Re: [pcgen] Data Set Installation: Mac OSX 10.5

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
      CMP's Forums is generally the more appropriate venue to ask for help
      using their sets. I don't exactly know their layout, but generally, you
      place the Data folder in the VENDOR DATA FOLDER location... which is
      different for different people (If you've tweaked the settings, or
      install to a different folder than your settings will be different)

      If it's a system/gamemode then you'll need to place it in your System
      Folder.

      I've Flagged Barak, the CMP Liaison so he can offer guidance.

      szaijan wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I'm new to the PCGen world, and likely just missing a documentation
      > resource, but nonetheless I haven't been able to find the answer on my
      > own.
      >
      > I've purchased and downloaded the Code Monkey data set for Aracana
      > Evolved. Where do I need to unpack the files to get them to show up
      > as a loadable source in PCGen? My directory for most data is:
      >
      > /Applications/PCGen.../Content/Java/data
      >
      > Any assistance would be appreciated.

      ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
        Forgot the flag... It's been a busy day at work.

        --
        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

      • Eric C Smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 22, 2008
          Hi szaijan!

          On Jan 22, 2008, at 6:16 PM, szaijan wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > I'm new to the PCGen world, and likely just missing a documentation
          > resource, but nonetheless I haven't been able to find the answer on my
          > own.
          >
          > I've purchased and downloaded the Code Monkey data set for Aracana
          > Evolved. Where do I need to unpack the files to get them to show up
          > as a loadable source in PCGen? My directory for most data is:
          >
          > /Applications/PCGen.../Content/Java/data
          >
          > Any assistance would be appreciated.

          You unzip the package into the Applications/PCGen 5.x.x/Content/Java
          folder.

          All files will be placed into the appropriate location within the
          Java folder.

          Eric Smith
          PR Silverback, Doc 2nd, and Mac User
        • szaijan
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
            Thanks Eric, but this isn't working.

            The zip program I have is Stuffit Expander, and it just unpacks a copy
            of "pcgensingle_ogl_arcana_evolved Folder" to the Java folder.
            Nothing gets placed anywhere else. Should I be using a different
            compression utility to make this work?

            Copying the contents of the contained data/system/outputsheets
            directories into the corresponding directories under Java doesn't work
            either. When I go into PCGen, I still do not see any AE or CMP source
            options.

            Any other suggestions?

            > You unzip the package into the Applications/PCGen 5.x.x/Content/Java
            > folder.
            >
            > All files will be placed into the appropriate location within the
            > Java folder.
            >
            > Eric Smith
            > PR Silverback, Doc 2nd, and Mac User
          • Eddy Anthony
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
              szaijan wrote:
              > Thanks Eric, but this isn't working.
              >
              > The zip program I have is Stuffit Expander, and it just unpacks a copy
              > of "pcgensingle_ogl_arcana_evolved Folder" to the Java folder.
              > Nothing gets placed anywhere else. Should I be using a different
              > compression utility to make this work?
              >
              > Copying the contents of the contained data/system/outputsheets
              > directories into the corresponding directories under Java doesn't work
              > either. When I go into PCGen, I still do not see any AE or CMP source
              > options.
              >
              > Any other suggestions?

              Stuffit does not unzip files into a directory structure they way that
              windows does, fotunately you can do this with the Mac's terminal.

              I've included the following instructions with the Mac build in a file
              named "Mac Installer Notes":

              Installing datasets

              Third party datasets such as those made by Code Monkey Publishing are
              packaged in zip files who's directory structure mirrors that of the
              PCGen directory. On a windows system zip files can be unzipped into the
              PCGen directory directly, this can be done on a Mac as well but it's not
              as intuitive a procedure. You will need to use the Terminal application
              used to run Unix line commands on a Mac, you will find it in
              Applications/Utilities.
              Open two Finder windows -- one to where the .zip files of the CMP
              datasets live, and one to the folder above the Java folder in the .app
              distribution. (This should be, if you did a standard installation,
              /Applications/PCGen\ 5.12.1.app/Contents/Resources/)

              Open a Terminal window.

              Type the following at the command; where you see "<drag XXX>", do
              exactly that -- dragging a file or folder to a Terminal window inputs
              the pathname where that file resides:

              Code:
              unzip -d <drag Java folder> <drag .zip file>

              --
              ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
            • szaijan
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
                Many thanks, Eric! That got it. The final piece I needed was to know
                that I had to set the game mode to Arcana Evolved to access the new
                data set. I had actually gotten the structure right manually a few
                times, but didn't know to set the game mode and didn't realize the
                data set was available.

                The trick to drag directories from Finder to a terminal window is
                invaluable, too.

                Just as a note, I do not see Mac Installer Notes in either the cdm zip
                file or in the pcgen DMG file, or in the final .app package structure.
                Since I will most likely have further questions, where would I find
                this and similar files?

                > Stuffit does not unzip files into a directory structure they way that
                > windows does, fotunately you can do this with the Mac's terminal.
                >
                > I've included the following instructions with the Mac build in a file
                > named "Mac Installer Notes":
                >
                > Installing datasets
                >
                > Third party datasets such as those made by Code Monkey Publishing are
                > packaged in zip files who's directory structure mirrors that of the
                > PCGen directory. On a windows system zip files can be unzipped into the
                > PCGen directory directly, this can be done on a Mac as well but it's
                not
                > as intuitive a procedure. You will need to use the Terminal application
                > used to run Unix line commands on a Mac, you will find it in
                > Applications/Utilities.
                > Open two Finder windows -- one to where the .zip files of the CMP
                > datasets live, and one to the folder above the Java folder in the .app
                > distribution. (This should be, if you did a standard installation,
                > /Applications/PCGen\ 5.12.1.app/Contents/Resources/)
                >
                > Open a Terminal window.
                >
                > Type the following at the command; where you see "<drag XXX>", do
                > exactly that -- dragging a file or folder to a Terminal window inputs
                > the pathname where that file resides:
                >
                > Code:
                > unzip -d <drag Java folder> <drag .zip file>
                >
                > --
                > ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                > ~ Chair Monkey, PCGen Board of Directors
                > ~ Data Content Second, Doc Chimp, OS Tamarin
              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
                  There are two text files on the Mac DMG, Release Notes and a Read Me
                  file. The text below can be found in the Read me file. Glad you were
                  able to get things working :-)

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
                    My apologies Eddie, I didn't realize I had switched benefactors. I
                    found the information you mentioned. Thanks for all your help.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 23, 2008
                      szaijan wrote:
                      > My apologies Eddie, I didn't realize I had switched benefactors. I
                      > found the information you mentioned. Thanks for all your help.

                      No problem, I'm just glad with all the Erics and Andrews I seem to be
                      the only Eddy ;-)

                      --
                      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)