Re: custom race problem

  • ltwally
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 17, 2008
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > On 18/01/2008, ltwally <ltwally@...> wrote:
      > > I've been working on creating "custom" races, and they don't seem
      > > be receiving the correct number of feats from their racial HD.
      > >
      > > Example #1: I entered the stats for the Malaugrim, which has 5 HD
      > > and 4 feats. I set "Bonus starting feats" to 0, and enter all 4
      > > feats under the "Selected Feats" section of the Feats tab.
      > >
      > > When I create a character based on this race, with 0 class levels
      > > (just racial HD), I see the 4 automatically applied feats and
      PCGen
      > > telling me that I have 1 feat remaining.
      > >
      > > Example #2: I entered the stats for the Githzerai, which has 0 HD
      > > and 0 feats. I set "Bonus starting feats" to 0, and leave the
      feats
      > > tab empty.
      > >
      > > When I create a character based on this race, with 1 class level,
      > > PCGen reports 0 feats remaining.
      > >

      > > What gives?
      > >

      > All characters get a feat every three levels or HD. This is a factor
      > of the game mode rather than the race and would account for the
      extra
      > feats you are seeing.
      >
      > --
      > Cheers,
      > James Dempsey
      > PCGen Code SB

      Then shouldn't a 5 HD monster have 2 feats listed as free?

      Or, if PCGen is counting the 4 feats I through in to the template,
      shouldn't the monster have -2 feats listed as free?

      Also, how does this factor in to my second example. That is a zero
      HD monster, and a character based on it isn't getting a feat at 1st
      level.

      Seems to me something is quirky.
    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2008
        Hi,

        On 18/01/2008 6:37 PM ltwally wrote
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@...> wrote:
        >
        >> On 18/01/2008, ltwally <ltwally@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> Malaugrim, which has 5 HD
        >>> and 4 feats. I set "Bonus starting feats" to 0, and enter all 4
        >>> feats under the "Selected Feats" section of the Feats tab.
        >>>
        >>> When I create a character based on this race, with 0 class levels
        >>> (just racial HD), I see the 4 automatically applied feats and PCGen telling me that I have 1 feat remaining.

        Here you have your 4 specific feats you have granted,. no starting feats
        and a feat received at 3HD. If you advance it to 6HD you should see a
        second feat available.

        >>> Example #2: I entered the stats for the Githzerai, which has 0 HD
        >>> and 0 feats. I set "Bonus starting feats" to 0, and leave the feats tab empty.
        >>>
        >>> When I create a character based on this race, with 1 class level,
        >>> PCGen reports 0 feats remaining.

        Here you have said no starting feats, so you get none and as you have
        not reached 3rd level you do not get a bonus feat yet.

        >> All characters get a feat every three levels or HD. This is a factor
        >> of the game mode rather than the race and would account for the
        >>
        > extra
        >
        >> feats you are seeing.
        >>

        > Then shouldn't a 5 HD monster have 2 feats listed as free?

        No, you have said no starting feat and the system is giving a feat every
        3 levels. When you hit 6th level/HD you should see 2 feats free.
        > Or, if PCGen is counting the 4 feats I through in to the template,
        > shouldn't the monster have -2 feats listed as free?
        >

        > Also, how does this factor in to my second example. That is a zero
        > HD monster, and a character based on it isn't getting a feat at 1st
        > level.

        I've provided specific info above - hope that helps.

        James Dempsey
        PCGen Code SB
      • ltwally
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 18, 2008
          So, for the first example, what can I do to get rid of that 3rd HD
          feat?