Re: [pcgen] Re: [Bug] [James] UI freezes when creating New character, pcgen 5121

  • Eddy Anthony
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 26, 2007
      crazed_ape scribed:

      > It turns out the gui does become responsive EVENTUALLY lol. It takes
      > over a minute (on a 3.2GHz processor) and there are no progress bars
      > or other feedback so I just assumed the program was deadlocked.
      >
      > Is this amount of initialization time "normal" or does it seem
      > excessive? It takes as long whether I have just one "core book" loaded
      > or the whole RSRD.

      Depends on your processor speed. I have an older 400GHz Mac which runs PCGen
      at these kind of speeds. My 1.8GHz G5 is much zippier. I would not expect
      such a pause from a 3.2GHz machine so I'm not sure what to tell you.
      Regardless of the machine there is always a pause between the time the load
      bar ends and when you can actually start using the program. It would be
      interesting to know what the program is doing at that time, might give us a
      clue why your time is so long.
      --
      ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
    • Andiy Sen
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 26, 2007
        > bar ends and when you can actually start using the program. It would be
        > interesting to know what the program is doing at that time, might give us
        > clue why your time is so long.
        Generating equipment?

        Thanks,
        Andriy
      • Terry FitzSimons
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 26, 2007
          Now that does sound familiar. I think of it as a growing problem. Usually
          it takes me (up to 5.13.x series) several restarts to get the system to
          assign the proper amount of memory for it to run in.

          Usually I would start, close, start, close, start, open something, close,
          start, open, close (ect till I could create a character, then have fun with
          the print to pdf command, another long run there, way back in history it
          took 8hr 42min for it to print a pdf, now it don't.).

          Do you need the last stable?

          Terry

          --

          Terry FitzSimons
          FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

          Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
        • crazed_ape
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 29, 2007
            It turns out my antivirus was the problem. With it disabled, it only
            takes 7 seconds for Pcgen to become usable instead of 70.

            I finally figured this out when I was trying to use a java profiler
            (which was itself a java prog) to see what the hell was going on, and
            *it* got hung up forever.

            So this had nothing at all to do with Pcgen, sorry for the false alarm
            and thanks to everyone who responded.
          • James Dempsey
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 30, 2007

              On 30/12/2007 12:37 PM crazed_ape wrote
              > It turns out my antivirus was the problem. With it disabled, it only
              > takes 7 seconds for Pcgen to become usable instead of 70.
              >
              > I finally figured this out when I was trying to use a java profiler
              > (which was itself a java prog) to see what the hell was going on, and
              > *it* got hung up forever.
              >
              > So this had nothing at all to do with Pcgen, sorry for the false alarm
              > and thanks to everyone who responded.

              That's really interesting. What anti-virus are you running? I'm guessing
              it has been set to do an on demand scan for every access of a class in
              the jar file, which would cripple the program entirely. Perhaps there is
              a middle ground it could be set to.

              James Dempsey
              PCGen Code SB
            • Eddy Anthony
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 30, 2007
                Glad you figured it out. And thank you for replying to report what the
                problem was, although it didn't have anything to do with PCGen this may help
                others encountering the same issue.

                crazed_ape scribed:

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 30, 2007
                  I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
                  Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
                  excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
                  program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
                  scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,
                  although I've never noticed a performance problem with compiled
                  executables. Possibly their accesses are ignored by the antivirus
                  whereas those made by the JVM are not.

                  Obscure antivirus prog obscure problems I guess lol ;)

                  > That's really interesting. What anti-virus are you running? I'm
                  guessing
                  > it has been set to do an on demand scan for every access of a class in
                  > the jar file, which would cripple the program entirely. Perhaps
                  there is
                  > a middle ground it could be set to.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Cheers,
                  > James Dempsey
                  > PCGen Code SB

                • Tir Gwaith
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007
                    On 12/30/07, crazed_ape <darkadept_99@...> wrote:
                    > I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
                    > Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
                    > excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
                    > program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
                    > scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,

                    Every file that is accessed? Like, all the different System files,
                    and all PCCs? Then when loading those, every .LST file? That would
                    cripple things.

                    Side note: using McCaffee and Norton on different computers, I get
                    slowness... I'm still out looking for a good AV program that doesn't
                    eat memory. My one "safe" box without an AV program constantly
                    running is much more on the Zippy scale.

