Custom Feat Rules

  • wiwd_jce
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
      I'm attempting to implement all the house rules my GM uses, and have
      run into one that I don't know if PCGen can handle.

      The campaign is 3.5e Dnd.

      At levels 2,4,7,10,13,16,19 PC's in his campaign get to choose a bonus
      feat from a list of the skill bonus feats that no one in their right
      mind ever takes over something more useful.

      All pc's get this, no matter their race/class.

      I'm not sure how to implement this in pcgen short of making a custom
      data set and adding the bonus feats to each class.

      Is there another way?

      Thanks,

      Josh
    • taluroniscandar
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2008
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "wiwd_jce" <jegstad@...> wrote:

        > I'm attempting to implement all the house rules my GM uses, and have
        > run into one that I don't know if PCGen can handle.
        >
        > The campaign is 3.5e Dnd.
        >
        > At levels 2,4,7,10,13,16,19 PC's in his campaign get to choose a bonus
        > feat from a list of the skill bonus feats that no one in their right
        > mind ever takes over something more useful.
        >
        > All pc's get this, no matter their race/class.
        >
        > I'm not sure how to implement this in pcgen short of making a custom
        > data set and adding the bonus feats to each class.
        >
        > Is there another way?

        Quite easy actually.

        The things you need to know are:
        pcgen templates can be level driven and are independent of class and race.

        Extra Feat Houserule
        REPEATLEVEL:2|2|20:1:FEAT(ABonusFeat)

        The syntax for REPEARLEVEL changed recently (and the 5.13.9 docs are
        mucked up) so check the docs for your version of pcgen for syntax.

        Then just go the the Template tab (on the Race tab) and take the template.
      • wiwd_jce
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2008
          Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I was not able to get it
          working with repeatlevel after far too much time trying (the
          documentation for it is rather obtuse), but I was able to do the same
          thing by using LEVEL: tags. All is working now :)

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "taluroniscandar" <mhgj@...> wrote:

          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "wiwd_jce" <jegstad@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm attempting to implement all the house rules my GM uses, and have
          > > run into one that I don't know if PCGen can handle.
          > >
          > > The campaign is 3.5e Dnd.
          > >
          > > At levels 2,4,7,10,13,16,19 PC's in his campaign get to choose a bonus
          > > feat from a list of the skill bonus feats that no one in their right
          > > mind ever takes over something more useful.
          > >
          > > All pc's get this, no matter their race/class.
          > >
          > > I'm not sure how to implement this in pcgen short of making a custom
          > > data set and adding the bonus feats to each class.
          > >
          > > Is there another way?
          >
          > Quite easy actually.
          >
          > The things you need to know are:
          > pcgen templates can be level driven and are independent of class and
          race.

          > Extra Feat Houserule
          > REPEATLEVEL:2|2|20:1:FEAT(ABonusFeat)
          >
          > The syntax for REPEARLEVEL changed recently (and the 5.13.9 docs are
          > mucked up) so check the docs for your version of pcgen for syntax.
          >
          > Then just go the the Template tab (on the Race tab) and take the
          template.

        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2008
            Not just obtuse - it is contradictory and therefore, at least at some
            point, wrong.

            Two or three different write-ups are stated to have the same effect
            (going to maxlevel of character).

            I know that the REPEATLEVEL tag (both in template and class lst
            files) were changed recently but the docs don't have the old and new
            format, just a writeup for the new, which doesn't look to be correct.

            Three of the examples say they go up to the MAXLEVEL of class. But
            none of the examples have MAXLEVEL in them, the last one appearing to
            only happen once at level 1.

            > Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately I was not able to get it
            > working with repeatlevel after far too much time trying (the
            > documentation for it is rather obtuse), but I was able to do the
            same
            > thing by using LEVEL: tags. All is working now :)
            >

            > > I'm attempting to implement all the house rules my GM uses, and
            have
            > > > run into one that I don't know if PCGen can handle.
            > > >
            > > > The campaign is 3.5e Dnd.
            > > >
            > > > At levels 2,4,7,10,13,16,19 PC's in his campaign get to choose
            a bonus
            > > > feat from a list of the skill bonus feats that no one in their
            right
            > > > mind ever takes over something more useful.
            > > >
            > > > All pc's get this, no matter their race/class.
            > > >
            > > > I'm not sure how to implement this in pcgen short of making a
            custom
            > > > data set and adding the bonus feats to each class.
            > > >
            > > > Is there another way?
            > >
            > > Quite easy actually.
            > >
            > > The things you need to know are:
            > > pcgen templates can be level driven and are independent of class
            and
            > race.
            > >
            > > Extra Feat Houserule
            > > REPEATLEVEL:2|2|20:1:FEAT(ABonusFeat)
            > >
            > > The syntax for REPEARLEVEL changed recently (and the 5.13.9 docs
            are
            > > mucked up) so check the docs for your version of pcgen for syntax.
            > >
            > > Then just go the the Template tab (on the Race tab) and take the
            > template.

          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 25, 2008
              Trackered as doc bug - 1901259 Clarify REPEATLEVEL with MAXLEVEL