Re: UI freezes when creating New character, pcgen 5121

  • Paul Grosse
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
      I'm using AVG, AVGST and Spybot on my desktop and don't notice any real
      slowdown.

      Paul Grosse
      Motorized Chassis Engineer
      Monaco Coach Corp.
      606 Nelson's Parkway
      PO Box 465
      Wakarusa, IN 46573
      (800) 650-7337
      (574) 862-7388
    • joefrazierjr
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 3, 2008

        > I have used both AVG and AVAST (at the same time) I can't see any
        > noticeable difference with them running or not - I have a memory monitor
        > and I don't see too much use. The big names seem to fill the AV with
        > bloat. PCGen loads at about the same speed... So, I'm interested in the
        > results of Joe's test.

        Tested 3 times on 2 PC's each test. One running AVG Free edition
        version 7.5 AMD 4300 Dual Core 1MB ram or so:

        Average time to load to the Sources Screen:7 sec
        Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 8 sec
        Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 5 sec

        ------------------------------

        Second PC 2 GH laptop 2 GM Ram

        With Antivirus running:
        Average time to load to the Sources Screen:60 sec
        Average time to load to the Splash Screen:35 sec
        Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 12 sec
        Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 9 sec

        WITHOUT Antivirus running:
        Average time to load to the Sources Screen:9 sec
        Average time to load to the Splash Screen:6 sec
        Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 12 sec
        Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 7 sec

        -----------------------

        AV info is Network Associates Enterprise whatever, with On Access Scan
        turned on. Unfortunatly, the second PC is a work computer and all the
        AV stuff is not something I can modify. I can hack the registry, and
        restart the services, but every time I connect to the corporate
        network, it just resets the reg entries and our IT staff won't even
        allow us to set sandbox directories that are immune to the on access
        scanning(hence my sometimes reg hacks). Trying to run Eclipse on
        this machine is a nightmare since I am a developer and use it
        occasionally at work for some tools I work on. I just end up turning
        off Virus Scan when I am working in order to get anything done.

        Joe