Re: DMing question

  • taluroniscandar
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4 1:41 PM
      > > It appears that in PC-gen if you have a weapon (sword) that is
      wielded
      > > one-handed and you make a masterwork version out of Mithral you
      may
      > > now use the weapon finesse feat. Is this a PC-Gen bug, or a 3.5
      rule?

      > Rules.
      >
      > Mithril changes the category of the weapon and that moves it into
      the
      > finesseable category.

      No, it does not. The rsrd rule is:
      ---
      Mithral
      Mithral is a very rare silvery, glistening metal that is lighter than
      iron but just as hard. When worked like steel, it becomes a wonderful
      material from which to create armor and is occasionally used for
      other items as well. Most mithral armors are one category lighter
      than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy
      armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light,
      but light armors are still treated as light. Spell failure chances
      for armors and shields made from mithral are decreased by 10%,
      maximum Dexterity bonus is increased by 2, and armor check penalties
      are lessened by 3 (to a minimum of 0).

      An item made from mithral weighs half as much as the same item made
      from other metals. In the case of weapons, this lighter weight does
      not change a weapon's size category or the ease with which it can be
      wielded (whether it is light, one-handed, or two-handed). Items not
      primarily of metal are not meaningfully affected by being partially
      made of mithral. (A longsword can be a mithral weapon, while a scythe
      cannot be.)
      ---

      2nd para, 2nd line. "does not change"
      Mithril only changes the category on armor.

      It's odd though, I don't remember the rsrd dataset doing that.
      [hunt through rsrd_equipmods_enhancing.lst]
      Nope, Mithril eqmod does not do this.
      Halves the weight and gives the masterwork +1 to -hit is all.

      Something else must be causing it to happen.

      Which sword is it?
      Perhaps the sword itself is coded incorrectly.
    • Barak
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4 2:43 PM

        Huh, I thought it did both. My bad.

        Barak
      • James Dempsey
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5 12:44 AM

          On 5/03/2008 7:04 AM fighter1610 wrote
          > It appears that in PC-gen if you have a weapon (sword) that is wielded
          > one-handed and you make a masterwork version out of Mithral you may
          > now use the weapon finesse feat. Is this a PC-Gen bug, or a 3.5 rule?

          What data sources and PCGen version are you using?

          James Dempsey
          PCGen Code SB
        • fighter1610
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7 6:24 PM
            Humm, I checked it in PC-Gen 3.12 and it looks like it works correctly
            . I saw (or thought I saw) the issue in PC-Gen 3.10 (which will not
            run on my machine now)..... Thanks.