Re: I'M THE "FNG"

  • James Jamieson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
      Do you need to be a IT wizard or a programer to be able to
      successfully install a code into PCGen?

      I appreciate any assistance. I am sure I'm not the only person
      thinking of this same question.

      Thanks!

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Thompson" <thompsonjm@...>
      wrote:

      > Unfortunately beyond doing the work yourself there is no way to get
      those
      > programs (as the OGL prevents them from including material that is
      closed
      > content, like all the Complete books). Now on the Help list I
      believe people
      > can assist you in your own coding of very generic terms. Like "How
      do I get
      > a skill to show?" or "How do I add a class, special ability, feat,
      etc.?".
      > As others will undoubtedly say, for all other things...you are on
      your own.

      > On Jan 28, 2008 9:54 AM, James Jamieson <jamiejamieson@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hey group!
      > >
      > > I recently downloaded PCGEN and I think it's the best thing next
      > > sliced bread for D&D (3.5E) I can't think of having a character
      sheet
      > > without PCGen.
      > >
      > > Sadly, it sucks that PCGen can not include the supplement books
      of D&D
      > > (i.e. The Complete, Races, etc books) Does anyone have some work
      > > arounds for this problem? I'm still a novice when it comes to this
      > > program, but if someone has the patience to explain to me how
      they are
      > > able to work around this problem, PLEASE let me know!
      > >
      > > Thanks much!
      > > Jamie
      > >

      > --
      > Jonathan M. Thompson
      > Battlefield Press, Inc
      > thompsonjm@...
      > Just Released: Sherwood: The Legend of Robin Hood by Wil Upchurch (A
      > historical d20 campaign setting) now in PDF and PRINT | In
      Development:
      > Gaslight Victorian Fantasy (OGL/3.5 Fantasy), Fantastic World
      Victorian RPG
      > (TBA) & WyrmSpace (OGL).

    • Eric C. Smith
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
        Hi Jamie!

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Jamieson" <jamiejamieson@...> wrote:

        > Do you need to be a IT wizard or a programer to be able to
        > successfully install a code into PCGen?
        >
        > I appreciate any assistance. I am sure I'm not the only person
        > thinking of this same question.

        You do not have to be an IT person, nor a programer, to
        successfully add stuff to PCGen . . . it might help, but it
        certainly isn't a requirement! All the skills needed to become
        a proficient LST coder can be learned.

        You will find PCGen's Documentation under the Help Menu. If
        you browse through it, paying particular attention to the 'List
        File' section, you will find not only a list of all the 'Tags' that PCGen
        uses to create the various Classes, Feats, Spells, etc., that are used
        in the included data sets, but you will find a collection of LST File
        Classes and a few Rules Implementation examples.

        As I said before, PCGenListFileHelp@Yahoo! is the place to go for
        specific help in solving those tough rules implementation questions.
        It's there that many of the more experienced Data Monkeys hang out
        for that express purpose! Stop on by that list and introduce yourself
        and we'll try to help you get started!

        Eric Smith
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
          Eric C. Smith wrote:
          > Hi Jamie!
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Jamieson" <jamiejamieson@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Do you need to be a IT wizard or a programer to be able to
          >> successfully install a code into PCGen?
          >>
          >> I appreciate any assistance. I am sure I'm not the only person
          >> thinking of this same question.
          >>

          > You do not have to be an IT person, nor a programer, to
          > successfully add stuff to PCGen . . . it might help, but it
          > certainly isn't a requirement! All the skills needed to become
          > a proficient LST coder can be learned.
          >
          > You will find PCGen's Documentation under the Help Menu. If
          > you browse through it, paying particular attention to the 'List
          > File' section, you will find not only a list of all the 'Tags' that PCGen
          > uses to create the various Classes, Feats, Spells, etc., that are used
          > in the included data sets, but you will find a collection of LST File
          > Classes and a few Rules Implementation examples.
          >
          > As I said before, PCGenListFileHelp@Yahoo! is the place to go for
          > specific help in solving those tough rules implementation questions.
          > It's there that many of the more experienced Data Monkeys hang out
          > for that express purpose! Stop on by that list and introduce yourself
          > and we'll try to help you get started!

          And let me say, the learning curve isn't steep at all. Once you have a
          text editor, and the docs opened to the list tag index, making new stuff
          for your game is a breeze.

          I must say in the few years I've been around, the documentation quality
          and usability has improved Fourhundred fold... (I.e. you know where the
          tag will and WILL NOT work...) You should thank a Doc Monkey for that.

          Anyways, pop over on ListFileHelpGroup and myself or other eager monkeys
          will be glad to assist your endeavor of making your favorite books a
          reality.

          --
          ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
          "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"