Re: [TM] Ability Category File

  • joefrazierjr
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
      wrote:

      > > Umm Forget what I just said. I was looking at he wrong place anyway.
      > >
      > > monch9ph, it appears these files have not been implemented since James
      > > refactored out the ABILITYCATEGORY stuff into their own files about 2
      > > months ago. I think the lst file index docs have been updated,
      > > otherwise if not, you would have to wait for a Data Monkey to reply
      > > with how to fix (I have not converted my own stuff yet.)
      >
      > So there's no problem here? I'm a bit confused as to whether there's
      > a bug here or not (sorry saw the [TM] heading) - K

      Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in my_gamemode
      and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since
      the ABILITYCATEGORY tags were removed from the miscinfo.lst file a few
      months ago.

      Just a quick look at the Docs indicates they are still pointing to the
      miscinfo.lst file instead of the new pcc tag to point to the
      ABILITYCATEGORY file. A quick look at the "tutorials" does not seem
      to show this in "Lesson 2: PCC references".

      There was another thread going around about AbilityCategory
      documentation and tut's but I think Tir was waiting until we get
      everything clarified in everyone mind as to how the Category stuff
      actually works since it seems almost everyone is confused (including me.)

      Joe
    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
        And one might say that there is a doc bug as the Rules Implementation
        entry for Abilities by Skill entry is incomplete, but then there is
        already a tracker for that . . . :-)

        Eric Smith
        Doc 2nd

        On Feb 29, 2008, at 9:22 AM, joefrazierjr wrote:

        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > > Umm Forget what I just said. I was looking at he wrong place
        > anyway.
        > > >
        > > > monch9ph, it appears these files have not been implemented
        > since James
        > > > refactored out the ABILITYCATEGORY stuff into their own files
        > about 2
        > > > months ago. I think the lst file index docs have been updated,
        > > > otherwise if not, you would have to wait for a Data Monkey to
        > reply
        > > > with how to fix (I have not converted my own stuff yet.)
        > >
        > > So there's no problem here? I'm a bit confused as to whether there's
        > > a bug here or not (sorry saw the [TM] heading) - K
        > >

        > Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in my_gamemode
        > and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since
        > the ABILITYCATEGORY tags were removed from the miscinfo.lst file a few
        > months ago.
        >
        > Just a quick look at the Docs indicates they are still pointing to the
        > miscinfo.lst file instead of the new pcc tag to point to the
        > ABILITYCATEGORY file. A quick look at the "tutorials" does not seem
        > to show this in "Lesson 2: PCC references".
        >
        > There was another thread going around about AbilityCategory
        > documentation and tut's but I think Tir was waiting until we get
        > everything clarified in everyone mind as to how the Category stuff
        > actually works since it seems almost everyone is confused
        > (including me.)
        >
        > Joe

      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
          joefrazierjr wrote:
          >> I'm a bit confused as to whether there's
          >> a bug here or not (sorry saw the [TM] heading) - K
          >>

          > Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in my_gamemode
          > and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since
          > the ABILITYCATEGORY tags were removed from the miscinfo.lst file a few
          > months ago.

          Actually ABILITYCATEGORY is still valid in miscinfo.lst, the feature was
          expanded to allow the ability categories to be set in the data and then
          I moved most of them there.

          The error here is that there is a DEFINE tag in one of the my_gamemode
          ABILITYCATEGORY lines, those lines are valid but the DEFINE is not.

          ABILITYCATEGORY lines have an optional tag POOL which lets you specify a
          variable which can be bonused to add to the pool, what I don't know is
          if the variable used has to be DEFINEd somewhere else or if using it in
          POOL has the same effect as DEFINE.

          OK, just did a little test and that doesn't work. It appears that POOL
          needs to have a valid variable (DEFINEd elsewhere) to function.

