Re: Adding Trapsmith Prestige Class.
> I did read the docs actually. There is quite good info on how to addYou don't need to be a programmer, you just need to learn some fairly
> new domains, races, feats, dieties, etc. I don't see anything on
> classes although I am sure alot of the variable tags would apply to
> classes as well. I am not a programmer (I am an art teacher). If
> someone could give me a rough guide to adding classes. If its
> something you think is beyond my capability let me know as I don't
> really have hours to figure out how to do this.
simple tags. If you look in the PcGen\PCGen5139\data directory, you
will see a folder named my_dataset which contains several files. Here
are my suggested steps:
1) Make of copy of my_dataset with a different name
2) in the new folder you just created, open the .pcc file named
3) change the CAMPAIGN tag's value (everything AFTER the colon) to
your value, usually the name of your world or something else you can
4) on or around line 20, you will see some items "commented out" with
an octothorp (this is the official name, but most people call it pound
sign or hash sign), looks like this: #
5) find the one name CLASS and remove the octothorp/pound sign.
6) now open the my_clases.lst file. This will contain a LOT of
commented out information and a sample class (Rouge) also commented out.
7) add your class information with each tag seperated by a tab(it is
IMPERATIVE that you use tabs and not spaces) using the example as a
guide. For example, if your class(lets call it class "blah" has d8
for Hitdice, you would add HD:8 somewhere after the class name on the
same line or another one that begins with the CLASS:blah
1) make sure you are using a TEXT editor (ie, NOT a word processing
program). If you are on windows, I would suggest notepad.
2) This assumes you have read the docs located in the help files under
the following sections:
List Files->LST Token Documentation Standards
List Files->Important Things to Know
List Files->New Source Development Process
List Files->PCC and List Files Explained
3) Case is VITAL. if you get it wrong, it won't work.
I think that about covers it.
Now open PCGen and select the SRD source you usually do AND the new
source you just created and load. The new class should show up in the
At this point, if you need specific help (such as "how do I give my
the character 2 extra spells at 5th, 10th, and 15th level", post to
the PCGenListFileHelp group as that's where the people who do the
coding tend to hang out. Also, under List Files->List File Tag Index
is a list of every single possible tag you can use. Tags either say
what type of thing they work in such as Feat, Class, etc OR are Global
which means they should work in pretty much any type of thingy.
Hope this helps,