Debugging .pcg file

  • Rich
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 17, 2008
      Hi,

      I hope I am sending this to the right list, apologies if not.

      I am assisting a friend whose character managed with PCGen has become
      broken. She is currently sitting with 43 more skill points allocated
      than she is permitted (Total Skill Points Left: -43).

      I am rebuilding her character from scratch, but I need to ascertain
      what skills points are allowed, and where the ability score increases
      possibly affected her skill point allocations. Here is the section
      from the .pcg file:

      # Character Class(es)
      CLASS:Ex Paladin|SUBCLASS:None|LEVEL:8|SKILLPOOL:0|PROHIBITED:None
      CLASS:Paladin of
      Freedom|SUBCLASS:None|LEVEL:4|SKILLPOOL:0|SPELLBASE:WIS|CANCASTPERDAY:0,0|PROHIBITED:None
      CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Ex Paladin=1|HITPOINTS:6|SKILLSGAINED:8
      CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Ex Paladin=2|HITPOINTS:8|SKILLSGAINED:2
      CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Ex Paladin=3|HITPOINTS:7|SKILLSGAINED:2
      CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Ex Paladin=4|HITPOINTS:8|PRESTAT:STR=1|SKILLSGAINED:2
      CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Ex
      Paladin=5|HITPOINTS:10|POSTSTAT:STR=7|POSTSTAT:DEX=2|POSTSTAT:CON=4|POSTSTAT:INT=4|POSTSTAT:WIS=5|POSTSTAT:CHA=3|SKILLSGAINED:2
      CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Ex Paladin=6|HITPOINTS:8|SKILLSGAINED:4
      CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Ex Paladin=7|HITPOINTS:1|SKILLSGAINED:4
      CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Ex
      Paladin=8|HITPOINTS:1|PRESTAT:STR=1|POSTSTAT:STR=3|POSTSTAT:DEX=1|SKILLSGAINED:4
      CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Paladin of
      Freedom=1|HITPOINTS:8|POSTSTAT:STR=-4|SKILLSGAINED:4
      CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Paladin of Freedom=2|HITPOINTS:6|SKILLSGAINED:4
      CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Paladin of Freedom=3|HITPOINTS:10|SKILLSGAINED:4
      CLASSABILITIESLEVEL:Paladin of
      Freedom=4|HITPOINTS:8|PRESTAT:CHA=1|SKILLSGAINED:4

      I'm not sure I understand the PRESTAT/POSTSTAT values. I am assuming
      there was an increase of INT at 5th level which resulted in more skill
      points to allocate, but I don't understand how there could be an
      increase to 2 to the skill points allocated at level-up. Her current
      INT score is 14 (+2). The above implies that before level 6 it was 10
      or 11 (+0). Is something broken, or am I missing something?

      --

      Rich
    • taluroniscandar
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
        I was looking at this and noticed the Ex Paladin class doesn't have a
        STARTSKILLPTS tag nor a CSKILL tag. The other Ex classes (barbarian
        and druid) have a STARTSKILLPTS tag but no CSKILL tag.

        Is this correct? I thought the class needed to be complete (to the
        extent of the Ex class itself) to work properly. If you try to create
        the character from scratch with the Ex class (as opposed to using the
        'trade-in' feature), without these tags are you going to be able to do
        it correctly?

        And shouldn't there be an ex-bard entry?
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008
          taluroniscandar scribed:

          > I was looking at this and noticed the Ex Paladin class doesn't have a
          > STARTSKILLPTS tag nor a CSKILL tag. The other Ex classes (barbarian
          > and druid) have a STARTSKILLPTS tag but no CSKILL tag.
          >
          > Is this correct? I thought the class needed to be complete (to the
          > extent of the Ex class itself) to work properly. If you try to create
          > the character from scratch with the Ex class (as opposed to using the
          > 'trade-in' feature), without these tags are you going to be able to do
          > it correctly?

          Looks like you've uncovered a data bug. I tested the classes and found that
          without the CSKILL list all the skill costs are recalculated and the PC ends
          up with a negative number of skill points. I'll open a tracker for this.

          > And shouldn't there be an ex-bard entry?

          Technically yes. The Monk as well. These were probably never coded because
          there is no loss of abilities, only the prohibition on gaining new levels of
          these classes. This is similar to the Monks prohibition on multi-classing
          which we also leave to the user to police.
          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 20, 2008
            > Looks like you've uncovered a data bug. I tested the classes and
            found that
            > without the CSKILL list all the skill costs are recalculated and the
            PC ends
            > up with a negative number of skill points. I'll open a tracker for this.

            Which explains why the OP had negative skill points.

            > > And shouldn't there be an ex-bard entry?
            >
            > Technically yes. The Monk as well. These were probably never coded
            because
            > there is no loss of abilities, only the prohibition on gaining new
            levels of
            > these classes. This is similar to the Monks prohibition on
            multi-classing
            > which we also leave to the user to police.

            Ah, yes. Quite right. But would PCGen allow the user to change the
            alignment of an ex-bard character to lawful good?
          • Rich
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 21, 2008
              On Jan 17, 2008 4:53 PM, Rich <richard.askham@...> wrote:
              > Hi,
              >
              > I hope I am sending this to the right list, apologies if not.
              >
              > I am assisting a friend whose character managed with PCGen has become
              > broken. She is currently sitting with 43 more skill points allocated
              > than she is permitted (Total Skill Points Left: -43).

              Something else that I've picked up, is that PCGen doesn't count the
              ex-paladin caster levels with the paladin of freedom caster levels,
              and as such only sees the 11th level paladin (ex(8), POF(4)) as having
              only the POF caster levels. This effects the spells per day info in
              the character sheet.

              Do I need to log a bug for this?

              --

              Rich