Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: [pcgen] Re: [BUG 5.13.10] Ability Category File

Expand Messages
  • Barak
    ... [snip] Those are the abilities... which do nothing without the other half, that being having the Ability Category defined in the miscinfo file or the
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 28, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      > -----Original Message-----
      > > > I was trying to implement the AbilitybySkill (ST) example that are
      > > > in comments in the my_gamemode files and the my_data files.


      > Hmmmm... here is how Andrew Maitland implemented this when he checked
      > it in on the second revision(svn#4585: [ 1754262 ] [Rules
      > Implementation] Adding abilities via Skill points)

      [snip]

      Those are the abilities... which do nothing without the other half, that
      being having the Ability Category defined in the miscinfo file or the
      dataset.

      He's trying to use the miscinfo.lst file in the my_gamemode directory, which
      does have a DEFINE in the ABILITYCATEGORY line since when I gave it to Eric
      I was under the impression that the pool was a VAR and so had to have a
      DEFINE. This was back when the Ability stuff was brand new a few months ago
      (PCGen didn't complain 'bout it back then either that I recall...).

      Apparently that is not the case any more and you can simply drop the DEFINE
      from that line in the miscinfo.lst.

      I'd call it a data bug to be fixed for the next release.

      Barak
    • joefrazierjr
      Umm Forget what I just said. I was looking at he wrong place anyway. monch9ph, it appears these files have not been implemented since James refactored out the
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 28, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        Umm Forget what I just said. I was looking at he wrong place anyway.

        monch9ph, it appears these files have not been implemented since James
        refactored out the ABILITYCATEGORY stuff into their own files about 2
        months ago. I think the lst file index docs have been updated,
        otherwise if not, you would have to wait for a Data Monkey to reply
        with how to fix (I have not converted my own stuff yet.)
      • Martijn Verburg
        ... So there s no problem here? I m a bit confused as to whether there s a bug here or not (sorry saw the [TM] heading) - K
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          > Umm Forget what I just said. I was looking at he wrong place anyway.
          >
          > monch9ph, it appears these files have not been implemented since James
          > refactored out the ABILITYCATEGORY stuff into their own files about 2
          > months ago. I think the lst file index docs have been updated,
          > otherwise if not, you would have to wait for a Data Monkey to reply
          > with how to fix (I have not converted my own stuff yet.)

          So there's no problem here? I'm a bit confused as to whether there's
          a bug here or not (sorry saw the [TM] heading) - K
        • joefrazierjr
          ... Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in my_gamemode and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since the
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@...>
            wrote:
            >
            > > Umm Forget what I just said. I was looking at he wrong place anyway.
            > >
            > > monch9ph, it appears these files have not been implemented since James
            > > refactored out the ABILITYCATEGORY stuff into their own files about 2
            > > months ago. I think the lst file index docs have been updated,
            > > otherwise if not, you would have to wait for a Data Monkey to reply
            > > with how to fix (I have not converted my own stuff yet.)
            >
            > So there's no problem here? I'm a bit confused as to whether there's
            > a bug here or not (sorry saw the [TM] heading) - K
            >

            Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in my_gamemode
            and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since
            the ABILITYCATEGORY tags were removed from the miscinfo.lst file a few
            months ago.

            Just a quick look at the Docs indicates they are still pointing to the
            miscinfo.lst file instead of the new pcc tag to point to the
            ABILITYCATEGORY file. A quick look at the "tutorials" does not seem
            to show this in "Lesson 2: PCC references".

            There was another thread going around about AbilityCategory
            documentation and tut's but I think Tir was waiting until we get
            everything clarified in everyone mind as to how the Category stuff
            actually works since it seems almost everyone is confused (including me.)



