RE: [pcgen] Re: Build environment

  • Samuel Robinson
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 29, 2008
      [.]

      >I'm assuming you haven't joined the project at sourceforge yet? If
      >not drop me a private email and we'll get you officially started :).

      I was going to get familiar with the code base before joining. I have a
      group of players that I had started with 5.12.1, and they were having
      problems using PCGen. Some of them tried other (not to be named) software(s)
      which also are giving them problems, although often different ones. I still
      think PCGen's about the best of the bunch, so I thought that rather than add
      yet another member to the genre I should work on the best of category to
      make it better ( or provide a different front end for my users if a simple
      player's manager is what's really needed). As I've been researching, the
      level of support for PCGen is such that I'm even more convinced that this is
      the most correct course for me to follow.

      >> I'm having a little trouble getting started with the build
      >> environment. I've managed to get the project downloaded via
      >> eclipse/cvs, but am a bit hazy on exactly what stuff is needed and
      >> how to set up the environment.
      >
      >* I assume you meant SVN as opposed to CVS? Our code base now lies in
      >the SVN repository.

      Actually, no I really did mean CVS. As noted upthread since CVS came first
      in the list I assumed (yeah, I know that's a bad idea) that it would be a
      valid place to start.

      >> I've done some java work previously,
      >> but that was with JBuilder and straight JDK. According to the
      >> FAQs, this may or may not be the correct place to ask this
      >> sort of question. If not a quick thump and a redirection would
      >> appropriate.

      >Which FAQ were you looking at out of interest? This certainly isn't a
      >'wrong' place to post initially, but we do have a developers mailing
      >list at:

      >pcgen-devel AT listsDOTsourceforgeDOTnet

      Ah-ha! That's probably the redirect I'm looking for.

      >Which you'll find more useful for this sort of query.

      >Also please look through the documentation and guides on our wiki at:

      >http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/

      >In particular you'll want to follow the link to the Code team which
      >should contain all of the information you need to get up and running
      > (if not please let us know!)

      I had been there, and am still a bit confused, but that may just mean that I
      don't have the correct source. I'll jump in on this later tonight when I get
      home from work. I also noted the IRC channel mentioned upthread, and will
      add it to my list of IRC channels to look in on.

      Thanks for the quick responses from everyone!

      Sam Robinson

    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 29, 2008
        Hi Sam,

        > I was going to get familiar with the code base before joining.

        That's totally fine! Don't mind my overzealous attempt at recruiting,
        it's part of the job description for all BoD members ;)

        > I have a group of players that I had started with 5.12.1, and they
        > were having problems using PCGen. Some of them tried other (not to
        > be named) software(s) which also are giving them problems, although
        > often different ones. I still think PCGen's about the best of the
        > bunch, so I thought that rather than add yet another member to the
        > genre I should work on the best of category to make it better

        That's what we like to hear! All I can state is that we've got
        offically 79 volunteers working on the project and according the the
        Y! numbers several thousand users, so we like to think we're pretty
        active about treying to improve things :)

        > (or provide a different front end for my users if a simple player's
        > manager is what's really needed). As I've been researching, the
        > level of support for PCGen is such that I'm even more convinced
        > that this is the most correct course for me to follow.

        If you're interested in the the new UI effort, don't hesitate to
        contact 'Connor' on the developers mailing list, he's heading up that
        effort.

        > >* I assume you meant SVN as opposed to CVS? Our code base now lies
        > > in the SVN repository.
        >
        > Actually, no I really did mean CVS. As noted upthread since CVS
        > came first in the list I assumed (yeah, I know that's a bad idea)
        > that it would be a valid place to start.

        Nope, not a bad idea, something we need to tidy up on our side, it's
        good you discovered this!

        > >Also please look through the documentation and guides on our wiki
        > >. at:
        > >
        > >http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
        > >
        > >In particular you'll want to follow the link to the Code team which
        > >should contain all of the information you need to get up and
        > >running (if not please let us know!)
        >
        > I had been there, and am still a bit confused, but that may just
        > mean that I don't have the correct source. I'll jump in on this
        > later tonight when I get home from work. I also noted the IRC
        > channel mentioned upthread, and will add it to my list of IRC
        > channels to look in on.

        If the wiki information isn't clear or is missing steps etc then
        please do let us know as we'll need to improve that ASAP. It's been
        awhile since a new developer tried to follow those steps unaided as it
        were :)

        Oh and welcome to the community!

      • Barak
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 29, 2008
          > http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/

          Been meaning to ask this for a long time... can we move this somewhere else
          so Frank and I can get to it? Or at least stash a copy somewhere so I can
          at least look at it even if I can't edit it?

          I'm on satellite (as is Frank, IIRC) and the high-latency is apparently a
          problem for the wiki part of SF as I always time out and can't get to the
          wiki at all.

          Barak
        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2008
            Hi all,

            > > http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
            >
            > Been meaning to ask this for a long time... can we move this somewhere
            > else so Frank and I can get to it? Or at least stash a copy somewhere
            > so I can at least look at it even if I can't edit it?
            >
            > I'm on satellite (as is Frank, IIRC) and the high-latency is
            > apparently a problem for the wiki part of SF as I always time out and
            > can't get to the wiki at all.

            Yeah I'd hoped that the server upgrade to the SF site would improve
            things (the rest of the site is much snappier), but the wiki is still
            no good for satellite users.

            I'm honestly not sure what to do about it at this stage. We have got
            a test media wiki install on our new website testing ground, but I'm a
            bit hesitant to port our entire wiki across to that (as it's not a
            permanent home).

            I dug around the admin options for the wiki and luckily I can export
            it as HTML! So I've uploaded here to the Y! boards and will do so
            anytime someone requests it :).

          • Barak
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2008

              Not optimal for anyone, but at least I can see the roadmap that way.

              Thanks Kar!

              Barak
            • Martijn Verburg
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 5, 2008
                Hi all,

                The link to the CVS repository on the SF site has now been removed.
                The repository still remains behind the scenes, but people won't
                accidentally stumble upon it now :)

                PS: I'd just like to say that it's users pointing out even little
                things like this that help improve the project, so don't be scared to
                shout out!