Re: UI freezes when creating New character, pcgen 5121

  • crazed_ape
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 30, 2007
      I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
      Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
      excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
      program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
      scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,
      although I've never noticed a performance problem with compiled
      executables. Possibly their accesses are ignored by the antivirus
      whereas those made by the JVM are not.

      Obscure antivirus prog obscure problems I guess lol ;)

      > That's really interesting. What anti-virus are you running? I'm
      guessing
      > it has been set to do an on demand scan for every access of a class in
      > the jar file, which would cripple the program entirely. Perhaps
      there is
      > a middle ground it could be set to.
      >
      > --
      > Cheers,
      > James Dempsey
      > PCGen Code SB

    • Tir Gwaith
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007
        On 12/30/07, crazed_ape <darkadept_99@...> wrote:
        > I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
        > Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
        > excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
        > program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
        > scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,

        Every file that is accessed? Like, all the different System files,
        and all PCCs? Then when loading those, every .LST file? That would
        cripple things.

        Side note: using McCaffee and Norton on different computers, I get
        slowness... I'm still out looking for a good AV program that doesn't
        eat memory. My one "safe" box without an AV program constantly
        running is much more on the Zippy scale.

        PCGen LST Chimp
      • joefrazierjr
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007

          > On 12/30/07, crazed_ape <darkadept_99@...> wrote:
          > > I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
          > > Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
          > > excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
          > > program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
          > > scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,
          >
          > Every file that is accessed? Like, all the different System files,
          > and all PCCs? Then when loading those, every .LST file? That would
          > cripple things.
          >
          > Side note: using McCaffee and Norton on different computers, I get
          > slowness... I'm still out looking for a good AV program that doesn't
          > eat memory. My one "safe" box without an AV program constantly
          > running is much more on the Zippy scale.
          >
          > --
          > Tir Gwaith
          > PCGen LST Chimp

          Yea, and thats what McCaffee and Norton do by default. On my work
          laptop the settings are all disabled, so I cannot change them. I
          have AVG (free edition) on my desktop but have not tried PCGen on it.
          I will try later today and let you know my results.

          Joe
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007
            I have used both AVG and AVAST (at the same time) I can't see any
            noticeable difference with them running or not - I have a memory monitor
            and I don't see too much use. The big names seem to fill the AV with
            bloat. PCGen loads at about the same speed... So, I'm interested in the
            results of Joe's test.

            joefrazierjr wrote:
            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
            >
            >> On 12/30/07, crazed_ape <darkadept_99@...> wrote:
            >>
            >>> I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
            >>> Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
            >>> excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
            >>> program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
            >>> scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,
            >>>
            >> Every file that is accessed? Like, all the different System files,
            >> and all PCCs? Then when loading those, every .LST file? That would
            >> cripple things.
            >>
            >> Side note: using McCaffee and Norton on different computers, I get
            >> slowness... I'm still out looking for a good AV program that doesn't
            >> eat memory. My one "safe" box without an AV program constantly
            >> running is much more on the Zippy scale.
            >>
            >> --
            >> Tir Gwaith
            >> PCGen LST Chimp
            >>

            > Yea, and thats what McCaffee and Norton do by default. On my work
            > laptop the settings are all disabled, so I cannot change them. I
            > have AVG (free edition) on my desktop but have not tried PCGen on it.
            > I will try later today and let you know my results.
            >
            > Joe

            ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
            "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

          • Paul Grosse
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
              I'm using AVG, AVGST and Spybot on my desktop and don't notice any real
              slowdown.

              Paul Grosse
              Motorized Chassis Engineer
              Monaco Coach Corp.
              606 Nelson's Parkway
              PO Box 465
              Wakarusa, IN 46573
              (800) 650-7337
              (574) 862-7388
            • joefrazierjr
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 3, 2008

                > I have used both AVG and AVAST (at the same time) I can't see any
                > noticeable difference with them running or not - I have a memory monitor
                > and I don't see too much use. The big names seem to fill the AV with
                > bloat. PCGen loads at about the same speed... So, I'm interested in the
                > results of Joe's test.

                Tested 3 times on 2 PC's each test. One running AVG Free edition
                version 7.5 AMD 4300 Dual Core 1MB ram or so:

                Average time to load to the Sources Screen:7 sec
                Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 8 sec
                Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 5 sec

                ------------------------------

                Second PC 2 GH laptop 2 GM Ram

                With Antivirus running:
                Average time to load to the Sources Screen:60 sec
                Average time to load to the Splash Screen:35 sec
                Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 12 sec
                Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 9 sec

                WITHOUT Antivirus running:
                Average time to load to the Sources Screen:9 sec
                Average time to load to the Splash Screen:6 sec
                Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 12 sec
                Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 7 sec

                -----------------------

                AV info is Network Associates Enterprise whatever, with On Access Scan
                turned on. Unfortunatly, the second PC is a work computer and all the
                AV stuff is not something I can modify. I can hack the registry, and
                restart the services, but every time I connect to the corporate
                network, it just resets the reg entries and our IT staff won't even
                allow us to set sandbox directories that are immune to the on access
                scanning(hence my sometimes reg hacks). Trying to run Eclipse on
                this machine is a nightmare since I am a developer and use it
                occasionally at work for some tools I work on. I just end up turning
                off Virus Scan when I am working in order to get anything done.

                Joe