PCGen 5.12.1 & Fedora 8 - no source material available?

  • timo_kettunen
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 27, 2008
      Hello!

      Can you o'wizards help me? I have been using PCGen for Windows for a
      few months. Now I switched (totally) to Linux, Fedora 8 namely. So I
      downloaded the full package from sourceforge.

      After unpacking pcgen to a new directory and giving chmod +x to the
      shell script, PCGen loads nicely (no errors at all!).

      But alas! No source material available. I've checked the Preferences /
      Locations and everything is like it should be:

      PCGen Data directory: /home/timkett/Documents/RPG/pcgen5121/data
      and so forth.

      Autoload is selected.

      Pls help! Game should be on Sunday and all my data lies now in the
      abyssal depths of PCGen...
    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
        Hi Tim,

        I'd start by making sure you are running pcgen from the directory that
        the pcgen.sh is in. I'd then run PCGen from the console and see if there
        is any error output. If you can pass that on to us we may be able to assist.

        James Dempsey
        PCGen Code SB

        On 28/02/2008 6:49 PM timo_kettunen wrote
        > Hello!
        >
        > Can you o'wizards help me? I have been using PCGen for Windows for a
        > few months. Now I switched (totally) to Linux, Fedora 8 namely. So I
        > downloaded the full package from sourceforge.
        >
        > After unpacking pcgen to a new directory and giving chmod +x to the
        > shell script, PCGen loads nicely (no errors at all!).
        >
        > But alas! No source material available. I've checked the Preferences /
        > Locations and everything is like it should be:
        >
        > PCGen Data directory: /home/timkett/Documents/RPG/pcgen5121/data
        > and so forth.
        >
        > Autoload is selected.
        >
        > Pls help! Game should be on Sunday and all my data lies now in the
        > abyssal depths of PCGen...

      • timo_kettunen
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
          Hello,

          thanks for rapid answer.

          Yes, I'm running it from the directory. No links, straight run... Same
          effect no matter if it's run from the console or graphically from
          filemanager. No errormessages either.

          I even tried to 'sudo' the .sh but no luck either... Source material
          is just not available for loading:

          [timkett@localhost ~]$ cd Documents/RPG/pcgen5121/
          [timkett@localhost pcgen5121]$ ls
          characters filter.ini pcgen.bat pcgen.sh
          data lib pcgen.jar plugins
          docs options.ini pcgen_low_mem.bat system
          filepaths.ini outputsheets pcgen-release-notes-5121.html
          [timkett@localhost pcgen5121]$ ./pcgen.sh

          I'm desperate! I even tried 5.12.0 and same result. My best guess is
          that this is somehow related to paths and stuff but I'm lacking the
          skills to go deeper.

          Java is icedtea-1.7.0 from Sun.

          Is there a way to create traces or logfile?

          Timo

          > Hi Tim,
          >
          > I'd start by making sure you are running pcgen from the directory that
          > the pcgen.sh is in. I'd then run PCGen from the console and see if
          there
          > is any error output. If you can pass that on to us we may be able to
          assist.

        • ovka
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
            What game mode do you have selected?

            Cheers,

            Sir George Anonymous

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "timo_kettunen" <timo_kettunen@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > thanks for rapid answer.
            >
            > Yes, I'm running it from the directory. No links, straight run...
            Same
            > effect no matter if it's run from the console or graphically from
            > filemanager. No errormessages either.
            >
            > I even tried to 'sudo' the .sh but no luck either... Source material
            > is just not available for loading:
            >
            > [timkett@localhost ~]$ cd Documents/RPG/pcgen5121/
            > [timkett@localhost pcgen5121]$ ls
            > characters filter.ini pcgen.bat pcgen.sh
            > data lib pcgen.jar plugins
            > docs options.ini pcgen_low_mem.bat system
            > filepaths.ini outputsheets pcgen-release-notes-5121.html
            > [timkett@localhost pcgen5121]$ ./pcgen.sh
            >
            > I'm desperate! I even tried 5.12.0 and same result. My best guess is
            > that this is somehow related to paths and stuff but I'm lacking the
            > skills to go deeper.
            >
            > Java is icedtea-1.7.0 from Sun.
            >
            > Is there a way to create traces or logfile?
            >
            > Timo
            >

            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, James Dempsey <jdempsey@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Tim,
            > >
            > > I'd start by making sure you are running pcgen from the directory
            that
            > > the pcgen.sh is in. I'd then run PCGen from the console and see if
            > there
            > > is any error output. If you can pass that on to us we may be able
            > assist.

