Logging Levels (was Re: [pcgen] [Bug]? Loading Modern Complete SRD (Latest SVN build))

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2008
      Hi Eddy,

      On 04/03/2008, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:

      > Aside: your post made me wonder what your debugging settings were so I
      > checked mine and realised I didn't know what was what and I'm not even
      > sure I'm talking about the same things.
      >
      > There is a Menu option in Debug > Logging Level, these option are not in
      > the docs yet. They look self explanatory but I'm still not sure what
      > they all include and how it works. Could a coder comment on these
      > options so we can doc them please?

      The levels listed in the menu are in increasing level of detail, "errors"
      being the least level of output and "debug" the greatest. Changing the
      setting here only changes it for your current PCGen session. Selecting "LST
      Warnings", the default, will show errors, LST errors, warnings and LST
      warnings but not any debug output for instance. What gets put at what level
      is a coding decision mostly, but here are some examples:

      - Error - All exceptions etc
      - LST Error - LST error output, e.g. where a token syntax is incorrect
      - Warnings - Alerts on things that might have an impact on the current
      session
      - LST Warnings - Deprecated syntax use and other warnings on LST code
      - LST Info - LST information such as references to missing items in
      PRE or CHOOSE tags
      - Debug - Code tracing info

      To make a persistent change you need to modify the logging.properties file
      in the pcgen directory. The file has lots of entries, but the last few lines
      there control the general output level. The names used are slightly
      different in the file, but there are comments in the file on what names
      should be used.

      Also I have a question about the console, I run my development build
      > from line command in the Terminal app (Mac) and when I say console
      > messages I mean what gets output there, but there is also the Console
      > window you can open from Debug > Console. I've always assumed that they
      > both output the same (when I causally checked this seemed to be the
      > case) but it that actually the case?

      Yes that is the case. There was a short time when this wasn't the case
      after the new logging was first implemented, but that bug has been fixed.
      The Debug > Console option is there for those who do not run PCGen from the
      command line. It also reports some useful environmental information when
      first displayed (Java version, folders etc).

      James Dempsey
      PCGen Code SB

    • Eddy
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2008
        Thanks for the info James, I've opened a Doc FREQ for this:

        http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
        func=detail&aid=1907217&group_id=25576&atid=748235

        -Eddy