Re: Forgotten Realms character regions

  • taluroniscandar
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2008
      > In the D&D Forgotten Realms campaign setting a character is supposed
      > choose a region, which then opens up regional feats to that
      character.
      > What is the best way of doing this with the program? In the past I
      have
      > given the character a rank in knowledge local: "relevant region", but
      > this means gifting them free skill points. There must be a better way
      > of doing this.

      You can do this two ways that I have seen.

      One is to create (or .MOD) the races to make the Regional adjustments
      ie.

      Human (Sembia)
      Human (Dalelands)
      etc.
      Change the LANGAUTO and LANGBONUD tags, set CSKILL inside the race,
      etc. Then set a PRERACE:1,Human (Sembia) into the regional feats.

      If you intend to do just the handful you need this is probably the
      easiest method.

      Another method is to create pcgen Templates for the Regions and have
      the regoinals extras/specifics be assigned by the templates. Then have
      each Character take one of the templates before selecting his first
      class levels: Set a PRETEMPLATE:xxx into the regional feats.

      If you are going to set up a comprehensive FR setup this is easier as
      you only need one template per region, as opposed to several race
      entries per region.

      To see a stub version of the second method go to
      data\alpha\sovereignpress\sovereignstone\
      and examine the sovereigntemplates.lst file.
      Some of the clans/countries were done in this fashion.

      You prbably can set this up with ABILITY and Categories as well. I
      haven't done on of these since Ability became available. I've always
      used the templaet method.

      In pcgen, templates are class/level and race independent as are
      regional benefits.
    • David R. Bender
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2008
        Add a Races file for each race, for instance "Human (FR)" or "Elf (FR)".
        If you are going to do all the permutations, you will need to code each
        of them up. As the last token on the line add the REGION tag (Global
        Other). Then create a KITS file and use the REGION tag (Starting Kit) to
        define the all the benefits for taking that region.

        -- David
        Papa-DRB

        Grognard <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Grognard.html>
        My better half and me <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>