          So we need trackers for:

          DATA:
          Remove the DEFINE tag from my_gamemode,
          add an ability category data file example

          DOCS:
          The POOL entry should be clear that the Variable must be valid and
          POOL itself does not define it.
          The entry says POOL determines the starting value, this seems a bit
          misleading to me, the POOL VAR value is added to the pool at all times
          (not just at the start whatever that means) so as the VAR changes so
          does the pool.

          CODE FREQ
          Might be nice to allow a DEFINE tag on ABILITYCATEGORY lines, not a
          high priority though.

          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        • Eric C Smith
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
            On Feb 29, 2008, at 9:54 AM, Eddy Anthony wrote:
            > joefrazierjr wrote:
            > >> I'm a bit confused as to whether there's
            > >> a bug here or not (sorry saw the [TM] heading) - K
            > >>

            > > Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in
            > my_gamemode
            > > and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since
            > > the ABILITYCATEGORY tags were removed from the miscinfo.lst file
            > a few
            > > months ago.
            > >

            > Actually ABILITYCATEGORY is still valid in miscinfo.lst, the
            > feature was
            > expanded to allow the ability categories to be set in the data and
            > then
            > I moved most of them there.
            >
            > The error here is that there is a DEFINE tag in one of the my_gamemode
            > ABILITYCATEGORY lines, those lines are valid but the DEFINE is not.
            >
            > ABILITYCATEGORY lines have an optional tag POOL which lets you
            > specify a
            > variable which can be bonused to add to the pool, what I don't know is
            > if the variable used has to be DEFINEd somewhere else or if using
            > it in
            > POOL has the same effect as DEFINE.
            >
            > OK, just did a little test and that doesn't work. It appears that POOL
            > needs to have a valid variable (DEFINEd elsewhere) to function.
            >
            > So we need trackers for:
            >
            > DATA:
            > Remove the DEFINE tag from my_gamemode,
            > add an ability category data file example
            >
            > DOCS:
            > The POOL entry should be clear that the Variable must be valid and
            > POOL itself does not define it.
            > The entry says POOL determines the starting value, this seems a bit
            > misleading to me, the POOL VAR value is added to the pool at all times
            > (not just at the start whatever that means) so as the VAR changes so
            > does the pool.

            Trackered: [ 1904735 ] Clarify the ABILITYCATEGORY line POOL tag docs

            <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
            func=detail&aid=1904735&group_id=25576&atid=748234>

            > CODE FREQ
            > Might be nice to allow a DEFINE tag on ABILITYCATEGORY lines, not a
            > high priority though.
            >
            > --
            > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            > ~ Chair Second, PCGen Board of Directors
            > ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin

          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
              > > DATA:
              > > Remove the DEFINE tag from my_gamemode,
              > > add an ability category data file example

              Trackered -
              https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1904746&group_id=25576&atid=750091

              > > DOCS:
              > > The POOL entry should be clear that the Variable must be valid and
              > > POOL itself does not define it.
              > > The entry says POOL determines the starting value, this seems a
              > > bit misleading to me, the POOL VAR value is added to the pool at
              > > all times (not just at the start whatever that means) so as the
              > > VAR changes so does the pool.
              >
              > Trackered: [ 1904735 ] Clarify the ABILITYCATEGORY line POOL tag
              > docs
              >
              > <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
              > func=detail&aid=1904735&group_id=25576&atid=748234>
              > >
              > > CODE FREQ
              > > Might be nice to allow a DEFINE tag on ABILITYCATEGORY lines, not
              > > a high priority though.

              Trackered Code Freq for 6.0 - [1904748] Allow DEFINE on ABILITYCATEGORY

            • joefrazierjr
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008

                > joefrazierjr wrote:
                > >> I'm a bit confused as to whether there's
                > >> a bug here or not (sorry saw the [TM] heading) - K
                > >>

                > > Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in my_gamemode
                > > and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since
                > > the ABILITYCATEGORY tags were removed from the miscinfo.lst file a few
                > > months ago.
                > >

                > Actually ABILITYCATEGORY is still valid in miscinfo.lst, the feature
                was
                > expanded to allow the ability categories to be set in the data and then
                > I moved most of them there.

