RE: [pcgen] Re: [TM] Ability Category File

  • Barak
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008

      Are you really sure Eddy?

      In my skill trick setup here (5.12.1) all I've used is the POOL tag to give
      the name (no numbers), and then used BONUS:ABILITYPOOL and referenced the
      ability category name, not even the POOL name. I get the appropriate points
      in the pool and everything seems to work fine.

      So I guess my question, beyond are you sure, is, what the heck is POOL for
      anyway???

      Barak
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
        Barak wrote:
> [...]

        Yes, I'm sure. Pool is optional. If you have a var there it's value is
        added to the pool. BONUS:ABILITYPOOL will add to the pool but not that
        variable. With a VAR in POOL that just means you can also adjust the
        pool with BONUS:VAR as well.

        It's a convenient option, we already had a var in place for the favored
        enemy feature so that just got plugged in via POOL.

        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
          Hi Chris!

          On Feb 29, 2008, at 4:45 PM, Barak wrote:
> [...]
          You are correct. Ability Categories can be defines in either the
          miscinfo file OR in the datasets abilitycategory file.

          Eric
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008

            Ah! Got it. Thanks.

            Barak
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
              Yes, they can can be in both.

              Eric C Smith wrote:
              > Hi Chris!
              >
              > On Feb 29, 2008, at 4:45 PM, Barak wrote:

              ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

            • Terry FitzSimons
              Message 6 of 25 , Mar 1, 2008
                Which is the preferred method? Currently the Docs only have the following:

                "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the ABILITYCATEGORY
                line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation."

                Or what should be DEFINED in the miscinfo.lst file and what should be
                DEFINED in datasets abilitycategory file, or does it really matter that
                much?

                Judging from the ABILITYCATEGORY:x lists some things that are in the
                miscinfo.lst file it seems to deal with the GUI. Should the miscinfo.lst
                file be limited to just the Gamemode data and the dataset abilitycategory
                file build off that?

                Or just use "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                ABILITYCATEGORY line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation.
                Ability Categories can be defines in either the miscinfo.lst file AND/OR in
                the datasets abilitycategory.lst file."

                Terry

                --

                Terry FitzSimons
                FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
              • Eric C Smith
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 1, 2008
                  Hi Terry and Company!

                  On Mar 1, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Terry FitzSimons wrote:
                  > Which is the preferred method? Currently the Docs only have the
                  > following:
                  >
                  > "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                  > ABILITYCATEGORY
                  > line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation."
                  >
                  > Or what should be DEFINED in the miscinfo.lst file and what should be
                  > DEFINED in datasets abilitycategory file, or does it really matter
                  > that
                  > much?
                  >
                  > Judging from the ABILITYCATEGORY:x lists some things that are in the
                  > miscinfo.lst file it seems to deal with the GUI. Should the
                  > miscinfo.lst
                  > file be limited to just the Gamemode data and the dataset
                  > abilitycategory
                  > file build off that?
                  >
                  > Or just use "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                  > ABILITYCATEGORY line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation.
                  > Ability Categories can be defines in either the miscinfo.lst file
                  > AND/OR in
                  > the datasets abilitycategory.lst file."

                  The opening statement in the Ability Category File Tag Docs Page now
                  reads:

                  "Ability Categories can be defined in either the active GameMode's
                  miscinfo.lst file or in a loaded dataset's abilitycategory.lst file,
                  with each ability category being defined in one or the other, but not
                  both. Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                  ABILITYCATEGORY tag documentation in the miscinfo.lst file
                  documentation."

                  Eric Smith
                  Doc 2nd
                • Barak
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 1, 2008

                    This. Note the removal of the AND.

                    It's in one place or the other, it cannot be in both.

                    Barak