Forgotten Realms character regions

  • clancypc
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2008
      In the D&D Forgotten Realms campaign setting a character is supposed to
      choose a region, which then opens up regional feats to that character.
      What is the best way of doing this with the program? In the past I have
      given the character a rank in knowledge local: "relevant region", but
      this means gifting them free skill points. There must be a better way
      of doing this.
      Thanks
      Peter
    • taluroniscandar
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2008
        > In the D&D Forgotten Realms campaign setting a character is supposed
        > choose a region, which then opens up regional feats to that
        character.
        > What is the best way of doing this with the program? In the past I
        have
        > given the character a rank in knowledge local: "relevant region", but
        > this means gifting them free skill points. There must be a better way
        > of doing this.

        You can do this two ways that I have seen.

        One is to create (or .MOD) the races to make the Regional adjustments
        ie.

        Human (Sembia)
        Human (Dalelands)
        etc.
        Change the LANGAUTO and LANGBONUD tags, set CSKILL inside the race,
        etc. Then set a PRERACE:1,Human (Sembia) into the regional feats.

        If you intend to do just the handful you need this is probably the
        easiest method.

        Another method is to create pcgen Templates for the Regions and have
        the regoinals extras/specifics be assigned by the templates. Then have
        each Character take one of the templates before selecting his first
        class levels: Set a PRETEMPLATE:xxx into the regional feats.

        If you are going to set up a comprehensive FR setup this is easier as
        you only need one template per region, as opposed to several race
        entries per region.

        To see a stub version of the second method go to
        data\alpha\sovereignpress\sovereignstone\
        and examine the sovereigntemplates.lst file.
        Some of the clans/countries were done in this fashion.

        You prbably can set this up with ABILITY and Categories as well. I
        haven't done on of these since Ability became available. I've always
        used the templaet method.

        In pcgen, templates are class/level and race independent as are
        regional benefits.
      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2008
          Add a Races file for each race, for instance "Human (FR)" or "Elf (FR)".
          If you are going to do all the permutations, you will need to code each
          of them up. As the last token on the line add the REGION tag (Global
          Other). Then create a KITS file and use the REGION tag (Starting Kit) to
          define the all the benefits for taking that region.

          -- David
          Papa-DRB

          Grognard <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Grognard.html>
          My better half and me <http://home.hvc.rr.com/davidstuff/Nana-and-Papa2.JPG>