Re: Working on a Custom Equipment bug, need input.

  • taluroniscandar
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 11, 2008
      > > There is no identifier in the customequip lst file that say "this
      > > campaign/sources loaded" or "this character".
      >
      > That was kinda my point - such an identifier is necessary to avoid the
      > problem; otherwise we end up hacking more and more workarounds to the
      > issue.

      Mm-hm.

      Why I finally just turned the custom eq file off and store custom
      equipment only in the pcg files now.

      This problem is very old (VERY) and was one of those things set aside
      to fix when the editors were fixed (although I'm not sure it's listed
      at SF or in the docs). The gamemode issue was fixed during one round of
      editor updates but the same-gamemode different-sources problem wasn't.
      Admitted, there were (and still are) far more important issues and this
      has a very simple work around - turn off the custom equipment file.
    • Martijn Verburg
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
        Hi all,

        > > > There is no identifier in the customequip lst file that say
        > > > "this campaign/sources loaded" or "this character".
        > >
        > > That was kinda my point - such an identifier is necessary to
        > > avoid the problem; otherwise we end up hacking more and more
        > > workarounds to the issue.
        >
        > Mm-hm.
        >
        > Why I finally just turned the custom eq file off and store custom
        > equipment only in the pcg files now.
        >
        > This problem is very old (VERY) and was one of those things set
        > aside to fix when the editors were fixed (although I'm not sure
        > it's listed at SF or in the docs). The gamemode issue was fixed
        > during one round of editor updates but the same-gamemode different-
        > sources problem wasn't. Admitted, there were (and still are) far
        > more important issues and this has a very simple work around - turn
        > off the custom equipment file.

        OK, what I'm going to do is investigate Tom's suggestion of simply not
        sets. I'll post any findings in the tracker - K
      • Andrew Wilson
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
          On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 08:39:38AM -0000, Martijn Verburg wrote:
          > Hi all,
          >> Why I finally just turned the custom eq file off and store custom
          >> equipment only in the pcg files now.
          >>
          >> This problem is very old (VERY) and was one of those things set
          >> aside to fix when the editors were fixed (although I'm not sure
          >> it's listed at SF or in the docs). The gamemode issue was fixed
          >> during one round of editor updates but the same-gamemode different-
          >> sources problem wasn't. Admitted, there were (and still are) far
          >> more important issues and this has a very simple work around - turn
          >> off the custom equipment file.
          >
          > OK, what I'm going to do is investigate Tom's suggestion of simply not
          > sets. I'll post any findings in the tracker - K

          Hmm, isn't that just going to result in delting all those items when we
          rewrite the file and don't write them out?

          andrew
        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
            > > OK, what I'm going to do is investigate Tom's suggestion of simply
            > > not loading the custom equipment if it's not supported by the
            > > loaded data sets. I'll post any findings in the tracker - K
            >
            > Hmm, isn't that just going to result in delting all those items when
            > we rewrite the file and don't write them out?

            Yeah, that's my thought as well, I'm investigating if that will be the
            case. We might be alright due to the order of how things are loaded
            can tell). I'm hoping to prove it either way today, if it does
            'delete' the item then we'll have to think of something new. - K
          • taluroniscandar
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
              wrote:

              > > > OK, what I'm going to do is investigate Tom's suggestion of
              simply
              > > > not loading the custom equipment if it's not supported by the
              > > > loaded data sets. I'll post any findings in the tracker - K
              > >
              > > Hmm, isn't that just going to result in delting all those items
              when
              > > we rewrite the file and don't write them out?
              >
              > Yeah, that's my thought as well, I'm investigating if that will be the
              > case. We might be alright due to the order of how things are loaded
              > can tell). I'm hoping to prove it either way today, if it does
              > 'delete' the item then we'll have to think of something new. - K

              Check the pcg file first. You may find that the custom eq is saved
              there also.
              If not, then open the appropriate character (with proper sources
              loaded), turn off custom eq file in pref and resave the char.

              That should put the equipment in the char (pcg) file.
            • Andrew Wilson
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
                On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 12:45:59PM -0000, Martijn Verburg wrote:
                > > > OK, what I'm going to do is investigate Tom's suggestion of simply
                > > > not loading the custom equipment if it's not supported by the
                > > > loaded data sets. I'll post any findings in the tracker - K
                > >
                > > Hmm, isn't that just going to result in delting all those items when
                > > we rewrite the file and don't write them out?
                >
                > Yeah, that's my thought as well, I'm investigating if that will be the
                > case. We might be alright due to the order of how things are loaded
                > can tell). I'm hoping to prove it either way today, if it does
                > 'delete' the item then we'll have to think of something new. - K

                Deleteing objects that we can't find references for from custom items is
                what's causing the problem. Instead of deleting the objects, we could
                mark the custom items they're attached to as broken and put them in
                different storage from normal items. Then we could have a pane on the
                GUI that lets us see "broken items" with a button beside each to fix it
                (i.e. delete the reference like we currently do) and add it to the
                equipment list. Anything not "fixed" should just be written out again
                "as is" when we rewrite the custom data. That gives the ability to deal
                with changed data, and data that just isn't currently loaded should just
                work when we do load the correct set(s).

                Really flash would be to open the item customiser for it and let us
                replace the broken thing with something else.

                Just my 2d.

                andrew
              • taluroniscandar
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
                  > Really flash would be to open the item customiser for it and let us
                  > replace the broken thing with something else.
                  >
                  > Just my 2d.
                  >
                  > andrew

                  That would make the item, er, um, odd, yes, odd when you loaded the
                  campaign and sources that it was actually created in.

                  "Hey, my +1 Kitbash sword is now a +1 vorpal. COOOLLLL!"
                • Martijn Verburg
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 12, 2008
                    Hi all,

                    > > Really flash would be to open the item customiser for it and let us
                    > > replace the broken thing with something else.
                    > >
                    > > Just my 2d.
                    > >
                    > > andrew
                    > >
                    > That would make the item, er, um, odd, yes, odd when you loaded the
                    > campaign and sources that it was actually created in.
                    >
                    > "Hey, my +1 Kitbash sword is now a +1 vorpal. COOOLLLL!"

                    As this will require much thought and a spec, I've moved this to be a
                    6.0 FREQ. Again we can only hope that CDOM makes this easier :) - K