                    PCGen LST Chimp
                  • joefrazierjr
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007

                      > On 12/30/07, crazed_ape <darkadept_99@...> wrote:
                      > > I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
                      > > Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
                      > > excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
                      > > program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
                      > > scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,
                      >
                      > Every file that is accessed? Like, all the different System files,
                      > and all PCCs? Then when loading those, every .LST file? That would
                      > cripple things.
                      >
                      > Side note: using McCaffee and Norton on different computers, I get
                      > slowness... I'm still out looking for a good AV program that doesn't
                      > eat memory. My one "safe" box without an AV program constantly
                      > running is much more on the Zippy scale.
                      >
                      > --
                      > Tir Gwaith
                      > PCGen LST Chimp

                      Yea, and thats what McCaffee and Norton do by default. On my work
                      laptop the settings are all disabled, so I cannot change them. I
                      have AVG (free edition) on my desktop but have not tried PCGen on it.
                      I will try later today and let you know my results.

                      Joe
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007
                        I have used both AVG and AVAST (at the same time) I can't see any
                        noticeable difference with them running or not - I have a memory monitor
                        and I don't see too much use. The big names seem to fill the AV with
                        bloat. PCGen loads at about the same speed... So, I'm interested in the
                        results of Joe's test.

                        joefrazierjr wrote:
                        > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> On 12/30/07, crazed_ape <darkadept_99@...> wrote:
                        >>
                        >>> I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
                        >>> Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
                        >>> excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
                        >>> program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
                        >>> scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,
                        >>>
                        >> Every file that is accessed? Like, all the different System files,
                        >> and all PCCs? Then when loading those, every .LST file? That would
                        >> cripple things.
                        >>
                        >> Side note: using McCaffee and Norton on different computers, I get
                        >> slowness... I'm still out looking for a good AV program that doesn't
                        >> eat memory. My one "safe" box without an AV program constantly
                        >> running is much more on the Zippy scale.
                        >>
                        >> --
                        >> Tir Gwaith
                        >> PCGen LST Chimp
                        >>

                        > Yea, and thats what McCaffee and Norton do by default. On my work
                        > laptop the settings are all disabled, so I cannot change them. I
                        > have AVG (free edition) on my desktop but have not tried PCGen on it.
                        > I will try later today and let you know my results.
                        >
                        > Joe

                        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

                      • Paul Grosse
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                          I'm using AVG, AVGST and Spybot on my desktop and don't notice any real
                          slowdown.

                          Paul Grosse
                          Motorized Chassis Engineer
                          Monaco Coach Corp.
                          606 Nelson's Parkway
                          PO Box 465
                          Wakarusa, IN 46573
                          (800) 650-7337
                          (574) 862-7388
                        • joefrazierjr
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 3, 2008

                            > I have used both AVG and AVAST (at the same time) I can't see any
                            > noticeable difference with them running or not - I have a memory monitor
                            > and I don't see too much use. The big names seem to fill the AV with
                            > bloat. PCGen loads at about the same speed... So, I'm interested in the
                            > results of Joe's test.

                            Tested 3 times on 2 PC's each test. One running AVG Free edition
                            version 7.5 AMD 4300 Dual Core 1MB ram or so:

                            Average time to load to the Sources Screen:7 sec
                            Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 8 sec
                            Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 5 sec

                            ------------------------------

                            Second PC 2 GH laptop 2 GM Ram

                            With Antivirus running:
                            Average time to load to the Sources Screen:60 sec
                            Average time to load to the Splash Screen:35 sec
                            Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 12 sec
                            Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 9 sec

                            WITHOUT Antivirus running:
                            Average time to load to the Sources Screen:9 sec
                            Average time to load to the Splash Screen:6 sec
                            Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 12 sec
                            Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 7 sec

                            -----------------------

                            AV info is Network Associates Enterprise whatever, with On Access Scan
                            turned on. Unfortunatly, the second PC is a work computer and all the
                            AV stuff is not something I can modify. I can hack the registry, and
                            restart the services, but every time I connect to the corporate
                            network, it just resets the reg entries and our IT staff won't even
                            allow us to set sandbox directories that are immune to the on access
                            scanning(hence my sometimes reg hacks). Trying to run Eclipse on
                            this machine is a nightmare since I am a developer and use it
                            occasionally at work for some tools I work on. I just end up turning
                            off Virus Scan when I am working in order to get anything done.

                            Joe