Re: I'M THE "FNG"

  • Eric C. Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
      Hi Jamie!

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Jamieson" <jamiejamieson@...> wrote:

      > Do you need to be a IT wizard or a programer to be able to
      > successfully install a code into PCGen?
      >
      > I appreciate any assistance. I am sure I'm not the only person
      > thinking of this same question.

      You do not have to be an IT person, nor a programer, to
      successfully add stuff to PCGen . . . it might help, but it
      certainly isn't a requirement! All the skills needed to become
      a proficient LST coder can be learned.

      You will find PCGen's Documentation under the Help Menu. If
      you browse through it, paying particular attention to the 'List
      File' section, you will find not only a list of all the 'Tags' that PCGen
      uses to create the various Classes, Feats, Spells, etc., that are used
      in the included data sets, but you will find a collection of LST File
      Classes and a few Rules Implementation examples.

      As I said before, PCGenListFileHelp@Yahoo! is the place to go for
      specific help in solving those tough rules implementation questions.
      It's there that many of the more experienced Data Monkeys hang out
      for that express purpose! Stop on by that list and introduce yourself
      and we'll try to help you get started!

      Eric Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
        Eric C. Smith wrote:
        > Hi Jamie!
        >
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Jamieson" <jamiejamieson@...> wrote:
        >
        >> Do you need to be a IT wizard or a programer to be able to
        >> successfully install a code into PCGen?
        >>
        >> I appreciate any assistance. I am sure I'm not the only person
        >> thinking of this same question.
        >>

        > You do not have to be an IT person, nor a programer, to
        > successfully add stuff to PCGen . . . it might help, but it
        > certainly isn't a requirement! All the skills needed to become
        > a proficient LST coder can be learned.
        >
        > You will find PCGen's Documentation under the Help Menu. If
        > you browse through it, paying particular attention to the 'List
        > File' section, you will find not only a list of all the 'Tags' that PCGen
        > uses to create the various Classes, Feats, Spells, etc., that are used
        > in the included data sets, but you will find a collection of LST File
        > Classes and a few Rules Implementation examples.
        >
        > As I said before, PCGenListFileHelp@Yahoo! is the place to go for
        > specific help in solving those tough rules implementation questions.
        > It's there that many of the more experienced Data Monkeys hang out
        > for that express purpose! Stop on by that list and introduce yourself
        > and we'll try to help you get started!

        And let me say, the learning curve isn't steep at all. Once you have a
        text editor, and the docs opened to the list tag index, making new stuff
        for your game is a breeze.

        I must say in the few years I've been around, the documentation quality
        and usability has improved Fourhundred fold... (I.e. you know where the
        tag will and WILL NOT work...) You should thank a Doc Monkey for that.

        Anyways, pop over on ListFileHelpGroup and myself or other eager monkeys
        will be glad to assist your endeavor of making your favorite books a
        reality.

        --
        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"