[Semi-OT] Remote player table top setup

  • Paul Grosse
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 4 1:49 PM
      Our group has somebody that is going to get deployed at the end of April
      (Coast Guard so it isn't terribly bad). And we're talking about getting
      a setup for a remote player. Anyone have one that works for them and
      could I get a parts list of what they used?

      Paul Grosse

    • joefrazierjr
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 4 2:04 PM
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

        > Our group has somebody that is going to get deployed at the end of April
        > (Coast Guard so it isn't terribly bad). And we're talking about getting
        > a setup for a remote player. Anyone have one that works for them and
        > could I get a parts list of what they used?
        >
        > Paul Grosse

        I have been trying to talk my DM into using Maptool (rptools.net), but
        that's for local network connections with our group. I do know from
        reading their forums that there a quite a few games that are 100%
        virtual (meaning no face to face gaming) over the internet. A number
        of those people use Ventrillo(sp?) for the live voice chat during
        gaming sessions. Some people us Skype instead, but there are some
        EULA things which I would be wary of with Skype.

        I have heard a few people here talk about using Maptool that may be
        able to give some detailed information about how it works for them in
        gameplay, notable Eddy and Tir.

        Joe
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 4 2:25 PM
          joefrazierjr wrote:
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Our group has somebody that is going to get deployed at the end of April
          >> (Coast Guard so it isn't terribly bad). And we're talking about getting
          >> a setup for a remote player. Anyone have one that works for them and
          >> could I get a parts list of what they used?
          >>
          >> Paul Grosse
          >>

          > I have been trying to talk my DM into using Maptool (rptools.net), but
          > that's for local network connections with our group. I do know from
          > reading their forums that there a quite a few games that are 100%
          > virtual (meaning no face to face gaming) over the internet. A number
          > of those people use Ventrillo(sp?) for the live voice chat during
          > gaming sessions. Some people us Skype instead, but there are some
          > EULA things which I would be wary of with Skype.
          >
          > I have heard a few people here talk about using Maptool that may be
          > able to give some detailed information about how it works for them in
          > gameplay, notable Eddy and Tir.
          >
          > Joe

          I use all the RPTools programs for my game, it's not remote though. I've
          got a 42" HDTV with a G4 Mac hooked up to it, I run a copy of Maptools
          on that and drag my G5 iMac into the living room for the game. One of
          the nicer things about this setup is that at the end of the game I just
          hit save and it's all right there the next week. Same with the Inittool
          combat tracking program, you can save the state and the next session you
          know who's turn it is, what round it is and what spells are still in effect.

          I haven't played remotely but I do use Skype and have no problem with it

          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 4 3:14 PM
            Maptools works really well so long as you aren't sending huge map
            files. I've only used it on a LAN, and I don't use all the fancy
            lighting/vision stuff, just fog of war controlled by the DM. We've
            got 2 laptops at the game table, one running server for DM, and
            another for all the players hooked up to a nice graphics TV using
            S-Video. Usually one player does everyone's movement, just like when
            we used minis and had to reach across the table. But anyone can go
            over and do it themselves easily.

            The only issues I've had are:
            1) Map size (in KB) when sending a new map to the clients can bog down
            or hang the program.
            2) I can't use snap to grid because I use scanned in maps, which are a
            PITA if not impossible to make work correctly with their grid system
            on maps more than 5 squares by 5 squares.

            The solution we've had is to scan in no more than 450x450 (next time
            we are going to try 300x300 dpi) and to make sure connections are done
            and map transfers completed outside of game time.

            I love having all my monsters on the map, and hidden doors hidden but
            visible to me only. Select items, click "visible to players" and
            viola, encounter started, and everyone grabs their initiative die.

            PCGen LST Chimp
          • joefrazierjr
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 4 5:20 PM

              > I have been trying to talk my DM into using Maptool (rptools.net), but
              > that's for local network connections with our group. I do know from
              > reading their forums that there a quite a few games that are 100%
              > virtual (meaning no face to face gaming) over the internet. A number
              > of those people use Ventrillo(sp?) for the live voice chat during
              > gaming sessions. Some people us Skype instead, but there are some
              > EULA things which I would be wary of with Skype.
              >
              > I have heard a few people here talk about using Maptool that may be
              > able to give some detailed information about how it works for them in
              > gameplay, notable Eddy and Tir.
              >
              > Joe

              On another note, Maptool is currently getting new development features
              to allow individual vision, ie, each connected computer can have a
              specific vision range and type. This is currently in an alpha stage.

              They also have currently working vision based blocking where you may
              tag specific things (walls, doors,etc ) that would normally provide
              cover and the "characters" would only see things they could actually
              see based on line of site in 2D. So if you walk into a room and a
              mummy is behind a sarcophagus you have defined as blocking site, you
              would not see him until he moved or you moved into line of site.

              Joe
            • Harry C. Johnson
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 4 8:47 PM
                We have a couple of camPains going on that meet completely remotely
                (no face to face). We use FantasyGrounds, http://www.fantasygrounds.com.

                I have also been experimenting with openrpg, http://www.openrpg.com,
                again as well. It is open source and will run on multiple platforms. I
                prefer linux myself.

                Either of these would likely serve your needs and, to make it a little
                more on-topic, I believe both have mechanisms for importing pcgen
                characters.

