DMing question

  • fighter1610
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
      It appears that in PC-gen if you have a weapon (sword) that is wielded
      one-handed and you make a masterwork version out of Mithral you may
      now use the weapon finesse feat. Is this a PC-Gen bug, or a 3.5 rule?
    • Barak
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008

        Rules.

        Mithril changes the category of the weapon and that moves it into the
        finesseable category.

        Barak
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008
          > > It appears that in PC-gen if you have a weapon (sword) that is
          wielded
          > > one-handed and you make a masterwork version out of Mithral you
          may
          > > now use the weapon finesse feat. Is this a PC-Gen bug, or a 3.5
          rule?

          > Rules.
          >
          > Mithril changes the category of the weapon and that moves it into
          the
          > finesseable category.

          No, it does not. The rsrd rule is:
          ---
          Mithral
          Mithral is a very rare silvery, glistening metal that is lighter than
          iron but just as hard. When worked like steel, it becomes a wonderful
          material from which to create armor and is occasionally used for
          other items as well. Most mithral armors are one category lighter
          than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy
          armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light,
          but light armors are still treated as light. Spell failure chances
          for armors and shields made from mithral are decreased by 10%,
          maximum Dexterity bonus is increased by 2, and armor check penalties
          are lessened by 3 (to a minimum of 0).

          An item made from mithral weighs half as much as the same item made
          from other metals. In the case of weapons, this lighter weight does
          not change a weapon's size category or the ease with which it can be
          wielded (whether it is light, one-handed, or two-handed). Items not
          primarily of metal are not meaningfully affected by being partially
          made of mithral. (A longsword can be a mithral weapon, while a scythe
          cannot be.)
          ---

          2nd para, 2nd line. "does not change"
          Mithril only changes the category on armor.

          It's odd though, I don't remember the rsrd dataset doing that.
          [hunt through rsrd_equipmods_enhancing.lst]
          Nope, Mithril eqmod does not do this.
          Halves the weight and gives the masterwork +1 to -hit is all.

          Something else must be causing it to happen.

          Which sword is it?
          Perhaps the sword itself is coded incorrectly.
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 4, 2008

            Huh, I thought it did both. My bad.

            Barak
          • James Dempsey
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2008

              On 5/03/2008 7:04 AM fighter1610 wrote
              > It appears that in PC-gen if you have a weapon (sword) that is wielded
              > one-handed and you make a masterwork version out of Mithral you may
              > now use the weapon finesse feat. Is this a PC-Gen bug, or a 3.5 rule?

              What data sources and PCGen version are you using?

              James Dempsey
              PCGen Code SB
            • fighter1610
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 7, 2008
                Humm, I checked it in PC-Gen 3.12 and it looks like it works correctly
                . I saw (or thought I saw) the issue in PC-Gen 3.10 (which will not
                run on my machine now)..... Thanks.