Re: Working on a Custom Equipment bug, need input.

  • taluroniscandar
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
      wrote:

      > > > OK, what I'm going to do is investigate Tom's suggestion of
      simply
      > > > not loading the custom equipment if it's not supported by the
      > > > loaded data sets. I'll post any findings in the tracker - K
      > >
      > > Hmm, isn't that just going to result in delting all those items
      when
      > > we rewrite the file and don't write them out?
      >
      > Yeah, that's my thought as well, I'm investigating if that will be the
      > case. We might be alright due to the order of how things are loaded
      > can tell). I'm hoping to prove it either way today, if it does
      > 'delete' the item then we'll have to think of something new. - K

      Check the pcg file first. You may find that the custom eq is saved
      there also.
      If not, then open the appropriate character (with proper sources
      loaded), turn off custom eq file in pref and resave the char.

      That should put the equipment in the char (pcg) file.
    • Andrew Wilson
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
        On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 12:45:59PM -0000, Martijn Verburg wrote:
        > > > OK, what I'm going to do is investigate Tom's suggestion of simply
        > > > not loading the custom equipment if it's not supported by the
        > > > loaded data sets. I'll post any findings in the tracker - K
        > >
        > > Hmm, isn't that just going to result in delting all those items when
        > > we rewrite the file and don't write them out?
        >
        > Yeah, that's my thought as well, I'm investigating if that will be the
        > case. We might be alright due to the order of how things are loaded
        > can tell). I'm hoping to prove it either way today, if it does
        > 'delete' the item then we'll have to think of something new. - K

        Deleteing objects that we can't find references for from custom items is
        what's causing the problem. Instead of deleting the objects, we could
        mark the custom items they're attached to as broken and put them in
        different storage from normal items. Then we could have a pane on the
        GUI that lets us see "broken items" with a button beside each to fix it
        (i.e. delete the reference like we currently do) and add it to the
        equipment list. Anything not "fixed" should just be written out again
        "as is" when we rewrite the custom data. That gives the ability to deal
        with changed data, and data that just isn't currently loaded should just
        work when we do load the correct set(s).

        Really flash would be to open the item customiser for it and let us
        replace the broken thing with something else.

        Just my 2d.

        andrew
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
          > Really flash would be to open the item customiser for it and let us
          > replace the broken thing with something else.
          >
          > Just my 2d.
          >
          > andrew

          That would make the item, er, um, odd, yes, odd when you loaded the
          campaign and sources that it was actually created in.

          "Hey, my +1 Kitbash sword is now a +1 vorpal. COOOLLLL!"
        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
            Hi all,

            > > Really flash would be to open the item customiser for it and let us
            > > replace the broken thing with something else.
            > >
            > > Just my 2d.
            > >
            > > andrew
            > >
            > That would make the item, er, um, odd, yes, odd when you loaded the
            > campaign and sources that it was actually created in.
            >
            > "Hey, my +1 Kitbash sword is now a +1 vorpal. COOOLLLL!"

            As this will require much thought and a spec, I've moved this to be a
            6.0 FREQ. Again we can only hope that CDOM makes this easier :) - K