Re: [pcgen] Re: [TM] Ability Category File

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
      As one of the ones that set that up...

      DEFINE was placed in STATS IIRC - this was per Barak's instructions for
      those looking to make their own Skill Tricks for homebrews or those that
      owned the actual source. It works just fine last I checked. You have a
      define and a variable in the pool and it works too. Remember the
      my_dataset was setup modeled after the ST dealio. It sounds like the
      my_dataset was being used without ALL the necessary components.
      Remember, the gamemode example isn't located in the correct place,
      otherwise IT WOULD CAUSE PCGEN NOT TO LOAD CORRECTLY. The reasoning for
      gamemode stat file is that it will ALWAYS be loaded. And whomever
      pointed out this was before breaking out the abilitycategories to it's
      own lst file was correct.

      I'm going to head to bed, but if anyone needs me to confirm it's working
      in the 5.13 series, let me know and I'll try and hit it before I head to
      work.

      Martijn Verburg wrote:
      >>> DATA:
      >>> Remove the DEFINE tag from my_gamemode,
      >>> add an ability category data file example
      >>>

      > Trackered -
      > https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1904746&group_id=25576&atid=750091
      >

      >>> DOCS:
      >>> The POOL entry should be clear that the Variable must be valid and
      >>> POOL itself does not define it.
      >>> The entry says POOL determines the starting value, this seems a
      >>> bit misleading to me, the POOL VAR value is added to the pool at
      >>> all times (not just at the start whatever that means) so as the
      >>> VAR changes so does the pool.
      >>>
      >> Trackered: [ 1904735 ] Clarify the ABILITYCATEGORY line POOL tag
      >> docs
      >>
      >> <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
      >> func=detail&aid=1904735&group_id=25576&atid=748234>
      >>
      >>> CODE FREQ
      >>> Might be nice to allow a DEFINE tag on ABILITYCATEGORY lines, not
      >>> a high priority though.
      >>>

      > Trackered Code Freq for 6.0 - [1904748] Allow DEFINE on ABILITYCATEGORY

      ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
        Hi Joe!

        On Feb 29, 2008, at 1:05 PM, joefrazierjr wrote:
        > > Actually ABILITYCATEGORY is still valid in miscinfo.lst, the feature
        > was
        > > expanded to allow the ability categories to be set in the data
        > and then
        > > I moved most of them there.
        >
        > Ok, but at the very least, the Docs should be updated to remove all
        > references to the one in miscinfo.lst to avoid end user confusion and
        > point them to adding it to the correct files and referncing from a
        > .pcc. IMO, we "should" remove them altogether from the gamemode as I
        > can see cases where someone would modify one and begin having
        > problems.

        As long as the capability to do ABILITYCATEGORY lines in the miscinfo
        file is allowed, we will need to maintain that info in the docs. If
        you have suggestions as to how to improve the docs, please let me
        know and I'll attend to it . . .

        One thing I can think of is to add a statement somewhere that an
        ability needs to be defined by an ABILITYCATEGORY line in only one
        file, i.e. the miscinfo.lst file or a loaded dataset
        abilitycategory.lst file, but not both. I'll have to check to see if
        its already there o not . . .

        Eric Smith
        Doc 2nd
      • Barak
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008

          Removed? As in, no longer work there? I don't think that's correct...

          I think they can be in the game mode now *or* in the dataset.

          Barak
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008

            Are you really sure Eddy?

            In my skill trick setup here (5.12.1) all I've used is the POOL tag to give
            the name (no numbers), and then used BONUS:ABILITYPOOL and referenced the
            ability category name, not even the POOL name. I get the appropriate points
            in the pool and everything seems to work fine.

            So I guess my question, beyond are you sure, is, what the heck is POOL for
            anyway???

            Barak
          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
              Barak wrote:
> [...]

              Yes, I'm sure. Pool is optional. If you have a var there it's value is
              added to the pool. BONUS:ABILITYPOOL will add to the pool but not that
              variable. With a VAR in POOL that just means you can also adjust the
              pool with BONUS:VAR as well.

              It's a convenient option, we already had a var in place for the favored
              enemy feature so that just got plugged in via POOL.

              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            • Eric C Smith
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                Hi Chris!

                On Feb 29, 2008, at 4:45 PM, Barak wrote:
> [...]
                You are correct. Ability Categories can be defines in either the
                miscinfo file OR in the datasets abilitycategory file.

                Eric
              • Barak
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008

                  Ah! Got it. Thanks.

                  Barak
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                    Yes, they can can be in both.

                    Eric C Smith wrote:
                    > Hi Chris!

                  • Terry FitzSimons
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 1, 2008
                      Which is the preferred method? Currently the Docs only have the following:

                      "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the ABILITYCATEGORY
                      line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation."

                      Or what should be DEFINED in the miscinfo.lst file and what should be
                      DEFINED in datasets abilitycategory file, or does it really matter that
                      much?

                      Judging from the ABILITYCATEGORY:x lists some things that are in the
                      miscinfo.lst file it seems to deal with the GUI. Should the miscinfo.lst
                      file be limited to just the Gamemode data and the dataset abilitycategory
                      file build off that?

                      Or just use "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                      ABILITYCATEGORY line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation.
                      Ability Categories can be defines in either the miscinfo.lst file AND/OR in
                      the datasets abilitycategory.lst file."

                      Terry

                      --

                      Terry FitzSimons
                      FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                      Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
                    • Eric C Smith
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 1, 2008
                        Hi Terry and Company!

                        On Mar 1, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Terry FitzSimons wrote:
                        > Which is the preferred method? Currently the Docs only have the
                        > following:
                        >
                        > "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                        > ABILITYCATEGORY
                        > line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation."
                        >
                        > Or what should be DEFINED in the miscinfo.lst file and what should be
                        > DEFINED in datasets abilitycategory file, or does it really matter
                        > that
                        > much?
                        >
                        > Judging from the ABILITYCATEGORY:x lists some things that are in the
                        > miscinfo.lst file it seems to deal with the GUI. Should the
                        > miscinfo.lst
                        > file be limited to just the Gamemode data and the dataset
                        > abilitycategory
                        > file build off that?
                        >
                        > Or just use "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                        > ABILITYCATEGORY line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation.
                        > Ability Categories can be defines in either the miscinfo.lst file
                        > AND/OR in
                        > the datasets abilitycategory.lst file."

                        The opening statement in the Ability Category File Tag Docs Page now
                        reads:

                        "Ability Categories can be defined in either the active GameMode's
                        miscinfo.lst file or in a loaded dataset's abilitycategory.lst file,
                        with each ability category being defined in one or the other, but not
                        both. Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                        ABILITYCATEGORY tag documentation in the miscinfo.lst file
                        documentation."

                        Eric Smith
                        Doc 2nd
                      • Barak
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 1, 2008

                          This. Note the removal of the AND.

                          It's in one place or the other, it cannot be in both.

                          Barak