            Joe
          • Eric C Smith
            And one might say that there is a doc bug as the Rules Implementation entry for Abilities by Skill entry is incomplete, but then there is already a tracker for
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              And one might say that there is a doc bug as the Rules Implementation
              entry for Abilities by Skill entry is incomplete, but then there is
              already a tracker for that . . . :-)

              Eric Smith
              Doc 2nd

              On Feb 29, 2008, at 9:22 AM, joefrazierjr wrote:

              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Martijn Verburg" <martijnverburg@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > > Umm Forget what I just said. I was looking at he wrong place
              > anyway.
              > > >
              > > > monch9ph, it appears these files have not been implemented
              > since James
              > > > refactored out the ABILITYCATEGORY stuff into their own files
              > about 2
              > > > months ago. I think the lst file index docs have been updated,
              > > > otherwise if not, you would have to wait for a Data Monkey to
              > reply
              > > > with how to fix (I have not converted my own stuff yet.)
              > >
              > > So there's no problem here? I'm a bit confused as to whether there's
              > > a bug here or not (sorry saw the [TM] heading) - K
              > >
              >
              > Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in my_gamemode
              > and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since
              > the ABILITYCATEGORY tags were removed from the miscinfo.lst file a few
              > months ago.
              >
              > Just a quick look at the Docs indicates they are still pointing to the
              > miscinfo.lst file instead of the new pcc tag to point to the
              > ABILITYCATEGORY file. A quick look at the "tutorials" does not seem
              > to show this in "Lesson 2: PCC references".
              >
              > There was another thread going around about AbilityCategory
              > documentation and tut's but I think Tir was waiting until we get
              > everything clarified in everyone mind as to how the Category stuff
              > actually works since it seems almost everyone is confused
              > (including me.)
              >
              > Joe
              >
              >
              >
            • Eddy Anthony
              ... Actually ABILITYCATEGORY is still valid in miscinfo.lst, the feature was expanded to allow the ability categories to be set in the data and then I moved
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                joefrazierjr wrote:
                >> I'm a bit confused as to whether there's
                >> a bug here or not (sorry saw the [TM] heading) - K
                >>
                >>
                >
                > Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in my_gamemode
                > and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since
                > the ABILITYCATEGORY tags were removed from the miscinfo.lst file a few
                > months ago.
                >

                Actually ABILITYCATEGORY is still valid in miscinfo.lst, the feature was
                expanded to allow the ability categories to be set in the data and then
                I moved most of them there.

                The error here is that there is a DEFINE tag in one of the my_gamemode
                ABILITYCATEGORY lines, those lines are valid but the DEFINE is not.

                ABILITYCATEGORY lines have an optional tag POOL which lets you specify a
                variable which can be bonused to add to the pool, what I don't know is
                if the variable used has to be DEFINEd somewhere else or if using it in
                POOL has the same effect as DEFINE.

                OK, just did a little test and that doesn't work. It appears that POOL
                needs to have a valid variable (DEFINEd elsewhere) to function.

                So we need trackers for:

                DATA:
                Remove the DEFINE tag from my_gamemode,
                add an ability category data file example

                DOCS:
                The POOL entry should be clear that the Variable must be valid and
                POOL itself does not define it.
                The entry says POOL determines the starting value, this seems a bit
                misleading to me, the POOL VAR value is added to the pool at all times
                (not just at the start whatever that means) so as the VAR changes so
                does the pool.

                CODE FREQ
                Might be nice to allow a DEFINE tag on ABILITYCATEGORY lines, not a
                high priority though.

                --
                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                ~ Chair Second, PCGen Board of Directors
                ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin
              • Eric C Smith
                ... Trackered: [ 1904735 ] Clarify the ABILITYCATEGORY line POOL tag docs
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Feb 29, 2008, at 9:54 AM, Eddy Anthony wrote:
                  > joefrazierjr wrote:
                  > >> I'm a bit confused as to whether there's
                  > >> a bug here or not (sorry saw the [TM] heading) - K
                  > >>
                  > >>
                  > >
                  > > Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in
                  > my_gamemode
                  > > and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since
                  > > the ABILITYCATEGORY tags were removed from the miscinfo.lst file
                  > a few
                  > > months ago.
                  > >
                  >
                  > Actually ABILITYCATEGORY is still valid in miscinfo.lst, the
                  > feature was
                  > expanded to allow the ability categories to be set in the data and
                  > then
                  > I moved most of them there.
                  >
                  > The error here is that there is a DEFINE tag in one of the my_gamemode
                  > ABILITYCATEGORY lines, those lines are valid but the DEFINE is not.
                  >
                  > ABILITYCATEGORY lines have an optional tag POOL which lets you
                  > specify a
                  > variable which can be bonused to add to the pool, what I don't know is
                  > if the variable used has to be DEFINEd somewhere else or if using
                  > it in
                  > POOL has the same effect as DEFINE.
                  >
                  > OK, just did a little test and that doesn't work. It appears that POOL
                  > needs to have a valid variable (DEFINEd elsewhere) to function.
                  >
                  > So we need trackers for:
                  >
                  > DATA:
                  > Remove the DEFINE tag from my_gamemode,
                  > add an ability category data file example
                  >
                  > DOCS:
                  > The POOL entry should be clear that the Variable must be valid and
                  > POOL itself does not define it.
                  > The entry says POOL determines the starting value, this seems a bit
                  > misleading to me, the POOL VAR value is added to the pool at all times
                  > (not just at the start whatever that means) so as the VAR changes so
                  > does the pool.
                  >