                HTH,
                -Harry

                --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:

                > Our group has somebody that is going to get deployed at the end of April
                > (Coast Guard so it isn't terribly bad). And we're talking about getting
                > a setup for a remote player. Anyone have one that works for them and
                > could I get a parts list of what they used?
                >
                > Paul Grosse

              • Paul
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 6 7:24 PM
                  I should clarify what we are intending. :)

                  4 Players at table (+DM)

                  One guy at his base using a webcam and mic to play via speakers.
                  Basically I'm the only one with a laptop at the table, mainly for
                  HypertextSRD. :)

                • keith.davies@kjdavies.org
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 8 12:08 PM
                    On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:04:44PM -0000, joefrazierjr wrote:
                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Our group has somebody that is going to get deployed at the end of
                    > > April (Coast Guard so it isn't terribly bad). And we're talking
                    > > about getting a setup for a remote player. Anyone have one that
                    > > works for them and could I get a parts list of what they used?
                    >
                    > I have been trying to talk my DM into using Maptool (rptools.net), but
                    > that's for local network connections with our group. I do know from
                    > reading their forums that there a quite a few games that are 100%
                    > virtual (meaning no face to face gaming) over the internet. A number
                    > of those people use Ventrillo(sp?) for the live voice chat during
                    > gaming sessions. Some people us Skype instead, but there are some
                    > EULA things which I would be wary of with Skype.
                    >
                    > I have heard a few people here talk about using Maptool that may be
                    > able to give some detailed information about how it works for them in
                    > gameplay, notable Eddy and Tir.

                    I'll second Maptool for map and encounter management, but I'll also
                    mention that we use IRC (with a dicebot) for the bulk of the roleplay.
                    Of course, this game started with players from another IRC channel, so
                    that's what we were used to.

                    Keith
                    --
                    Keith Davies I married the moonshiner's daughter
                    keith.davies@... How could I go wrong?
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 8 12:13 PM
                      keith.davies@... wrote:
                      > On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 09:04:44PM -0000, joefrazierjr wrote:
                      >
                      >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Grosse" <paul.grosse@...> wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Our group has somebody that is going to get deployed at the end of
                      >>> April (Coast Guard so it isn't terribly bad). And we're talking
                      >>> about getting a setup for a remote player. Anyone have one that
                      >>> works for them and could I get a parts list of what they used?
                      >>>
                      >> I have been trying to talk my DM into using Maptool (rptools.net), but
                      >> that's for local network connections with our group. I do know from
                      >> reading their forums that there a quite a few games that are 100%
                      >> virtual (meaning no face to face gaming) over the internet. A number
                      >> of those people use Ventrillo(sp?) for the live voice chat during
                      >> gaming sessions. Some people us Skype instead, but there are some
                      >> EULA things which I would be wary of with Skype.
                      >>
                      >> I have heard a few people here talk about using Maptool that may be
                      >> able to give some detailed information about how it works for them in
                      >> gameplay, notable Eddy and Tir.
                      >>

                      > I'll second Maptool for map and encounter management, but I'll also
                      > mention that we use IRC (with a dicebot) for the bulk of the roleplay.
                      > Of course, this game started with players from another IRC channel, so
                      > that's what we were used to.

                      Maptool also has a chat window built into it which has the ability to
                      make dice rolls among other things.

                      --
                      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                    • keith.davies@kjdavies.org
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 8 12:18 PM
                        On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 03:13:06PM -0400, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                        > keith.davies@... wrote:

                        > >> I have been trying to talk my DM into using Maptool (rptools.net), but
                        > >> that's for local network connections with our group. I do know from
                        > >> reading their forums that there a quite a few games that are 100%
                        > >> virtual (meaning no face to face gaming) over the internet. A number
                        > >> of those people use Ventrillo(sp?) for the live voice chat during
                        > >> gaming sessions. Some people us Skype instead, but there are some
                        > >> EULA things which I would be wary of with Skype.
                        > >>
                        > >> I have heard a few people here talk about using Maptool that may be
                        > >> able to give some detailed information about how it works for them in
                        > >> gameplay, notable Eddy and Tir.
                        > >
                        > > I'll second Maptool for map and encounter management, but I'll also
                        > > mention that we use IRC (with a dicebot) for the bulk of the roleplay.
                        > > Of course, this game started with players from another IRC channel, so
                        > > that's what we were used to.
                        >
                        > Maptool also has a chat window built into it which has the ability to
                        > make dice rolls among other things.

                        It does, but my group didn't care for it.

                        Maptool also has programmable buttons you can attach to dice rolls and
                        (IIRC) strings.

                        Keith
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 8 12:20 PM
                          On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 02:24:10AM -0000, Paul wrote:
                          > I should clarify what we are intending. :)
                          >
                          > 4 Players at table (+DM)
                          >
                          > One guy at his base using a webcam and mic to play via speakers.
                          > Basically I'm the only one with a laptop at the table, mainly for
                          > HypertextSRD. :)

                          Ah yes, Full Frontal Nerdity:
                          http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ffn/index.php

                          Keith
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 8 8:40 PM
                            Well we did have a similar situation at one time where all but two
                            guys could make it for a face to face game weekend. In that case, we
                            mounted a webcam on one of my ludwig cymbal stands above the game mat
                            and an omnidirectional microphone and ran them through yahoo
                            messenger. That worked okay, but the two dimensional view made it hard
                            for the remote guys to make out the different minis. We ended up
                            sticking different colored foil hershey kiss wrappers on the heads of
                            the minis. Effective and delicious. We also wrote little numbers in
                            the corners of the squares for reference. "So I take a 5' step into
                            square 15 to flank the hill giant."

                            YMMV,
                            -Harry