          • Timo Kettunen
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
              I've selected 3.5e in Settings - Game Mode/Campaign

              Funny. When clicking everything available in deep frustration I
              checked the button "Customise" in the Sources Screen... The display
              showed that everything is in "Include None" status.

              I tried to switch them on, wrote a .pcc file but no luck. No source
              material available at all. And next time I started PCGen, everything
              was agin in "Include None"... Any relevance?

              Timo

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...> wrote:

              > What game mode do you have selected?
              >
              > Cheers,
              >
              > Sir George Anonymous

            • Timo Kettunen
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
                A dump from debug console if this is of any help...

                -- listing properties --
                java.runtime.name=IcedTea Runtime Environment
                sun.boot.library.path=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0...
                java.vm.version=1.7.0-b21
                java.vm.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                java.vendor.url=http://java.sun.com/
                path.separator=:
                java.vm.name=IcedTea 64-Bit Server VM
                file.encoding.pkg=sun.io
                user.country=US
                sun.java.launcher=SUN_STANDARD
                sun.os.patch.level=unknown
                java.vm.specification.name=Java Virtual Machine Specification
                user.dir=/home/timkett/Documents/RPG/pcgen5121
                java.runtime.version=1.7.0-b21
                java.awt.graphicsenv=sun.awt.X11GraphicsEnvironment
                java.endorsed.dirs=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0...
                os.arch=amd64
                javax.accessibility.assistive_technologies=org.GNOME.Accessibility.JavaBridge
                java.io.tmpdir=/tmp
                line.separator=

                java.vm.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                os.name=Linux
                sun.jnu.encoding=UTF-8
                java.library.path=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0...
                javax.net.ssl.trustStore=/etc/pki/tls/certs/ca-bundle.crt
                java.specification.name=Java Platform API Specification
                java.class.version=50.0
                sun.management.compiler=HotSpot 64-Bit Server Compiler
                os.version=2.6.23.15-137.fc8
                user.home=/home/timkett
                user.timezone=Europe/Helsinki
                user.zoneinfo.dir=/usr/share/javazi
                BROWSER=netscape
                java.awt.printerjob=sun.print.PSPrinterJob
                java.specification.version=1.7
                file.encoding=UTF-8
                javax.net.ssl.trustStoreType=CertBundle
                user.name=timkett
                java.class.path=./pcgen.jar
                java.vm.specification.version=1.0
                javax.net.ssl.trustStoreProvider=
                sun.arch.data.model=64
                java.home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0...
                java.specification.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                user.language=en
                java.vm.info=mixed mode
                java.version=1.7.0
                java.ext.dirs=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0...
                sun.boot.class.path=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.7.0-icedtea-1.7.0...
                java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
                file.separator=/
                java.vendor.url.bug=http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport...
                sun.cpu.endian=little
                sun.io.unicode.encoding=UnicodeLittle
                javax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=
                sun.desktop=gnome
                sun.cpu.isalist=
                Memory: 158,400Kb total, 104,935.664Kb free, 233,024Kb max.
              • Timo Kettunen
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
                  And, just for testing I tried other settings as well. No luck there
                  either.

                  Bummer. I'm loosing my marbles soon...

                  Timo

                  --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "ovka" <lpacdavis@...> wrote:

                  > What game mode do you have selected?
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Sir George Anonymous

                • James Dempsey
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
                    Hi Timo,

                    The first thing that springs to mind is that you are the first person I
                    know who has tried to run PCGen under the early access Java 1.7. As that
                    JVM is not yet a production release I would start by trying the program
                    out in a production Java 1.6 VM.

                    Second, the simplest way to generate a log file is to run a command such as
                    pcgen.sh > pcgen.log

                    This will then create a pcgen.log file in your current directory. Please
                    try this out and send the output to the list or to me.

                    Cheers,
                    James.

                    On 29/02/2008 4:59 AM Timo Kettunen wrote

                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
                      Holy motherload...

                      Uninstalling 1.7.0 and the installing JRE 1.6.4 wasn't the easiest
                      (and I guess it's not clean either...) BUT

                      ...IT WORKS! Yes, PCGen now works without errors...

                      Thanks guys. Plenty of grey hair but I'll be able to manage my game
                      now... Thanks!

                      Timo

                      > Hi Timo,
                      >
                      > The first thing that springs to mind is that you are the first person I
                      > know who has tried to run PCGen under the early access Java 1.7. As
                      that
                      > JVM is not yet a production release I would start by trying the program
                      > out in a production Java 1.6 VM.
                    • Martijn Verburg
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 29, 2008
                        Great to hear! It'll be interesting when 1.7.0 is released officially
                        to see if PCGen works out of the box... - K