[BUG] [TM] Creating new MSRD Character causes NPE

  • Tom Parker
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 29, 2008
      Can someone track down if this a preview sheet problem or a code problem?

      20:03:55.765 SEVERE AWT-EventQueue-1 GameMode:3197 Attempt to fetch
      AbilityCateg
      ory: Mutation... but it does not exist
      20:03:55.765 SEVERE AWT-EventQueue-1 ExportHandler:2439 Error
      replacing ABILITYL
      IST.Mutation
      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at
      pcgen.io.exporttoken.AbilityListToken.getTokenForCategory(AbilityList
      Token.java:110)
      at
      pcgen.io.exporttoken.AbilityListToken.getToken(AbilityListToken.java:
      89)
      at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.replaceToken(ExportHandler.java:2405)
      at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.getVarValue(ExportHandler.java:332)
      at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.processLoop(ExportHandler.java:816)
      at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.loopFOR(ExportHandler.java:770)
      at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.write(ExportHandler.java:216)
      at
      pcgen.gui.tabs.InfoCharacterSheet.updateCharacterInfo(InfoCharacterSh
      eet.java:174)
      at
      pcgen.gui.tabs.BaseCharacterInfoTab.forceRefresh(BaseCharacterInfoTab
      .java:70)
      at
      pcgen.gui.tabs.InfoCharacterSheet.setSheet(InfoCharacterSheet.java:29
      2)
      at
      pcgen.gui.tabs.CharacterSheetSelectionPanel.buildCombo(InfoCharacterS
      heet.java:381)
      at
      pcgen.gui.tabs.CharacterSheetSelectionPanel.initComponents(InfoCharac
      terSheet.java:323)
      at
      pcgen.gui.tabs.CharacterSheetSelectionPanel.<init>(InfoCharacterSheet
      .java:312)
      at
      pcgen.gui.tabs.SelectPanel.initComponents(InfoCharacterSheet.java:414
      )
      at pcgen.gui.tabs.SelectPanel.<init>(InfoCharacterSheet.java:405)
      at
      pcgen.gui.tabs.InfoCharacterSheet.initComponents(InfoCharacterSheet.j
      ava:259)
      at
      pcgen.gui.tabs.InfoCharacterSheet.access$000(InfoCharacterSheet.java:
      78)
      at
      pcgen.gui.tabs.InfoCharacterSheet$1.run(InfoCharacterSheet.java:95)
      at
      pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent(PCGen_Frame
      1.java:2815)
      at
      java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
      Source)
      20:03:55.765 SEVERE AWT-EventQueue-1 GameMode:3197 Attempt to fetch
      AbilityCateg
      ory: Mutation... but it does not exist
      20:03:55.781 SEVERE AWT-EventQueue-1 ExportHandler:2439 Error
      replacing ABILITYL
      IST.Mutation
      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at
      pcgen.io.exporttoken.AbilityListToken.getTokenForCategory(AbilityList
      Token.java:110)
      at
      pcgen.io.exporttoken.AbilityListToken.getToken(AbilityListToken.java:
      89)
      at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.replaceToken(ExportHandler.java:2405)
      at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.getVarValue(ExportHandler.java:332)
      at pcgen.io.ExportHandler.processLoop(ExportHandler.java:817)
[...]

      20:03:59.765 SEVERE AWT-EventQueue-1 GameMode:3197 Attempt to fetch
      AbilityCateg
      ory: Mutation... but it does not exist
      20:04:02.171 SEVERE AWT-EventQueue-1 ExportHandler:2439 Error
[...]
      pcgen.gui.tabs.BaseCharacterInfoTab.setPc(BaseCharacterInfoTab.java:1
      71)
      at
      pcgen.gui.tabs.InfoCharacterSheet.setPc(InfoCharacterSheet.java:128)
      at
      pcgen.gui.CharacterInfo$PcSetter.finished(CharacterInfo.java:487)
      at pcgen.util.SwingWorker$1.run(SwingWorker.java:134)
      at
      pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent(PCGen_Frame
      1.java:2815)
      at
      java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)

      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
      Source)
      20:04:02.171 SEVERE AWT-EventQueue-1 GameMode:3197 Attempt to fetch
[...]

    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
        Hi Tom/All,

        I'm afraid I know nothing about Modern, how do I get PCGen to allow me
        to pick a Mutation?

      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
          Martijn Verburg wrote:
          > Hi Tom/All,
          >
          > I'm afraid I know nothing about Modern, how do I get PCGen to allow me
          > to pick a Mutation?

          I works like the Flaws/Merits system. You need to choose some
          TYPE:Drawback mutations which will add points to the pool and then you
          can add advantageous mutations.

