I'M THE "FNG"

  • James Jamieson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
      Hey group!

      I recently downloaded PCGEN and I think it's the best thing next to
      sliced bread for D&D (3.5E) I can't think of having a character sheet
      without PCGen.

      Sadly, it sucks that PCGen can not include the supplement books of D&D
      (i.e. The Complete, Races, etc books) Does anyone have some work
      arounds for this problem? I'm still a novice when it comes to this
      program, but if someone has the patience to explain to me how they are
      able to work around this problem, PLEASE let me know!

      Thanks much!
      Jamie
    • Jonathan Thompson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
        Unfortunately beyond doing the work yourself there is no way to get those
        programs (as the OGL prevents them from including material that is closed
        content, like all the Complete books). Now on the Help list I believe people
        can assist you in your own coding of very generic terms. Like "How do I get
        a skill to show?" or "How do I add a class, special ability, feat, etc.?".
        As others will undoubtedly say, for all other things...you are on your own.

        --
        Jonathan M. Thompson
        Battlefield Press, Inc

      • James Jamieson
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
          Do you need to be a IT wizard or a programer to be able to
          successfully install a code into PCGen?

          I appreciate any assistance. I am sure I'm not the only person
          thinking of this same question.

          Thanks!

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Thompson" <thompsonjm@...>
          wrote:

          > Unfortunately beyond doing the work yourself there is no way to get
          those
          > programs (as the OGL prevents them from including material that is
          closed
          > content, like all the Complete books). Now on the Help list I
          believe people
          > can assist you in your own coding of very generic terms. Like "How
          do I get
          > a skill to show?" or "How do I add a class, special ability, feat,
          etc.?".
          > As others will undoubtedly say, for all other things...you are on
          your own.

          > On Jan 28, 2008 9:54 AM, James Jamieson <jamiejamieson@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hey group!
          > >
          > > I recently downloaded PCGEN and I think it's the best thing next
          > > sliced bread for D&D (3.5E) I can't think of having a character
          sheet
          > > without PCGen.
          > >
          > > Sadly, it sucks that PCGen can not include the supplement books
          of D&D
          > > (i.e. The Complete, Races, etc books) Does anyone have some work
          > > arounds for this problem? I'm still a novice when it comes to this
          > > program, but if someone has the patience to explain to me how
          they are
          > > able to work around this problem, PLEASE let me know!
          > >
          > > Thanks much!
          > > Jamie
          > >

          > --
          > Jonathan M. Thompson
          > Battlefield Press, Inc
          > thompsonjm@...
          > Just Released: Sherwood: The Legend of Robin Hood by Wil Upchurch (A
          > historical d20 campaign setting) now in PDF and PRINT | In
          Development:
          > Gaslight Victorian Fantasy (OGL/3.5 Fantasy), Fantastic World
          Victorian RPG
          > (TBA) & WyrmSpace (OGL).

        • Eric C. Smith
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
            Hi Jamie and Welcome to PCGen!

            Jamie wrote:

            > Hey group!
            >
            > I recently downloaded PCGEN and I think it's the best thing next to
            > sliced bread for D&D (3.5E) I can't think of having a character sheet
            > without PCGen.
            >
            > Sadly, it sucks that PCGen can not include the supplement books of D&D
            > (i.e. The Complete, Races, etc books) Does anyone have some work
            > arounds for this problem? I'm still a novice when it comes to this
            > program, but if someone has the patience to explain to me how they are
            > able to work around this problem, PLEASE let me know!

            As Jonathan said in a previous post, most of the WotC books are
            Closed Content and PCGen does not have permission to include
            them. That means the only way to get that data into PCGen is for
            each user to enter the data themselves . . .

            To get started on writing your own datasets, you can look through
            PCGen's documentation, the List File Section specifically. A good
            place to start would be "PCC and List Files Explained".

            You can also drop by PCGenListFileHelp@Yahoo! to get more
            targeted assistance in solving specific questions . . .

            Eric Smith
          • Eric C. Smith
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
              Hi Jamie!

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Jamieson" <jamiejamieson@...> wrote:

              > Do you need to be a IT wizard or a programer to be able to
              > successfully install a code into PCGen?
              >
              > I appreciate any assistance. I am sure I'm not the only person
              > thinking of this same question.

              You do not have to be an IT person, nor a programer, to
              successfully add stuff to PCGen . . . it might help, but it
              certainly isn't a requirement! All the skills needed to become
              a proficient LST coder can be learned.

              You will find PCGen's Documentation under the Help Menu. If
              you browse through it, paying particular attention to the 'List
              File' section, you will find not only a list of all the 'Tags' that PCGen
              uses to create the various Classes, Feats, Spells, etc., that are used
              in the included data sets, but you will find a collection of LST File
              Classes and a few Rules Implementation examples.

              As I said before, PCGenListFileHelp@Yahoo! is the place to go for
              specific help in solving those tough rules implementation questions.
              It's there that many of the more experienced Data Monkeys hang out
              for that express purpose! Stop on by that list and introduce yourself
              and we'll try to help you get started!

              Eric Smith
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 28, 2008
                Eric C. Smith wrote:
                > Hi Jamie!
                >
                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Jamieson" <jamiejamieson@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Do you need to be a IT wizard or a programer to be able to
                >> successfully install a code into PCGen?
                >>
                >> I appreciate any assistance. I am sure I'm not the only person
                >> thinking of this same question.
                >>

                > You do not have to be an IT person, nor a programer, to
                > successfully add stuff to PCGen . . . it might help, but it
                > certainly isn't a requirement! All the skills needed to become
                > a proficient LST coder can be learned.
                >
                > You will find PCGen's Documentation under the Help Menu. If
                > you browse through it, paying particular attention to the 'List
                > File' section, you will find not only a list of all the 'Tags' that PCGen
                > uses to create the various Classes, Feats, Spells, etc., that are used
                > in the included data sets, but you will find a collection of LST File
                > Classes and a few Rules Implementation examples.
                >
                > As I said before, PCGenListFileHelp@Yahoo! is the place to go for
                > specific help in solving those tough rules implementation questions.
                > It's there that many of the more experienced Data Monkeys hang out
                > for that express purpose! Stop on by that list and introduce yourself
                > and we'll try to help you get started!

                And let me say, the learning curve isn't steep at all. Once you have a
                text editor, and the docs opened to the list tag index, making new stuff
                for your game is a breeze.

                I must say in the few years I've been around, the documentation quality
                and usability has improved Fourhundred fold... (I.e. you know where the
                tag will and WILL NOT work...) You should thank a Doc Monkey for that.

                Anyways, pop over on ListFileHelpGroup and myself or other eager monkeys
                will be glad to assist your endeavor of making your favorite books a
                reality.

                --
                ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"