                  Trackered: [ 1904735 ] Clarify the ABILITYCATEGORY line POOL tag docs

                  <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
                  func=detail&aid=1904735&group_id=25576&atid=748234>

                  >
                  >
                  > CODE FREQ
                  > Might be nice to allow a DEFINE tag on ABILITYCATEGORY lines, not a
                  > high priority though.
                  >
                  > --
                  > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                  > ~ Chair Second, PCGen Board of Directors
                  > ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin
                  >
                  >
                  >
                • Martijn Verburg
                  ... Trackered - https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1904746&group_id=25576&atid=750091 ... Trackered Code Freq for 6.0 - [1904748] Allow
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                  • 0 Attachment
                    > > DATA:
                    > > Remove the DEFINE tag from my_gamemode,
                    > > add an ability category data file example

                    Trackered -
                    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1904746&group_id=25576&atid=750091

                    > > DOCS:
                    > > The POOL entry should be clear that the Variable must be valid and
                    > > POOL itself does not define it.
                    > > The entry says POOL determines the starting value, this seems a
                    > > bit misleading to me, the POOL VAR value is added to the pool at
                    > > all times (not just at the start whatever that means) so as the
                    > > VAR changes so does the pool.
                    >
                    > Trackered: [ 1904735 ] Clarify the ABILITYCATEGORY line POOL tag
                    > docs
                    >
                    > <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
                    > func=detail&aid=1904735&group_id=25576&atid=748234>
                    > >
                    > > CODE FREQ
                    > > Might be nice to allow a DEFINE tag on ABILITYCATEGORY lines, not
                    > > a high priority though.

                    Trackered Code Freq for 6.0 - [1904748] Allow DEFINE on ABILITYCATEGORY

                    K
                  • joefrazierjr
                    ... was ... Ok, but at the very least, the Docs should be updated to remove all references to the one in miscinfo.lst to avoid end user confusion and point
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                    • 0 Attachment
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Eddy Anthony <eddyba@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > joefrazierjr wrote:
                      > >> I'm a bit confused as to whether there's
                      > >> a bug here or not (sorry saw the [TM] heading) - K
                      > >>
                      > >>
                      > >
                      > > Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in my_gamemode
                      > > and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since
                      > > the ABILITYCATEGORY tags were removed from the miscinfo.lst file a few
                      > > months ago.
                      > >
                      >
                      > Actually ABILITYCATEGORY is still valid in miscinfo.lst, the feature
                      was
                      > expanded to allow the ability categories to be set in the data and then
                      > I moved most of them there.

                      Ok, but at the very least, the Docs should be updated to remove all
                      references to the one in miscinfo.lst to avoid end user confusion and
                      point them to adding it to the correct files and referncing from a
                      .pcc. IMO, we "should" remove them altogether from the gamemode as I
                      can see cases where someone would modify one and begin having problems.
                    • Andrew Maitland
                      As one of the ones that set that up... DEFINE was placed in STATS IIRC - this was per Barak s instructions for those looking to make their own Skill Tricks for
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                      • 0 Attachment
                        As one of the ones that set that up...

                        DEFINE was placed in STATS IIRC - this was per Barak's instructions for
                        those looking to make their own Skill Tricks for homebrews or those that
                        owned the actual source. It works just fine last I checked. You have a
                        define and a variable in the pool and it works too. Remember the
                        my_dataset was setup modeled after the ST dealio. It sounds like the
                        my_dataset was being used without ALL the necessary components.
                        Remember, the gamemode example isn't located in the correct place,
                        otherwise IT WOULD CAUSE PCGEN NOT TO LOAD CORRECTLY. The reasoning for
                        gamemode stat file is that it will ALWAYS be loaded. And whomever
                        pointed out this was before breaking out the abilitycategories to it's
                        own lst file was correct.

