PCGen is going to Gencon! (Yes, we're fishing for donations again ;p)

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 28 2:36 AM
      Hi all,

      **** I will match each donation $ for $ ****

      Well as you know several PCGen team members (Eddy, Eric and Paul G) +
      a few kind volunteers from the community (Gene, Paul L + 1) are going
      to be representing PCGen at Gencon.

      Obviously this is one of the best ways to provide a massive PR boost
      for PCGen which in the past has brought in _lots_ more users, some new
      developers and lots of new agreements with Publishers (which means
      more data sets for you guys).

      Since this is the first time we're registering our own booth, we'd
      like to do this as properly as possible, and unfortunately that means
      spending a few gold pieces :).

      Thanks to kind donations over the years we currently have:

      959.50 + ($130 waiting to be cleared from easter) = $1089.50

      Our main cost is for the Booth:
      -------------------------------

      $1100.00

      (Entr. rate for 10ft x 10ft). Now we're hoping to share this space
      with another group (another Open source role playing related group or
      one of our supported publishers), so hopefully that cost will go down
      to $550

      Optional costs:
      ---------------

      CDs: ~$1000.00 (Qty 1000 B/W Insert, Front/Back)
      Flyers: ~$250 (Qty 1000)
      Business Cards: $0 (Team will provide themselves)
      Banner: ~$150 (No clue)
      TShirts: ~? ("I got PCGen for free and all I bought was
      this T-shirt!")

      So as you can see we currently have the booth covered (which at the
      end of the day covers our minimum need), but we'd like to do more!

      So if you've ever thought of donating to PCGen then we humbly suggest
      that now is a pretty good time :)

      Now I really want us to make an impact over there so as stated above:

      **** I will match each donation $ for $ ****

      So, make the Chair Monkey pay for all that teh Ninja Monkerys have
      ever done to you!

      Karianna
      Chair Monkey - PCGen Board of Directors
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 28 2:38 AM
        Oh yeah, I almost forgot!

        If you do wish to donate then please follow one of the Donate links on
        our home page at:

        http:/pcgen.sf.net

      • Matt
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 28 3:39 PM
          I went to the donations page, signed in, and was reading the FAQs and
          had a question: Is the PCGen project tax-deductible?

          The FAQ says that most SourceForge projects are not tax-deductible,
          but that it is best to contact the project in question.

          If not, it might be something worth pursuing. I don't believe it is
          that difficult, and the amounts on money that the PCGen site looks to
          raise are probably worth it, and more than some tax-deductible
          organizations raise.

          Perhaps more importantly, tax-exempt status makes it easier to raise
          more money and get donations of materials and services. If it was
          tax-deductible, for example, I might be able to donate 'through' my
          fiancee and have the donation doubled (up to a point) by her company.

          Another, grander and more complicated idea would be to have an
          overall, umbrella SF tax-deductible organization that parses the money
          out to projects according to the donors' wishes, centralizing the
          bookkeeping.

          Just some thoughts,

          Matt
        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 31 12:46 AM
            Hi Matt,

            Yes we've looked into some of these options. I'll raise the
            tax-deductible status with the BoD, I'm not sure if that's workable
            without having some sort of legal organisational structure around
            PCGen (which is something we don't have and at this stage aren't
            looking to have).

            Thanks!

            > I went to the donations page, signed in, and was reading the FAQs and
            > had a question: Is the PCGen project tax-deductible?
            >
            > The FAQ says that most SourceForge projects are not tax-deductible,
            > but that it is best to contact the project in question.
            >
            > If not, it might be something worth pursuing. I don't believe it is
            > that difficult, and the amounts on money that the PCGen site looks to
            > raise are probably worth it, and more than some tax-deductible
            > organizations raise.
            >
            > Perhaps more importantly, tax-exempt status makes it easier to raise
            > more money and get donations of materials and services. If it was
            > tax-deductible, for example, I might be able to donate 'through' my
            > fiancee and have the donation doubled (up to a point) by her company.
            >
            > Another, grander and more complicated idea would be to have an
            > overall, umbrella SF tax-deductible organization that parses the money
            > out to projects according to the donors' wishes, centralizing the
            > bookkeeping.
            >
            > Just some thoughts,
            >
            > Matt

          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 2, 2008
              Hi all,

              The good news is that some very kind people have donated a total of
              $222 so far!!! I have matched that and will continue to do so, so
              please make the Chair Monkey pay!

