[Eddy] Re: Debugging .pcg file

  • taluroniscandar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
      I was looking at this and noticed the Ex Paladin class doesn't have a
      STARTSKILLPTS tag nor a CSKILL tag. The other Ex classes (barbarian
      and druid) have a STARTSKILLPTS tag but no CSKILL tag.

      Is this correct? I thought the class needed to be complete (to the
      extent of the Ex class itself) to work properly. If you try to create
      the character from scratch with the Ex class (as opposed to using the
      'trade-in' feature), without these tags are you going to be able to do
      it correctly?

      And shouldn't there be an ex-bard entry?
    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
        taluroniscandar scribed:

        > I was looking at this and noticed the Ex Paladin class doesn't have a
        > STARTSKILLPTS tag nor a CSKILL tag. The other Ex classes (barbarian
        > and druid) have a STARTSKILLPTS tag but no CSKILL tag.
        >
        > Is this correct? I thought the class needed to be complete (to the
        > extent of the Ex class itself) to work properly. If you try to create
        > the character from scratch with the Ex class (as opposed to using the
        > 'trade-in' feature), without these tags are you going to be able to do
        > it correctly?

        Looks like you've uncovered a data bug. I tested the classes and found that
        without the CSKILL list all the skill costs are recalculated and the PC ends
        up with a negative number of skill points. I'll open a tracker for this.

        > And shouldn't there be an ex-bard entry?

        Technically yes. The Monk as well. These were probably never coded because
        there is no loss of abilities, only the prohibition on gaining new levels of
        these classes. This is similar to the Monks prohibition on multi-classing
        which we also leave to the user to police.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      • taluroniscandar
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 20, 2008
          > Looks like you've uncovered a data bug. I tested the classes and
          found that
          > without the CSKILL list all the skill costs are recalculated and the
          PC ends
          > up with a negative number of skill points. I'll open a tracker for this.

          Which explains why the OP had negative skill points.

          > > And shouldn't there be an ex-bard entry?
          >
          > Technically yes. The Monk as well. These were probably never coded
          because
          > there is no loss of abilities, only the prohibition on gaining new
          levels of
          > these classes. This is similar to the Monks prohibition on
          multi-classing
          > which we also leave to the user to police.

          Ah, yes. Quite right. But would PCGen allow the user to change the
          alignment of an ex-bard character to lawful good?
        • Rich
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 21, 2008
            On Jan 17, 2008 4:53 PM, Rich <richard.askham@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I hope I am sending this to the right list, apologies if not.
            >
            > I am assisting a friend whose character managed with PCGen has become
            > broken. She is currently sitting with 43 more skill points allocated
            > than she is permitted (Total Skill Points Left: -43).

            Something else that I've picked up, is that PCGen doesn't count the
            ex-paladin caster levels with the paladin of freedom caster levels,
            and as such only sees the 11th level paladin (ex(8), POF(4)) as having
            only the POF caster levels. This effects the spells per day info in
            the character sheet.

            Do I need to log a bug for this?

            --

            Rich