                        I'm going to head to bed, but if anyone needs me to confirm it's working
                        in the 5.13 series, let me know and I'll try and hit it before I head to
                        work.

                        Martijn Verburg wrote:
                        >>> DATA:
                        >>> Remove the DEFINE tag from my_gamemode,
                        >>> add an ability category data file example
                        >>>
                        >
                        > Trackered -
                        > https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1904746&group_id=25576&atid=750091
                        >
                        >
                        >>> DOCS:
                        >>> The POOL entry should be clear that the Variable must be valid and
                        >>> POOL itself does not define it.
                        >>> The entry says POOL determines the starting value, this seems a
                        >>> bit misleading to me, the POOL VAR value is added to the pool at
                        >>> all times (not just at the start whatever that means) so as the
                        >>> VAR changes so does the pool.
                        >>>
                        >> Trackered: [ 1904735 ] Clarify the ABILITYCATEGORY line POOL tag
                        >> docs
                        >>
                        >> <https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?
                        >> func=detail&aid=1904735&group_id=25576&atid=748234>
                        >>
                        >>> CODE FREQ
                        >>> Might be nice to allow a DEFINE tag on ABILITYCATEGORY lines, not
                        >>> a high priority though.
                        >>>
                        >
                        > Trackered Code Freq for 6.0 - [1904748] Allow DEFINE on ABILITYCATEGORY
                        >
                        > K
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        > PCGen's Release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
                        > PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                        > PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                        > PCGen's Alpha Build: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
                        > PCGen's Online Docs: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/
                        > PCGen's Data Help Grp: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp/
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >
                        >

                        --
                        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                        ~ Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                        ~ Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
                        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"



                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      • Eric C Smith
                        Hi Joe! ... As long as the capability to do ABILITYCATEGORY lines in the miscinfo file is allowed, we will need to maintain that info in the docs. If you have
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Hi Joe!

                          On Feb 29, 2008, at 1:05 PM, joefrazierjr wrote:
                          > > Actually ABILITYCATEGORY is still valid in miscinfo.lst, the feature
                          > was
                          > > expanded to allow the ability categories to be set in the data
                          > and then
                          > > I moved most of them there.
                          >
                          > Ok, but at the very least, the Docs should be updated to remove all
                          > references to the one in miscinfo.lst to avoid end user confusion and
                          > point them to adding it to the correct files and referncing from a
                          > .pcc. IMO, we "should" remove them altogether from the gamemode as I
                          > can see cases where someone would modify one and begin having
                          > problems.
                          >
                          As long as the capability to do ABILITYCATEGORY lines in the miscinfo
                          file is allowed, we will need to maintain that info in the docs. If
                          you have suggestions as to how to improve the docs, please let me
                          know and I'll attend to it . . .

                          One thing I can think of is to add a statement somewhere that an
                          ability needs to be defined by an ABILITYCATEGORY line in only one
                          file, i.e. the miscinfo.lst file or a loaded dataset
                          abilitycategory.lst file, but not both. I'll have to check to see if
                          its already there o not . . .

                          Eric Smith
                          Doc 2nd
                        • Barak
                          ... Removed? As in, no longer work there? I don t think that s correct... I think they can be in the game mode now *or* in the dataset. Barak
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                          • 0 Attachment
                            > -----Original Message-----
                            > Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in my_gamemode
                            > and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since
                            > the ABILITYCATEGORY tags were removed from the miscinfo.lst file a few
                            > months ago.

                            Removed? As in, no longer work there? I don't think that's correct...

                            I think they can be in the game mode now *or* in the dataset.

                            Barak
                          • Barak
                            ... Are you really sure Eddy? In my skill trick setup here (5.12.1) all I ve used is the POOL tag to give the name (no numbers), and then used
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                            • 0 Attachment
                              > -----Original Message-----
                              > OK, just did a little test and that doesn't work. It appears that POOL
                              > needs to have a valid variable (DEFINEd elsewhere) to function.

                              Are you really sure Eddy?

                              In my skill trick setup here (5.12.1) all I've used is the POOL tag to give
                              the name (no numbers), and then used BONUS:ABILITYPOOL and referenced the
                              ability category name, not even the POOL name. I get the appropriate points
                              in the pool and everything seems to work fine.