              On a side note it looks like PCGen donations can't be Tax deductible
              without PCGen becoming some sort of legal entity first. At this stage
              we're not in a position to form a legal entity although it is
              something we'll revisit in the future.

              Thanks again everyone for all of your wonderful support :)

              > Hi Matt,
              >
              > Yes we've looked into some of these options. I'll raise the
              > tax-deductible status with the BoD, I'm not sure if that's workable
              > without having some sort of legal organisational structure around
              > PCGen (which is something we don't have and at this stage aren't
              > looking to have).
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > > Hi,
              > > I went to the donations page, signed in, and was reading the FAQs and
              > > had a question: Is the PCGen project tax-deductible?
              > >
              > > The FAQ says that most SourceForge projects are not tax-deductible,
              > > but that it is best to contact the project in question.
              > >
              > > If not, it might be something worth pursuing. I don't believe it is
              > > that difficult, and the amounts on money that the PCGen site looks to
              > > raise are probably worth it, and more than some tax-deductible
              > > organizations raise.
              > >
              > > Perhaps more importantly, tax-exempt status makes it easier to raise
              > > more money and get donations of materials and services. If it was
              > > tax-deductible, for example, I might be able to donate 'through' my
              > > fiancee and have the donation doubled (up to a point) by her company.
              > >
              > > Another, grander and more complicated idea would be to have an
              > > overall, umbrella SF tax-deductible organization that parses the money
              > > out to projects according to the donors' wishes, centralizing the
              > > bookkeeping.
              > >
              > > Just some thoughts,
              > >
              > > Matt

            • thaldorf
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 3, 2008
                wrote:

                > Oh yeah, I almost forgot!
                >
                > If you do wish to donate then please follow one of the Donate links on
                > our home page at:
                >
                > http:/pcgen.sf.net

                Is there a way to make an anonymous donation?
              • Martijn Verburg
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 3, 2008
                  Hmm, you used to able to donate anonymously in SF, but it appears no
                  longer.

                  You can make a Paypal payment directly to:

                  pcgenpaypal AT gmail DOT com

                  I'm not 100% sure if you can send $ to a Paypal account anonymously,
                  but donating that way would mean you are not displayed on the
                  sourceforge donation page.

                  Does that help?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 3, 2008
                    I wanted to make a donation because I want to help, not because I
                    wanted recognition for it.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 3, 2008
                      I totally understand your stance on that one, and I _think_ the direct
                      paypal to the pcgenpaypal AT gmail DOT com will do the trick - K

                      > I wanted to make a donation because I want to help, not because I
                      > wanted recognition for it.
                      >

                      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hmm, you used to able to donate anonymously in SF, but it appears no
                      > > longer.
                      > >
                      > > You can make a Paypal payment directly to:
                      > >
                      > > pcgenpaypal AT gmail DOT com
                      > >
                      > > I'm not 100% sure if you can send $ to a Paypal account anonymously,
                      > > but donating that way would mean you are not displayed on the
                      > > sourceforge donation page.
                      > >
                      > > Does that help?

                      > links on

                      > > > Is there a way to make an anonymous donation?

                    • Terry FitzSimons
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 3, 2008
                        On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 13:56:07 -0000, "thaldorf" <thaldorf@...> wrote:

                        >--- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@...>
                        >wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Oh yeah, I almost forgot!
                        >>
                        >> If you do wish to donate then please follow one of the Donate links on
                        >> our home page at:
                        >>
                        >> http:/pcgen.sf.net

                        >Is there a way to make an anonymous donation?

                        I'm wondering how long is the dwell period between the donation and the
                        note appears? Made two to see if the lack of a comment actually does make
                        the donation anonymous. So far neither has showed up.
                        --

                        Terry FitzSimons
                        FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                        Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
                      • Martijn Verburg
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 4, 2008
                          Hi Terry,

                          It can take a few days to clear, unfortunately looking at the
                          historical list of donations it's not the lack of comment that makes
                          it anonymous. I do see anonymous donations in the list (from the
                          past) but I don't see how it can be done now :(