a laptop at the table, mainly for
                > HypertextSRD. :)

                Ah yes, Full Frontal Nerdity:
                http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ffn/index.php

                Keith
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 8, 2008
                  Well we did have a similar situation at one time where all but two
                  guys could make it for a face to face game weekend. In that case, we
                  mounted a webcam on one of my ludwig cymbal stands above the game mat
                  and an omnidirectional microphone and ran them through yahoo
                  messenger. That worked okay, but the two dimensional view made it hard
                  for the remote guys to make out the different minis. We ended up
                  sticking different colored foil hershey kiss wrappers on the heads of
                  the minis. Effective and delicious. We also wrote little numbers in
                  the corners of the squares for reference. "So I take a 5' step into
                  square 15 to flank the hill giant."

                  YMMV,
                  -Harry