Re: [pcgen] Re: UI freezes when creating New character, pcgen 5121

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 25, 2007
      I am using my laptop. 3.33G processor, 1G ram, slow (5400) hard drive,
      Java 1.6.0_03-b05

      From when I click on the icon to start PCGen, about 27 seconds to get
      the initial panel up. About 7 seconds to load the complete RSRD with
      homebrew stuff, and about 4 seconds to start a new PC.

      As an FYI, if you are using the complete RSRD, it is only 1 entry on the
      Source Materials panel (RSRD -> Complete -> 3.5 RSRD)

      -- David
      Papa-DRB

      Grognard <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grognard>

      crazed_ape wrote:
      > Wrote my last post before I saw the response from Terry, here's the
      > additional info:
      >
      > OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
      > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
      > OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
      >
      > java version "1.6.0_03"
      > Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0_03-b05, mixed mode, sharing)
      >
      > Windows updates are current. Loading the indicated sources does leave
      > my console clear.
      >
      > My initial question is kind of irrelevant now since the program does
      > start working eventually, but I'd still like to know if something
      > isn't right, or if the long initialization time (over a minute) is normal.

    • Eddy Anthony
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 26, 2007
        crazed_ape scribed:

        > It turns out the gui does become responsive EVENTUALLY lol. It takes
        > over a minute (on a 3.2GHz processor) and there are no progress bars
        > or other feedback so I just assumed the program was deadlocked.
        >
        > Is this amount of initialization time "normal" or does it seem
        > excessive? It takes as long whether I have just one "core book" loaded
        > or the whole RSRD.

        Depends on your processor speed. I have an older 400GHz Mac which runs PCGen
        at these kind of speeds. My 1.8GHz G5 is much zippier. I would not expect
        such a pause from a 3.2GHz machine so I'm not sure what to tell you.
        Regardless of the machine there is always a pause between the time the load
        bar ends and when you can actually start using the program. It would be
        interesting to know what the program is doing at that time, might give us a
        clue why your time is so long.
        --
        ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
      • Andiy Sen
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 26, 2007
          > bar ends and when you can actually start using the program. It would be
          > interesting to know what the program is doing at that time, might give us
          > clue why your time is so long.
          Generating equipment?

          Thanks,
          Andriy
        • Terry FitzSimons
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 26, 2007
            Now that does sound familiar. I think of it as a growing problem. Usually
            it takes me (up to 5.13.x series) several restarts to get the system to
            assign the proper amount of memory for it to run in.

            Usually I would start, close, start, close, start, open something, close,
            start, open, close (ect till I could create a character, then have fun with
            the print to pdf command, another long run there, way back in history it
            took 8hr 42min for it to print a pdf, now it don't.).

            Do you need the last stable?

            Terry

            --

            Terry FitzSimons
            FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

            Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
          • crazed_ape
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 29, 2007
              It turns out my antivirus was the problem. With it disabled, it only
              takes 7 seconds for Pcgen to become usable instead of 70.

              I finally figured this out when I was trying to use a java profiler
              (which was itself a java prog) to see what the hell was going on, and
              *it* got hung up forever.

              So this had nothing at all to do with Pcgen, sorry for the false alarm
              and thanks to everyone who responded.
            • James Dempsey
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 30, 2007

                On 30/12/2007 12:37 PM crazed_ape wrote
                > It turns out my antivirus was the problem. With it disabled, it only
                > takes 7 seconds for Pcgen to become usable instead of 70.
                >
                > I finally figured this out when I was trying to use a java profiler
                > (which was itself a java prog) to see what the hell was going on, and
                > *it* got hung up forever.
                >
                > So this had nothing at all to do with Pcgen, sorry for the false alarm
                > and thanks to everyone who responded.

                That's really interesting. What anti-virus are you running? I'm guessing
                it has been set to do an on demand scan for every access of a class in
                the jar file, which would cripple the program entirely. Perhaps there is
                a middle ground it could be set to.

                James Dempsey
                PCGen Code SB
              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 30, 2007
                  Glad you figured it out. And thank you for replying to report what the
                  problem was, although it didn't have anything to do with PCGen this may help
                  others encountering the same issue.

                  crazed_ape scribed:

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 30, 2007
                    I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
                    Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
                    excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
                    program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
                    scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,
                    although I've never noticed a performance problem with compiled
                    executables. Possibly their accesses are ignored by the antivirus
                    whereas those made by the JVM are not.

