Error when using NONCLASSSKILLLIST with PCGen 5.12.1

  • Ralph Zajac
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 22, 2008
      I'm trying to use an older data set with PCGen 5.12.1, and I'm having
      trouble with one of the Feats.

      The feat lets you pick a non-class skill, and then makes it a class
      skill and gives it a bonus. Whenever I try to add the feat, I get the
      following in an error window:

      Failed to add ability due to null.

      When I look at the log, I see the following:

      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at
      pcgen.core.chooser.SkillListNonClassChoiceManager.getChoices(Unknown
      Source)
      at pcgen.core.chooser.ChooserUtilities.modChoices(Unknown Source)
      at pcgen.core.Ability.modChoices(Unknown Source)
      at pcgen.core.Ability.modChoices(Unknown Source)
      at pcgen.core.AbilityUtilities.finaliseAbility(Unknown Source)
      at pcgen.core.AbilityUtilities.modFeat(Unknown Source)
      at pcgen.gui.tabs.InfoAbility.addAbility(Unknown Source)
      at pcgen.gui.tabs.ability.AvailableAbilityPanel$2.run(Unknown
      Source)
      at
      pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1$WaitCursorEventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
      at
      java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
      at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown
      Source)

      To reproduce the error, put the following in a feats file, create a
      1st level character of any class, and try and add the feat. Here's the
      feat definition:

      City Dweller TYPE:General DESC:Living in a city has allowed you to
      learn something you would not have otherwise.
      CHOOSE:NONCLASSSKILLLIST|LIST BONUS:SKILL|LIST|2 CSKILL:LIST

      NONCLASSSKILLLIST is still in the docs. Has it been removed and the
      docs are just stale?
    • Tom Parker
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 22, 2008
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Zajac" <razajac@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to use an older data set with PCGen 5.12.1, and I'm having
        > trouble with one of the Feats.

        > CHOOSE:NONCLASSSKILLLIST|LIST BONUS:SKILL|LIST|2 CSKILL:LIST
        >
        > NONCLASSSKILLLIST is still in the docs. Has it been removed and the
        > docs are just stale?

        This should still work, as NONCLASSSKILLIST is still valid.
        Appreciate the problem report, we will open a bug and get that looked at.

        As far as that function, I'm not the one with the right skills to
        provide an alternative. You may wish to hop over to
        http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp and see if there
        is an alternate way of coding the feat that would work in 5.12.1

        Thanks.

        TP.
      • Tom Parker
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 19, 2008
          Can a tracker/test monkey please check whether this still fails in the
          latest branch (after the CHOOSE rebuild) and please tracker it if it's
          still failing?

          Thanks

          TP.

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@...> wrote:

          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Zajac" <razajac@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I'm trying to use an older data set with PCGen 5.12.1, and I'm having
          > > trouble with one of the Feats.
          >
          > > CHOOSE:NONCLASSSKILLLIST|LIST BONUS:SKILL|LIST|2 CSKILL:LIST
          > >
          > > NONCLASSSKILLLIST is still in the docs. Has it been removed and the
          > > docs are just stale?
          >
          > This should still work, as NONCLASSSKILLIST is still valid.
          > Appreciate the problem report, we will open a bug and get that
          looked at.

          > As far as that function, I'm not the one with the right skills to
          > provide an alternative. You may wish to hop over to
          > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp and see if there
          > is an alternate way of coding the feat that would work in 5.12.1
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > TP.

        • Martijn Verburg
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2008
            Hi Tom,

            Yes it is failing, I've trackered it under:

            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1903158&group_id=25576&atid=384719

            [1903158] CHOOSE:NONCLASSSKILLLIST broken

            With a very quick summary of where I think it went wrong (basically I
            doubt that it has ever worked as there is a NullPointerException on a
            variable that never appears to have been initialised).

            > Can a tracker/test monkey please check whether this still fails in the
            > latest branch (after the CHOOSE rebuild) and please tracker it if it's
            > still failing?
            >
            > Thanks
            >
            > TP.
            >
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Zajac" <razajac@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I'm trying to use an older data set with PCGen 5.12.1, and I'm
            having
            > > > trouble with one of the Feats.
            > >
            > > > CHOOSE:NONCLASSSKILLLIST|LIST BONUS:SKILL|LIST|2 CSKILL:LIST
            > > >
            > > > NONCLASSSKILLLIST is still in the docs. Has it been removed and the
            > > > docs are just stale?
            > >
            > > This should still work, as NONCLASSSKILLIST is still valid.
            > > Appreciate the problem report, we will open a bug and get that
            > looked at.
            > >
            > > As far as that function, I'm not the one with the right skills to
            > > provide an alternative. You may wish to hop over to
            > > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp and see if there
            > > is an alternate way of coding the feat that would work in 5.12.1
            > >
            > > Thanks.
            > >
            > > TP.

          • Tom Parker
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2008
              Ahh! *light bulb goes on* Now I know where that bug came from!
              Sorry, Martijn, I wish I'd made the association earlier, before I TM'd
              all of these items.

              I need to take this to _experimental and have a decision on how we
              handle these ROOT based tags.

              TP.

              wrote:

              > Hi Tom,
              >
              > Yes it is failing, I've trackered it under:

              https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1903158&group_id=25576&atid=384719

              > [1903158] CHOOSE:NONCLASSSKILLLIST broken
              >
              > With a very quick summary of where I think it went wrong (basically I
              > doubt that it has ever worked as there is a NullPointerException on a
              > variable that never appears to have been initialised).

              > > Can a tracker/test monkey please check whether this still fails in the
              > > latest branch (after the CHOOSE rebuild) and please tracker it if it's
              > > still failing?
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > >
              > > TP.
              > >
              > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Parker" <thpr@> wrote:

              > having

              > > > This should still work, as NONCLASSSKILLIST is still valid.
              > > > Appreciate the problem report, we will open a bug and get that
              > > looked at.
              > > >
              > > > As far as that function, I'm not the one with the right skills to
              > > > provide an alternative. You may wish to hop over to
              > > > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/PCGenListFileHelp and see if
              there
              > > > is an alternate way of coding the feat that would work in 5.12.1
              > > >
              > > > Thanks.
              > > >
              > > > TP.

            • Martijn Verburg
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 27, 2008
                Hey Tom,

                No worries at all! You guys have done an amazing job of keeping the
                Alphas stable enough to use considering the amount of jack hammering
                that's been going on in the code base :)

                Glad we caught this before 5.14 goes out the door though :p

                PS: I'm still slowly working through the other items you TM'd in the
                last week or so, I'll catch up eventually and it's darn good practice
                for me to look in our code base.