                Ok, but at the very least, the Docs should be updated to remove all
                references to the one in miscinfo.lst to avoid end user confusion and
                point them to adding it to the correct files and referncing from a
                .pcc. IMO, we "should" remove them altogether from the gamemode as I
                can see cases where someone would modify one and begin having problems.
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                  As one of the ones that set that up...

                  DEFINE was placed in STATS IIRC - this was per Barak's instructions for
                  those looking to make their own Skill Tricks for homebrews or those that
                  owned the actual source. It works just fine last I checked. You have a
                  define and a variable in the pool and it works too. Remember the
                  my_dataset was setup modeled after the ST dealio. It sounds like the
                  my_dataset was being used without ALL the necessary components.
                  Remember, the gamemode example isn't located in the correct place,
                  otherwise IT WOULD CAUSE PCGEN NOT TO LOAD CORRECTLY. The reasoning for
                  gamemode stat file is that it will ALWAYS be loaded. And whomever
                  pointed out this was before breaking out the abilitycategories to it's
                  own lst file was correct.

                  I'm going to head to bed, but if anyone needs me to confirm it's working
                  in the 5.13 series, let me know and I'll try and hit it before I head to
                  work.

                  Martijn Verburg wrote:
                  >>> DATA:
                  >>> Remove the DEFINE tag from my_gamemode,
                  >>> add an ability category data file example
                  >>>

                  > Trackered -
                  > https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1904746&group_id=25576&atid=750091
                  >

                  >>> DOCS:
                  >>> The POOL entry should be clear that the Variable must be valid and
                  >>> POOL itself does not define it.
                  >>> The entry says POOL determines the starting value, this seems a
                  >>> bit misleading to me, the POOL VAR value is added to the pool at
                  >>> all times (not just at the start whatever that means) so as the
                  >>> VAR changes so does the pool.
                  >>>
                  >> Trackered: [ 1904735 ] Clarify the ABILITYCATEGORY line POOL tag
                  >> docs
                  >>
                  >> <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
                  >> func=detail&aid=1904735&group_id=25576&atid=748234>
                  >>
                  >>> CODE FREQ
                  >>> Might be nice to allow a DEFINE tag on ABILITYCATEGORY lines, not
                  >>> a high priority though.
                  >>>

                  > Trackered Code Freq for 6.0 - [1904748] Allow DEFINE on ABILITYCATEGORY

                  ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                  "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

                • Eric C Smith
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                    Hi Joe!

                    On Feb 29, 2008, at 1:05 PM, joefrazierjr wrote:
                    > > Actually ABILITYCATEGORY is still valid in miscinfo.lst, the feature
                    > was
                    > > expanded to allow the ability categories to be set in the data
                    > and then
                    > > I moved most of them there.
                    >
                    > Ok, but at the very least, the Docs should be updated to remove all
                    > references to the one in miscinfo.lst to avoid end user confusion and
                    > point them to adding it to the correct files and referncing from a
                    > .pcc. IMO, we "should" remove them altogether from the gamemode as I
                    > can see cases where someone would modify one and begin having
                    > problems.

                    As long as the capability to do ABILITYCATEGORY lines in the miscinfo
                    file is allowed, we will need to maintain that info in the docs. If
                    you have suggestions as to how to improve the docs, please let me
                    know and I'll attend to it . . .

                    One thing I can think of is to add a statement somewhere that an
                    ability needs to be defined by an ABILITYCATEGORY line in only one
                    file, i.e. the miscinfo.lst file or a loaded dataset
                    abilitycategory.lst file, but not both. I'll have to check to see if
                    its already there o not . . .

                    Eric Smith
                    Doc 2nd
                  • Barak
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008

                      Removed? As in, no longer work there? I don't think that's correct...

                      I think they can be in the game mode now *or* in the dataset.

