Re: [pcgen][CMP] [Barak] Data Set Installation: Mac OSX 10.5

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
      Forgot the flag... It's been a busy day at work.

      --
      ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
        Hi szaijan!

        On Jan 22, 2008, at 6:16 PM, szaijan wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I'm new to the PCGen world, and likely just missing a documentation
        > resource, but nonetheless I haven't been able to find the answer on my
        > own.
        >
        > I've purchased and downloaded the Code Monkey data set for Aracana
        > Evolved. Where do I need to unpack the files to get them to show up
        > as a loadable source in PCGen? My directory for most data is:
        >
        > /Applications/PCGen.../Content/Java/data
        >
        > Any assistance would be appreciated.

        You unzip the package into the Applications/PCGen 5.x.x/Content/Java
        folder.

        All files will be placed into the appropriate location within the
        Java folder.

        Eric Smith
        PR Silverback, Doc 2nd, and Mac User
      • szaijan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
          Thanks Eric, but this isn't working.

          The zip program I have is Stuffit Expander, and it just unpacks a copy
          of "pcgensingle_ogl_arcana_evolved Folder" to the Java folder.
          Nothing gets placed anywhere else. Should I be using a different
          compression utility to make this work?

          Copying the contents of the contained data/system/outputsheets
          directories into the corresponding directories under Java doesn't work
          either. When I go into PCGen, I still do not see any AE or CMP source
          options.

          Any other suggestions?

          > You unzip the package into the Applications/PCGen 5.x.x/Content/Java
          > folder.
          >
          > All files will be placed into the appropriate location within the
          > Java folder.
          >
          > Eric Smith
          > PR Silverback, Doc 2nd, and Mac User
        • Eddy Anthony
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
            szaijan wrote:
            > Thanks Eric, but this isn't working.
            >
            > The zip program I have is Stuffit Expander, and it just unpacks a copy
            > of "pcgensingle_ogl_arcana_evolved Folder" to the Java folder.
            > Nothing gets placed anywhere else. Should I be using a different
            > compression utility to make this work?
            >
            > Copying the contents of the contained data/system/outputsheets
            > directories into the corresponding directories under Java doesn't work
            > either. When I go into PCGen, I still do not see any AE or CMP source
            > options.
            >
            > Any other suggestions?

            Stuffit does not unzip files into a directory structure they way that
            windows does, fotunately you can do this with the Mac's terminal.

            I've included the following instructions with the Mac build in a file
            named "Mac Installer Notes":

            Installing datasets

            Third party datasets such as those made by Code Monkey Publishing are
            packaged in zip files who's directory structure mirrors that of the
            PCGen directory. On a windows system zip files can be unzipped into the
            PCGen directory directly, this can be done on a Mac as well but it's not
            as intuitive a procedure. You will need to use the Terminal application
            used to run Unix line commands on a Mac, you will find it in
            Applications/Utilities.
            Open two Finder windows -- one to where the .zip files of the CMP
            datasets live, and one to the folder above the Java folder in the .app
            distribution. (This should be, if you did a standard installation,
            /Applications/PCGen\ 5.12.1.app/Contents/Resources/)

            Open a Terminal window.

            Type the following at the command; where you see "<drag XXX>", do
            exactly that -- dragging a file or folder to a Terminal window inputs
            the pathname where that file resides:

            Code:
            unzip -d <drag Java folder> <drag .zip file>

            --
            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
          • szaijan
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
              Many thanks, Eric! That got it. The final piece I needed was to know
              that I had to set the game mode to Arcana Evolved to access the new
              data set. I had actually gotten the structure right manually a few
              times, but didn't know to set the game mode and didn't realize the
              data set was available.

              The trick to drag directories from Finder to a terminal window is
              invaluable, too.

              Just as a note, I do not see Mac Installer Notes in either the cdm zip
              file or in the pcgen DMG file, or in the final .app package structure.
              Since I will most likely have further questions, where would I find
              this and similar files?

              > Stuffit does not unzip files into a directory structure they way that
              > windows does, fotunately you can do this with the Mac's terminal.
              >
              > I've included the following instructions with the Mac build in a file
              > named "Mac Installer Notes":
              >
              > Installing datasets
              >
              > Third party datasets such as those made by Code Monkey Publishing are
              > packaged in zip files who's directory structure mirrors that of the
              > PCGen directory. On a windows system zip files can be unzipped into the
              > PCGen directory directly, this can be done on a Mac as well but it's
              not
              > as intuitive a procedure. You will need to use the Terminal application
              > used to run Unix line commands on a Mac, you will find it in
              > Applications/Utilities.
              > Open two Finder windows -- one to where the .zip files of the CMP
              > datasets live, and one to the folder above the Java folder in the .app
              > distribution. (This should be, if you did a standard installation,
              > /Applications/PCGen\ 5.12.1.app/Contents/Resources/)
              >
              > Open a Terminal window.
              >
              > Type the following at the command; where you see "<drag XXX>", do
              > exactly that -- dragging a file or folder to a Terminal window inputs
              > the pathname where that file resides:
              >
              > Code:
              > unzip -d <drag Java folder> <drag .zip file>
              >
              > --
              > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
              > ~ Chair Monkey, PCGen Board of Directors
              > ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin
            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
                There are two text files on the Mac DMG, Release Notes and a Read Me
                file. The text below can be found in the Read me file. Glad you were
                able to get things working :-)

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
                  My apologies Eddie, I didn't realize I had switched benefactors. I
                  found the information you mentioned. Thanks for all your help.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
                    szaijan wrote:
                    > My apologies Eddie, I didn't realize I had switched benefactors. I
                    > found the information you mentioned. Thanks for all your help.

                    No problem, I'm just glad with all the Erics and Andrews I seem to be
                    the only Eddy ;-)

                    --
                    ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)