Re: Working on a Custom Equipment bug, need input.

  • Martijn Verburg
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
      > > OK, what I'm going to do is investigate Tom's suggestion of simply
      > > not loading the custom equipment if it's not supported by the
      > > loaded data sets. I'll post any findings in the tracker - K
      >
      > Hmm, isn't that just going to result in delting all those items when
      > we rewrite the file and don't write them out?

      Yeah, that's my thought as well, I'm investigating if that will be the
      case. We might be alright due to the order of how things are loaded
      can tell). I'm hoping to prove it either way today, if it does
      'delete' the item then we'll have to think of something new. - K
    • taluroniscandar
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
        wrote:

        > > > OK, what I'm going to do is investigate Tom's suggestion of
        simply
        > > > not loading the custom equipment if it's not supported by the
        > > > loaded data sets. I'll post any findings in the tracker - K
        > >
        > > Hmm, isn't that just going to result in delting all those items
        when
        > > we rewrite the file and don't write them out?
        >
        > Yeah, that's my thought as well, I'm investigating if that will be the
        > case. We might be alright due to the order of how things are loaded
        > can tell). I'm hoping to prove it either way today, if it does
        > 'delete' the item then we'll have to think of something new. - K

        Check the pcg file first. You may find that the custom eq is saved
        there also.
        If not, then open the appropriate character (with proper sources
        loaded), turn off custom eq file in pref and resave the char.

        That should put the equipment in the char (pcg) file.
      • Andrew Wilson
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
          On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 12:45:59PM -0000, Martijn Verburg wrote:
          > > > OK, what I'm going to do is investigate Tom's suggestion of simply
          > > > not loading the custom equipment if it's not supported by the
          > > > loaded data sets. I'll post any findings in the tracker - K
          > >
          > > Hmm, isn't that just going to result in delting all those items when
          > > we rewrite the file and don't write them out?
          >
          > Yeah, that's my thought as well, I'm investigating if that will be the
          > case. We might be alright due to the order of how things are loaded
          > can tell). I'm hoping to prove it either way today, if it does
          > 'delete' the item then we'll have to think of something new. - K

          Deleteing objects that we can't find references for from custom items is
          what's causing the problem. Instead of deleting the objects, we could
          mark the custom items they're attached to as broken and put them in
          different storage from normal items. Then we could have a pane on the
          GUI that lets us see "broken items" with a button beside each to fix it
          (i.e. delete the reference like we currently do) and add it to the
          equipment list. Anything not "fixed" should just be written out again
          "as is" when we rewrite the custom data. That gives the ability to deal
          with changed data, and data that just isn't currently loaded should just
          work when we do load the correct set(s).

          Really flash would be to open the item customiser for it and let us
          replace the broken thing with something else.

          Just my 2d.

          andrew
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
            > Really flash would be to open the item customiser for it and let us
            > replace the broken thing with something else.
            >
            > Just my 2d.
            >
            > andrew

            That would make the item, er, um, odd, yes, odd when you loaded the
            campaign and sources that it was actually created in.

            "Hey, my +1 Kitbash sword is now a +1 vorpal. COOOLLLL!"
          • Martijn Verburg
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
              Hi all,

              > > Really flash would be to open the item customiser for it and let us
              > > replace the broken thing with something else.
              > >
              > > Just my 2d.
              > >
              > > andrew
              > >
              > That would make the item, er, um, odd, yes, odd when you loaded the
              > campaign and sources that it was actually created in.
              >
              > "Hey, my +1 Kitbash sword is now a +1 vorpal. COOOLLLL!"

              As this will require much thought and a spec, I've moved this to be a
              6.0 FREQ. Again we can only hope that CDOM makes this easier :) - K