          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        • Thomas Clegg
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
            > I works like the Flaws/Merits system. You need to choose some
            > TYPE:Drawback mutations which will add points to the pool and then
            you
            > can add advantageous mutations.
            >
            > --
            > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            > ~ Chair Second, PCGen Board of Directors
            > ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin

            Speaking of Flaws... :)

            In getting things together for a game, I found a few moments to
            update the Flaws/Traits from Unearthed Arcana to use the Abilities
            feature. Should I upload just them to the files section or should I
            add them back into the zip file they were originally in and reupload
            that one?

            (I'd like to eventually go through and redo all the Bloodlines, Class
            variants, etc. and update them but I figure that'll be after I get
            through the Darwin's World stuff....)

            Thomas
          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
              Thomas Clegg wrote:
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:
              >
              >> I works like the Flaws/Merits system. You need to choose some
              >> TYPE:Drawback mutations which will add points to the pool and then
              >>
              > you
              >
              >> can add advantageous mutations.
              >>
              >> --
              >> ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              >> ~ Chair Second, PCGen Board of Directors
              >> ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin
              >>

              > Speaking of Flaws... :)
              >
              > In getting things together for a game, I found a few moments to
              > update the Flaws/Traits from Unearthed Arcana to use the Abilities
              > feature. Should I upload just them to the files section or should I
              > add them back into the zip file they were originally in and reupload
              > that one?
              >
              > (I'd like to eventually go through and redo all the Bloodlines, Class
              > variants, etc. and update them but I figure that'll be after I get
              > through the Darwin's World stuff....)
              >
              > Thomas

              Go ahead and upload your revisions in a new zip, just be sure to date it
              and detail what it contains in the description. Thanks.

              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            • Martijn Verburg
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
                > > Hi Tom/All,
                > >
                > > I'm afraid I know nothing about Modern, how do I get PCGen to allow
                > > me to pick a Mutation?

                > I works like the Flaws/Merits system. You need to choose some
                > TYPE:Drawback mutations which will add points to the pool and then
                > you can add advantageous mutations.

                I'm afraid I can't get this to work to the point I can even attempt to
                reproduce the bug (the pools around mutations are too buggy, we have
                several bug reports around this area). If anyone else is able to
                weave their magic and reproduce this, please let me know how you did it!

              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
                  Martijn Verburg wrote:
                  >>> Hi Tom/All,
                  >>>
                  >>> I'm afraid I know nothing about Modern, how do I get PCGen to allow
                  >>> me to pick a Mutation?

                  >> I works like the Flaws/Merits system. You need to choose some
                  >> TYPE:Drawback mutations which will add points to the pool and then
                  >> you can add advantageous mutations.
                  >>

                  > I'm afraid I can't get this to work to the point I can even attempt to
                  > reproduce the bug (the pools around mutations are too buggy, we have
                  > several bug reports around this area). If anyone else is able to
                  > weave their magic and reproduce this, please let me know how you did it!

                  Hi Kar
                  I loaded up the MSRD and found that Mutations are still working as I
                  designed them. Set the veiw to "Type/Name" and take a look at Drawback,
                  you will find that the cost of these are all negative. When you start
                  with no mutations the pool is 0, once you add some drawbacks the
                  negative cost actually adds to the pool which you can then use to buy
                  minor and major mutations until the pool is 0 again.

                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                • Martijn Verburg
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6, 2008
                    Hi Eddy/Tom,

                    > >> I works like the Flaws/Merits system. You need to choose some
                    > >> TYPE:Drawback mutations which will add points to the pool and
                    > >> then you can add advantageous mutations.
                    > >>

                    > > I'm afraid I can't get this to work to the point I can even
                    > > attempt to reproduce the bug (the pools around mutations are too
                    > > buggy, we have several bug reports around this area). If anyone
                    > > else is able to weave their magic and reproduce this, please let
                    > > me know how you did it!

                    > Hi Kar
                    > I loaded up the MSRD and found that Mutations are still working
                    > as I designed them. Set the veiw to "Type/Name" and take a look at
                    > Drawback, you will find that the cost of these are all negative.
                    > When you start with no mutations the pool is 0, once you add some
                    > drawbacks the negative cost actually adds to the pool which you can
                    > then use to buy minor and major mutations until the pool is 0 again.

                    Ah, right got it now, I was able to run the test! Tom, I'm afraid I
                    was unable to reproduce your problem, do you have a specific series of
                    steps?

                  • Tom Parker
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2008
                      wrote:

                      > Ah, right got it now, I was able to run the test! Tom, I'm afraid I
                      > was unable to reproduce your problem, do you have a specific series of
                      > steps?

                      Load just MSRD basics, then create a new PC.

                      TP.
                    • Martijn Verburg
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 7, 2008
                        Hi Tom,

                        > > Ah, right got it now, I was able to run the test! Tom, I'm afraid I
                        > > was unable to reproduce your problem, do you have a specific series
                        > > of steps?
                        >
                        > Load just MSRD basics, then create a new PC.

                        Tried that and still can't reproduce, sorry :( - K