                              So I guess my question, beyond are you sure, is, what the heck is POOL for
                              anyway???

                              Barak
                            • Eddy Anthony
                              ... Yes, I m sure. Pool is optional. If you have a var there it s value is added to the pool. BONUS:ABILITYPOOL will add to the pool but not that variable.
                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Barak wrote:
                                >> -----Original Message-----
                                >> OK, just did a little test and that doesn't work. It appears that POOL
                                >> needs to have a valid variable (DEFINEd elsewhere) to function.
                                >>
                                >
                                > Are you really sure Eddy?
                                >
                                > In my skill trick setup here (5.12.1) all I've used is the POOL tag to give
                                > the name (no numbers), and then used BONUS:ABILITYPOOL and referenced the
                                > ability category name, not even the POOL name. I get the appropriate points
                                > in the pool and everything seems to work fine.
                                >
                                > So I guess my question, beyond are you sure, is, what the heck is POOL for
                                > anyway???
                                >
                                > Barak
                                >

                                Yes, I'm sure. Pool is optional. If you have a var there it's value is
                                added to the pool. BONUS:ABILITYPOOL will add to the pool but not that
                                variable. With a VAR in POOL that just means you can also adjust the
                                pool with BONUS:VAR as well.

                                It's a convenient option, we already had a var in place for the favored
                                enemy feature so that just got plugged in via POOL.

                                --
                                ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                ~ Chair Second, PCGen Board of Directors
                                ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin
                              • Eric C Smith
                                Hi Chris! ... You are correct. Ability Categories can be defines in either the miscinfo file OR in the datasets abilitycategory file. Eric
                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  Hi Chris!

                                  On Feb 29, 2008, at 4:45 PM, Barak wrote:
                                  > > -----Original Message-----
                                  > > Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in
                                  > my_gamemode
                                  > > and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since
                                  > > the ABILITYCATEGORY tags were removed from the miscinfo.lst file
                                  > a few
                                  > > months ago.
                                  >
                                  > Removed? As in, no longer work there? I don't think that's correct...
                                  >
                                  > I think they can be in the game mode now *or* in the dataset.
                                  >
                                  You are correct. Ability Categories can be defines in either the
                                  miscinfo file OR in the datasets abilitycategory file.

                                  Eric
                                • Barak
                                  ... Ah! Got it. Thanks. Barak
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                                  • 0 Attachment
                                    > -----Original Message-----
                                    > Yes, I'm sure. Pool is optional. If you have a var there it's value is
                                    > added to the pool. BONUS:ABILITYPOOL will add to the pool but not that
                                    > variable. With a VAR in POOL that just means you can also adjust the
                                    > pool with BONUS:VAR as well.

                                    Ah! Got it. Thanks.

                                    Barak
                                  • Andrew Maitland
                                    Yes, they can can be in both. ... -- ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing) ~ Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors ~ Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 29, 2008
                                    • 0 Attachment
                                      Yes, they can can be in both.

                                      Eric C Smith wrote:
                                      > Hi Chris!
                                      >
                                      > On Feb 29, 2008, at 4:45 PM, Barak wrote:
                                      >
                                      >>> -----Original Message-----
                                      >>> Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in
                                      >>>
                                      >> my_gamemode
                                      >>
                                      >>> and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since
                                      >>> the ABILITYCATEGORY tags were removed from the miscinfo.lst file
                                      >>>
                                      >> a few
                                      >>
                                      >>> months ago.
                                      >>>
                                      >> Removed? As in, no longer work there? I don't think that's correct...
                                      >>
                                      >> I think they can be in the game mode now *or* in the dataset.
                                      >>
                                      >>
                                      > You are correct. Ability Categories can be defines in either the
                                      > miscinfo file OR in the datasets abilitycategory file.
                                      >
                                      > Eric
                                      >
                                      >
                                      >
                                      > PCGen's Release site: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net
                                      > PCGen's Wiki: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                                      > PCGen's Roadmap: http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/Roadmap
                                      > PCGen's Alpha Build: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
                                      > PCGen's Online Docs: http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/autobuilds/pcgen-docs/
                                      > PCGen's Data Help Grp: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp/
                                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      >
                                      >
                                      >
                                      >
                                      >

                                      --
                                      ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                                      ~ Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                                      ~ Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur
                                      "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"



                                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                    • Terry FitzSimons
                                      Which is the preferred method? Currently the Docs only have the following: Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the ABILITYCATEGORY line
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Mar 1, 2008
                                      • 0 Attachment
                                        Which is the preferred method? Currently the Docs only have the following:

                                        "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the ABILITYCATEGORY
                                        line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation."

