[Bug] Weird effect with Bonus VAR and ability pools

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2008
      Ok, this one is just plain odd.

      IN a ABILITY file:
      Foo Feat
      BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Force Powers|ForceTrainingNumber
      BONUS:VAR|ForceTrainingNumber|WIS
      BONUS:VAR|ForceTrainingNumber|1|TYPE=Initial CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
      MULT:YES
      STACK:YES
      (Can be no, but doesn't make a difference, I tried both ways)
      SA:Force Powers Known: %|ForceTrainingNumber
      DEFINE:ForceTrainingNumber|0

      In ABILITYCATEGORY FILE (or miscinfo)
      ABILITYCATEGORY:Force Powers
      CATEGORY:Force Powers
      TYPE:ForcePowers
      VISIBLE:QUALIFY
      DISPLAYLOCATION:Class Abilities
      EDITABLE:YES
      EDITPOOL:YES
      FRACTIONALPOOL:NO

      ---
      Now what SHOULD happen, first time you take the feat gain WISDOM bonus
      +1, each additional time you gain another WISDOM modifier.

      Test with any Wisdom, preferably with 12 or higher...

      My results varied each time... I had Wis 12...
      Feat Taken x1 = 2
      Feat Taken x2 = 10
      Wis =16
      x1 =4
      x2 =26

      Should have been: Wis 12 =1
      Feat Taken x1 = 2 (Wis +1)
      Feat Taken x2 = 3 (Wis + Wis +1)

      Wis 16
      x1 =4
      x2 =7
      Strangely enough the console gave the proper number.

      I was encountering odd behavior with ABILITYPOOL as well, it will take a
      Jep 'word' expression, but wouldn't take a direct formula

      BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Foo Pool|INT+3 - wouldn't work, but
      BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Foo Pool|FooBarFormula

      DEFINE:FooBarFormula|0
      BONUS:VAR|FooBarFormula|INT+3 would work.

      PCGEN = 5.13.6

      --
      ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
      "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

    • Tir Gwaith
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2008
        On 1/1/08, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
        > Ok, this one is just plain odd.
        >
        > IN a ABILITY file:
        > Foo Feat
        > BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Force Powers|ForceTrainingNumber
        > BONUS:VAR|ForceTrainingNumber|WIS
        > BONUS:VAR|ForceTrainingNumber|1|TYPE=Initial CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
        > MULT:YES
        > STACK:YES
        > (Can be no, but doesn't make a difference, I tried both ways)
        > SA:Force Powers Known: %|ForceTrainingNumber
        > DEFINE:ForceTrainingNumber|0

        You realize you have a : in the SA tag? That used to cause problems
        in the past. Maybe not anymore, but my eyes let me know it is a
        potential problem.

        I hate the way BONUS in feats/abilities has flip-flopped on how it is
        processed. I get confused as to how it is interpreted by PCGen
        whenever I'm looking at this stuff.

        I much prefer
        BONUS:VAR|ForceTrainingNumber|(WIS*COUNT[FEATNAME=Foo Feat])

        (Very clear it is adding that every time the feat is taken.)

        PCGen LST Chimp
      • Eddy Anthony
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2008
          Hi Andrew

          I think what is happening is that the BONUS:ABILITYPOOL is also being
          added for each time the ability is taken. Try moving BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Force
          Powers|ForceTrainingNumber out of the ability and see if that fixes it.

          Andrew Maitland scribed:

          --
          ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
        • taluroniscandar
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2008

            > On 1/1/08, Andrew Maitland <drew0500@...> wrote:
            > > Ok, this one is just plain odd.
            > >
            > > IN a ABILITY file:
            > > Foo Feat
            > > BONUS:ABILITYPOOL|Force Powers|ForceTrainingNumber
            > > BONUS:VAR|ForceTrainingNumber|WIS
            > > BONUS:VAR|ForceTrainingNumber|1|TYPE=Initial CHOOSE:NOCHOICE
            > > MULT:YES
            > > STACK:YES
            > > (Can be no, but doesn't make a difference, I tried both ways)
            > > SA:Force Powers Known: %|ForceTrainingNumber
            > > DEFINE:ForceTrainingNumber|0
            > >

            > You realize you have a : in the SA tag? That used to cause problems
            > in the past. Maybe not anymore, but my eyes let me know it is a
            > potential problem.
            >
            > I hate the way BONUS in feats/abilities has flip-flopped on how it is
            > processed. I get confused as to how it is interpreted by PCGen
            > whenever I'm looking at this stuff.
            >
            > I much prefer
            > BONUS:VAR|ForceTrainingNumber|(WIS*COUNT[FEATNAME=Foo Feat])
            >
            > (Very clear it is adding that every time the feat is taken.)

            At one point, this was the only way to get this to work.
            And the count had to be in a hidden feat that wasn't selected multiple
            times, although I believe that limitation has been corrected.
            See Psionic Talent/Psionic Talent Power Points [rsrd] for an example
            feat/hidden feat created before this limitation was corrected.