PCGen has gone Beta and we need your help!

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2008
      Hi all,

      As you've just seen posted, PCGen has released its first Beta
      (5.13.11) for the upcoming 5.14 production release.

      Since the 5.10.x series began, we've managed to out out increasingly
      polished production releases and we're keen to continue that trend!

      A major factor in getting that polished release was the enthusiasm and
      support our community gave in shredding our poor little Beta's to
      pieces :).

      So it's time to challenge our team once more! We'd love for as many
      of you to Download the Beta, install it:

      * Separately from your production version of course!
      * Also make sure that the 'pcgen directory' it prompts you to pick on
      initial start up is _not_ the same as what you use for your current
      production. You can always copy in option.ini files etc if need be.

      And then use it as you normally would! We want you to do things like:

      * Transfer over your existing characters
      * Output your character in the various different output sheets
      * Try some new data sources!
      * Explore every Tab and every option that you can get your paws on
      (there are lots of exciting new ones!)

      Then of course report back any strangeness to us right here and we'll
      start the triage!

      Thanks in advance for helping us out :)

      Karianna
      Chair - Board of Directors - PCGen
    • musicguerilla
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 16, 2008
        This is an **OLD** issue from over a year ago but still in the files:

        The Legendary Dreadnaught epic class is still not being recognized by
        pcgen: the epic BAB bonus is not stacking with the regular class BAB
        and so when you get to 21st level or even higher than that, it won't
        allow you to take the class. Says you do not meet the prereq for the
        BAB 21.

        on the other hand, it does show it on the preview screen for both bab
        and saves if you go beyond 20th level in other classes so i don't
        know what it is about that particular class that persists even now.

        I have win xp sp2 with all the latest updates, and java 5.0 runtime
        also with the proper updates, running pcgen 5.13.11 win exe install
        file into a separate folder :)

        Bri

        "What, ANOTHER wave of enemies is attacking us???" "Oh, stop whining!
        It's XP, man!!!"

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 16, 2008
          Oh, and i am playing a straight Fighter class with 21 levels. i had
          to use the suggestion from before and copy then alter the legendary
          dreadnaught info and change the PREATT to 20. I called it Legendary
          Dreadnaught Working so it would not conflict with the original (and
          legitimately took it at level 22 of course) and that works fine, so
          it is just the way the program is looking at the first 20 levels of
          BAB and stacking those with the Epic level BAB points.

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "musicguerilla" <musicguerilla@...>
          wrote:

          > This is an **OLD** issue from over a year ago but still in the
          files:

          > The Legendary Dreadnaught epic class is still not being recognized
          by
          > pcgen: the epic BAB bonus is not stacking with the regular class
          BAB
          > and so when you get to 21st level or even higher than that, it
          won't
          > allow you to take the class. Says you do not meet the prereq for
          the
          > BAB 21.
          >
          > on the other hand, it does show it on the preview screen for both
          bab
          > and saves if you go beyond 20th level in other classes so i don't
          > know what it is about that particular class that persists even now.
          >
          > I have win xp sp2 with all the latest updates, and java 5.0 runtime
          > also with the proper updates, running pcgen 5.13.11 win exe install
          > file into a separate folder :)
          >
          > Bri
          >
          > "What, ANOTHER wave of enemies is attacking us???" "Oh, stop
          whining!
          > It's XP, man!!!"

        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 16, 2008
            musicguerilla scribed:

            > This is an **OLD** issue from over a year ago but still in the files:
            >
            > The Legendary Dreadnaught epic class is still not being recognized by
            > pcgen: the epic BAB bonus is not stacking with the regular class BAB
            > and so when you get to 21st level or even higher than that, it won't
            > allow you to take the class. Says you do not meet the prereq for the
            > BAB 21.
            >
            > on the other hand, it does show it on the preview screen for both bab
            > and saves if you go beyond 20th level in other classes so i don't
            > know what it is about that particular class that persists even now.

            Hi musicguerilla
            Actually I think it's working. The actual requirement is a BAB of 23,
            once a class hit's 21 the class BAB progression stops and the Epic to hit
            bonus kicks in which is +1 at level 21 and every 2 levels thereafter. This
            means a Fighter will not qualify until level 25 and I just tested this and
            it works, a 25 level Fighter passes the PRE tag set up for this requirement
            which is "var: BAB+var("BONUS.COMBAT.TOHIT.Epic") at least 23".
            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          • musicguerilla
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 16, 2008
              OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!!! all this time i thought it was 21 not 23 lol I
              am very sorry bout that!!!

              Bri

              > musicguerilla scribed:
              >
              > > This is an **OLD** issue from over a year ago but still in the
              files:

              > > The Legendary Dreadnaught epic class is still not being
              recognized by
              > > pcgen: the epic BAB bonus is not stacking with the regular class
              BAB
              > > and so when you get to 21st level or even higher than that, it
              won't
              > > allow you to take the class. Says you do not meet the prereq for
              the
              > > BAB 21.
              > >
              > > on the other hand, it does show it on the preview screen for both
              bab
              > > and saves if you go beyond 20th level in other classes so i don't
              > > know what it is about that particular class that persists even
              now.

              > Hi musicguerilla
              > Actually I think it's working. The actual requirement is a BAB
              of 23,
              > once a class hit's 21 the class BAB progression stops and the Epic
              to hit
              > bonus kicks in which is +1 at level 21 and every 2 levels
              thereafter. This
              > means a Fighter will not qualify until level 25 and I just tested
              this and
              > it works, a 25 level Fighter passes the PRE tag set up for this
              requirement
              > which is "var: BAB+var("BONUS.COMBAT.TOHIT.Epic") at least 23".
              > --
              > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              > ~ Chair Second, PCGen Board of Directors
              > ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin

            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 16, 2008
                musicguerilla scribed:

                > OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS!!! all this time i thought it was 21 not 23 lol I
                > am very sorry bout that!!!

                He he. No problem, it never hurts to take another look at things. Thanks for
                reporting even if it did turn out not to be an issue.
                --
                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)