RE: [pcgen] DMing question

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008

      Rules.

      Mithril changes the category of the weapon and that moves it into the
      finesseable category.

      Barak
    • taluroniscandar
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
        > > It appears that in PC-gen if you have a weapon (sword) that is
        wielded
        > > one-handed and you make a masterwork version out of Mithral you
        may
        > > now use the weapon finesse feat. Is this a PC-Gen bug, or a 3.5
        rule?

        > Rules.
        >
        > Mithril changes the category of the weapon and that moves it into
        the
        > finesseable category.

        No, it does not. The rsrd rule is:
        ---
        Mithral
        Mithral is a very rare silvery, glistening metal that is lighter than
        iron but just as hard. When worked like steel, it becomes a wonderful
        material from which to create armor and is occasionally used for
        other items as well. Most mithral armors are one category lighter
        than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy
        armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light,
        but light armors are still treated as light. Spell failure chances
        for armors and shields made from mithral are decreased by 10%,
        maximum Dexterity bonus is increased by 2, and armor check penalties
        are lessened by 3 (to a minimum of 0).

        An item made from mithral weighs half as much as the same item made
        from other metals. In the case of weapons, this lighter weight does
        not change a weapon's size category or the ease with which it can be
        wielded (whether it is light, one-handed, or two-handed). Items not
        primarily of metal are not meaningfully affected by being partially
        made of mithral. (A longsword can be a mithral weapon, while a scythe
        cannot be.)
        ---

        2nd para, 2nd line. "does not change"
        Mithril only changes the category on armor.

        It's odd though, I don't remember the rsrd dataset doing that.
        [hunt through rsrd_equipmods_enhancing.lst]
        Nope, Mithril eqmod does not do this.
        Halves the weight and gives the masterwork +1 to -hit is all.

        Something else must be causing it to happen.

        Which sword is it?
        Perhaps the sword itself is coded incorrectly.
      • Barak
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008

          Huh, I thought it did both. My bad.

          Barak
        • James Dempsey
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008

            On 5/03/2008 7:04 AM fighter1610 wrote
            > It appears that in PC-gen if you have a weapon (sword) that is wielded
            > one-handed and you make a masterwork version out of Mithral you may
            > now use the weapon finesse feat. Is this a PC-Gen bug, or a 3.5 rule?

            What data sources and PCGen version are you using?

            James Dempsey
            PCGen Code SB
          • fighter1610
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2008
              Humm, I checked it in PC-Gen 3.12 and it looks like it works correctly
              . I saw (or thought I saw) the issue in PC-Gen 3.10 (which will not
              run on my machine now)..... Thanks.