                                        Or what should be DEFINED in the miscinfo.lst file and what should be
                                        DEFINED in datasets abilitycategory file, or does it really matter that
                                        much?

                                        Judging from the ABILITYCATEGORY:x lists some things that are in the
                                        miscinfo.lst file it seems to deal with the GUI. Should the miscinfo.lst
                                        file be limited to just the Gamemode data and the dataset abilitycategory
                                        file build off that?

                                        Or just use "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                                        ABILITYCATEGORY line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation.
                                        Ability Categories can be defines in either the miscinfo.lst file AND/OR in
                                        the datasets abilitycategory.lst file."

                                        Terry

                                        On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 17:31:48 -0500, Eric C Smith <maredudd@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        >Hi Chris!
                                        >
                                        >On Feb 29, 2008, at 4:45 PM, Barak wrote:
                                        >> > -----Original Message-----
                                        >> > Data bug (if one does not already exist). The examples in
                                        >> my_gamemode
                                        >> > and my_dataset need to be updated to utilize the new structure since
                                        >> > the ABILITYCATEGORY tags were removed from the miscinfo.lst file
                                        >> a few
                                        >> > months ago.
                                        >>
                                        >> Removed? As in, no longer work there? I don't think that's correct...
                                        >>
                                        >> I think they can be in the game mode now *or* in the dataset.
                                        >>
                                        >You are correct. Ability Categories can be defines in either the
                                        >miscinfo file OR in the datasets abilitycategory file.
                                        >
                                        >Eric
                                        --

                                        Terry FitzSimons
                                        FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                                        Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
                                      • Eric C Smith
                                        Hi Terry and Company! ... The opening statement in the Ability Category File Tag Docs Page now reads: Ability Categories can be defined in either the active
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Mar 1, 2008
                                        • 0 Attachment
                                          Hi Terry and Company!

                                          On Mar 1, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Terry FitzSimons wrote:
                                          > Which is the preferred method? Currently the Docs only have the
                                          > following:
                                          >
                                          > "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                                          > ABILITYCATEGORY
                                          > line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation."
                                          >
                                          > Or what should be DEFINED in the miscinfo.lst file and what should be
                                          > DEFINED in datasets abilitycategory file, or does it really matter
                                          > that
                                          > much?
                                          >
                                          > Judging from the ABILITYCATEGORY:x lists some things that are in the
                                          > miscinfo.lst file it seems to deal with the GUI. Should the
                                          > miscinfo.lst
                                          > file be limited to just the Gamemode data and the dataset
                                          > abilitycategory
                                          > file build off that?
                                          >
                                          > Or just use "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                                          > ABILITYCATEGORY line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation.
                                          > Ability Categories can be defines in either the miscinfo.lst file
                                          > AND/OR in
                                          > the datasets abilitycategory.lst file."
                                          >

                                          The opening statement in the Ability Category File Tag Docs Page now
                                          reads:

                                          "Ability Categories can be defined in either the active GameMode's
                                          miscinfo.lst file or in a loaded dataset's abilitycategory.lst file,
                                          with each ability category being defined in one or the other, but not
                                          both. Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                                          ABILITYCATEGORY tag documentation in the miscinfo.lst file
                                          documentation."

                                          Eric Smith
                                          Doc 2nd
                                        • Barak
                                          ... This. Note the removal of the AND. It s in one place or the other, it cannot be in both. Barak
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Mar 1, 2008
                                          • 0 Attachment
                                            > -----Original Message-----
                                            > Or just use "Ability categories are defined, one per line, as per the
                                            > ABILITYCATEGORY line described in the miscinfo.lst file documentation.
                                            > Ability Categories can be defines in either the miscinfo.lst file
                                            > OR in the datasets abilitycategory.lst file."

                                            This. Note the removal of the AND.

                                            It's in one place or the other, it cannot be in both.

                                            Barak
                                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.