                      Barak
                    • Barak
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008

                        Are you really sure Eddy?

                        In my skill trick setup here (5.12.1) all I've used is the POOL tag to give
                        the name (no numbers), and then used BONUS:ABILITYPOOL and referenced the
                        ability category name, not even the POOL name. I get the appropriate points
                        in the pool and everything seems to work fine.

                        So I guess my question, beyond are you sure, is, what the heck is POOL for
                        anyway???

                        Barak
                      • Eddy Anthony
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                          Barak wrote:
> [...]

                          Yes, I'm sure. Pool is optional. If you have a var there it's value is
                          added to the pool. BONUS:ABILITYPOOL will add to the pool but not that
                          variable. With a VAR in POOL that just means you can also adjust the
                          pool with BONUS:VAR as well.

                          It's a convenient option, we already had a var in place for the favored
                          enemy feature so that just got plugged in via POOL.

                          --
                          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                        • Eric C Smith
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                            Hi Chris!

                            On Feb 29, 2008, at 4:45 PM, Barak wrote:
> [...]
                            You are correct. Ability Categories can be defines in either the
                            miscinfo file OR in the datasets abilitycategory file.

                            Eric
                          • Barak
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008

                              Ah! Got it. Thanks.

                              Barak
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                                Yes, they can can be in both.

                                Eric C Smith wrote:
                                > Hi Chris!

                              • Terry FitzSimons
                                Message 15 of 25 , Mar 1, 2008
                                  Which is the preferred method? Currently the Docs only have the following:

                                  "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the ABILITYCATEGORY
                                  line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation."

                                  Or what should be DEFINED in the miscinfo.lst file and what should be
                                  DEFINED in datasets abilitycategory file, or does it really matter that
                                  much?

                                  Judging from the ABILITYCATEGORY:x lists some things that are in the
                                  miscinfo.lst file it seems to deal with the GUI. Should the miscinfo.lst
                                  file be limited to just the Gamemode data and the dataset abilitycategory
                                  file build off that?

                                  Or just use "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                                  ABILITYCATEGORY line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation.
                                  Ability Categories can be defines in either the miscinfo.lst file AND/OR in
                                  the datasets abilitycategory.lst file."

                                  Terry

                                  --

                                  Terry FitzSimons
                                  FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                                  Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
                                • Eric C Smith
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Mar 1, 2008
                                    Hi Terry and Company!

                                    On Mar 1, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Terry FitzSimons wrote:
                                    > Which is the preferred method? Currently the Docs only have the
                                    > following:
                                    >
                                    > "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                                    > ABILITYCATEGORY
                                    > line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation."
                                    >
                                    > Or what should be DEFINED in the miscinfo.lst file and what should be
                                    > DEFINED in datasets abilitycategory file, or does it really matter
                                    > that
                                    > much?
                                    >
                                    > Judging from the ABILITYCATEGORY:x lists some things that are in the
                                    > miscinfo.lst file it seems to deal with the GUI. Should the
                                    > miscinfo.lst
                                    > file be limited to just the Gamemode data and the dataset
                                    > abilitycategory
                                    > file build off that?
                                    >
                                    > Or just use "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                                    > ABILITYCATEGORY line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation.
                                    > Ability Categories can be defines in either the miscinfo.lst file
                                    > AND/OR in
                                    > the datasets abilitycategory.lst file."

                                    The opening statement in the Ability Category File Tag Docs Page now
                                    reads:

                                    "Ability Categories can be defined in either the active GameMode's
                                    miscinfo.lst file or in a loaded dataset's abilitycategory.lst file,
                                    with each ability category being defined in one or the other, but not
                                    both. Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                                    ABILITYCATEGORY tag documentation in the miscinfo.lst file
                                    documentation."

                                    Eric Smith
                                    Doc 2nd
                                  • Barak
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Mar 1, 2008

                                      This. Note the removal of the AND.

                                      It's in one place or the other, it cannot be in both.

                                      Barak