Re: UI freezes when creating New character, pcgen 5121

  • joefrazierjr
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007

      > On 12/30/07, crazed_ape <darkadept_99@...> wrote:
      > > I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
      > > Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
      > > excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
      > > program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
      > > scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,
      >
      > Every file that is accessed? Like, all the different System files,
      > and all PCCs? Then when loading those, every .LST file? That would
      > cripple things.
      >
      > Side note: using McCaffee and Norton on different computers, I get
      > slowness... I'm still out looking for a good AV program that doesn't
      > eat memory. My one "safe" box without an AV program constantly
      > running is much more on the Zippy scale.
      >
      > --
      > Tir Gwaith
      > PCGen LST Chimp

      Yea, and thats what McCaffee and Norton do by default. On my work
      laptop the settings are all disabled, so I cannot change them. I
      have AVG (free edition) on my desktop but have not tried PCGen on it.
      I will try later today and let you know my results.

      Joe
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007
        I have used both AVG and AVAST (at the same time) I can't see any
        noticeable difference with them running or not - I have a memory monitor
        and I don't see too much use. The big names seem to fill the AV with
        bloat. PCGen loads at about the same speed... So, I'm interested in the
        results of Joe's test.

        joefrazierjr wrote:
        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
        >
        >> On 12/30/07, crazed_ape <darkadept_99@...> wrote:
        >>
        >>> I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
        >>> Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
        >>> excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
        >>> program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
        >>> scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,
        >>>
        >> Every file that is accessed? Like, all the different System files,
        >> and all PCCs? Then when loading those, every .LST file? That would
        >> cripple things.
        >>
        >> Side note: using McCaffee and Norton on different computers, I get
        >> slowness... I'm still out looking for a good AV program that doesn't
        >> eat memory. My one "safe" box without an AV program constantly
        >> running is much more on the Zippy scale.
        >>
        >> --
        >> Tir Gwaith
        >> PCGen LST Chimp
        >>

        > Yea, and thats what McCaffee and Norton do by default. On my work
        > laptop the settings are all disabled, so I cannot change them. I
        > have AVG (free edition) on my desktop but have not tried PCGen on it.
        > I will try later today and let you know my results.
        >
        > Joe

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

      • Paul Grosse
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
          I'm using AVG, AVGST and Spybot on my desktop and don't notice any real
          slowdown.

          Paul Grosse
          Motorized Chassis Engineer
          Monaco Coach Corp.
          606 Nelson's Parkway
          PO Box 465
          Wakarusa, IN 46573
          (800) 650-7337
          (574) 862-7388
        • joefrazierjr
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 3, 2008

            > I have used both AVG and AVAST (at the same time) I can't see any
            > noticeable difference with them running or not - I have a memory monitor
            > and I don't see too much use. The big names seem to fill the AV with
            > bloat. PCGen loads at about the same speed... So, I'm interested in the
            > results of Joe's test.

            Tested 3 times on 2 PC's each test. One running AVG Free edition
            version 7.5 AMD 4300 Dual Core 1MB ram or so:

            Average time to load to the Sources Screen:7 sec
            Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 8 sec
            Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 5 sec

            ------------------------------

            Second PC 2 GH laptop 2 GM Ram

            With Antivirus running:
            Average time to load to the Sources Screen:60 sec
            Average time to load to the Splash Screen:35 sec
            Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 12 sec
            Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 9 sec

            WITHOUT Antivirus running:
            Average time to load to the Sources Screen:9 sec
            Average time to load to the Splash Screen:6 sec
            Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 12 sec
            Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 7 sec

            -----------------------

            AV info is Network Associates Enterprise whatever, with On Access Scan
            turned on. Unfortunatly, the second PC is a work computer and all the
            AV stuff is not something I can modify. I can hack the registry, and
            restart the services, but every time I connect to the corporate
            network, it just resets the reg entries and our IT staff won't even
            allow us to set sandbox directories that are immune to the on access
            scanning(hence my sometimes reg hacks). Trying to run Eclipse on
            this machine is a nightmare since I am a developer and use it
            occasionally at work for some tools I work on. I just end up turning
            off Virus Scan when I am working in order to get anything done.

            Joe