Customize Item -- change range?

  • Jeremy Trabue
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2008
      Hi all --

      This application is great. Thank you all for your hard work.

      I have tried, honestly, to find the answer to this question myself,
      but failed.

      My question is: how can I customize a weapon to change its range
      interval? Specifically, I am trying to recreate the old Darts of
      Homing magic item from 2E in my 3.5 E campaign. It has 3 essential
      properties -- it returns to the thrower (doesn't need to be included
      in PCGen data), it is a +3 weapon (easy, done), and it has double the
      short, medium, and long ranges, which I am converting to a doubled
      range interval (i.e. 40' instead of 20') for 3.5E.

      I cannot discover a way to do this in PCGen. I can get to and mostly
      understand the customize item dialog box, but don't see any option for
      changing the range. I do see the "SProp" button at the bottom, but I
      have no clue about how to enter a special property or what one is.

      Thanks in advance for any help.

      --JT

      PS: running 5.12.1 on a Mac.
    • Barak
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2008

        That would mean you need to apply the "Distance" equipmod.

        Barak
      • Jeremy Trabue
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 17, 2008
          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

> [...]

          Hi Barak:

          thanks for your reply to my post. I'm afraid I'm too ignorant for it
          to have been fully helpful.

          What is an equipmod, and how would I apply the "Distance" one? So far,
          I have only been in the "Create Custom Item" dialog box, and I don't
          see anything there that seems to match that nomenclature.

          What am I doing wrong?

          Thanks in advance,

          --JT
        • Barak
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 17, 2008

            Since PCGen strictly follows the item creation rules from the DMG, you have
            to have a magic item before you can apply other special abilities.

            Right click on the item, select to customize it, give it a bonus (one of the
            +# type) and then all the other options available will appear in the list
            and then you select the "Distance" one.

            Barak
          • Jeremy Trabue
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 17, 2008
              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Barak" <barak@...> wrote:

              Thanks again! That seems like progress -- however, there is a "Distant
              Shot" attribute, which eliminates all range penalties, but I don't see
              a "Distance" attribute. (I did find the "returning" attribute, though!)

              Further guidance? Thanks again and sorry to be a pest!

              --JT
            • taluroniscandar
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 19, 2008
                > Thanks again! That seems like progress -- however, there is a "Distant
                > Shot" attribute, which eliminates all range penalties, but I don't see
                > a "Distance" attribute. (I did find the "returning" attribute, though!)
                >
                > Further guidance? Thanks again and sorry to be a pest!

                Distant Shot is from the epic part of the RSRD.
                Distance is from the basic part of the RSRD.

                I have both loaded (I load Complete which loads all parts) and
                Distance is the entry directly above Distant Shot.

                What RSRD source material loader are you using?