                    Obscure antivirus prog obscure problems I guess lol ;)

                    > That's really interesting. What anti-virus are you running? I'm
                    guessing
                    > it has been set to do an on demand scan for every access of a class in
                    > the jar file, which would cripple the program entirely. Perhaps
                    there is
                    > a middle ground it could be set to.
                    >
                    > --
                    > Cheers,
                    > James Dempsey
                    > PCGen Code SB

                  • Tir Gwaith
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007
                      On 12/30/07, crazed_ape <darkadept_99@...> wrote:
                      > I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
                      > Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
                      > excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
                      > program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
                      > scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,

                      Every file that is accessed? Like, all the different System files,
                      and all PCCs? Then when loading those, every .LST file? That would
                      cripple things.

                      Side note: using McCaffee and Norton on different computers, I get
                      slowness... I'm still out looking for a good AV program that doesn't
                      eat memory. My one "safe" box without an AV program constantly
                      running is much more on the Zippy scale.

                      PCGen LST Chimp
                    • joefrazierjr
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007

                        > On 12/30/07, crazed_ape <darkadept_99@...> wrote:
                        > > I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
                        > > Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
                        > > excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
                        > > program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
                        > > scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,
                        >
                        > Every file that is accessed? Like, all the different System files,
                        > and all PCCs? Then when loading those, every .LST file? That would
                        > cripple things.
                        >
                        > Side note: using McCaffee and Norton on different computers, I get
                        > slowness... I'm still out looking for a good AV program that doesn't
                        > eat memory. My one "safe" box without an AV program constantly
                        > running is much more on the Zippy scale.
                        >
                        > --
                        > Tir Gwaith
                        > PCGen LST Chimp

                        Yea, and thats what McCaffee and Norton do by default. On my work
                        laptop the settings are all disabled, so I cannot change them. I
                        have AVG (free edition) on my desktop but have not tried PCGen on it.
                        I will try later today and let you know my results.

                        Joe
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007
                          I have used both AVG and AVAST (at the same time) I can't see any
                          noticeable difference with them running or not - I have a memory monitor
                          and I don't see too much use. The big names seem to fill the AV with
                          bloat. PCGen loads at about the same speed... So, I'm interested in the
                          results of Joe's test.

                          joefrazierjr wrote:
                          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> On 12/30/07, crazed_ape <darkadept_99@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >>> I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
                          >>> Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
                          >>> excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
                          >>> program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
                          >>> scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,
                          >>>
                          >> Every file that is accessed? Like, all the different System files,
                          >> and all PCCs? Then when loading those, every .LST file? That would
                          >> cripple things.
                          >>
                          >> Side note: using McCaffee and Norton on different computers, I get
                          >> slowness... I'm still out looking for a good AV program that doesn't
                          >> eat memory. My one "safe" box without an AV program constantly
                          >> running is much more on the Zippy scale.
                          >>
                          >> --
                          >> Tir Gwaith
                          >> PCGen LST Chimp
                          >>

                          > Yea, and thats what McCaffee and Norton do by default. On my work
                          > laptop the settings are all disabled, so I cannot change them. I
                          > have AVG (free edition) on my desktop but have not tried PCGen on it.
                          > I will try later today and let you know my results.
                          >
                          > Joe

                          ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                          "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

                        • Paul Grosse
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                            I'm using AVG, AVGST and Spybot on my desktop and don't notice any real
                            slowdown.

                            Paul Grosse
                            Motorized Chassis Engineer
                            Monaco Coach Corp.
                            606 Nelson's Parkway
                            PO Box 465
                            Wakarusa, IN 46573
                            (800) 650-7337
                            (574) 862-7388
                          • joefrazierjr
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 3, 2008

                              > I have used both AVG and AVAST (at the same time) I can't see any
                              > noticeable difference with them running or not - I have a memory monitor
                              > and I don't see too much use. The big names seem to fill the AV with
                              > bloat. PCGen loads at about the same speed... So, I'm interested in the
                              > results of Joe's test.

                              Tested 3 times on 2 PC's each test. One running AVG Free edition
                              version 7.5 AMD 4300 Dual Core 1MB ram or so:

                              Average time to load to the Sources Screen:7 sec
                              Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 8 sec
                              Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 5 sec

                              ------------------------------

                              Second PC 2 GH laptop 2 GM Ram

                              With Antivirus running:
                              Average time to load to the Sources Screen:60 sec
                              Average time to load to the Splash Screen:35 sec
                              Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 12 sec
                              Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 9 sec

                              WITHOUT Antivirus running:
                              Average time to load to the Sources Screen:9 sec
                              Average time to load to the Splash Screen:6 sec
                              Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 12 sec
                              Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 7 sec

                              -----------------------

                              AV info is Network Associates Enterprise whatever, with On Access Scan
                              turned on. Unfortunatly, the second PC is a work computer and all the
                              AV stuff is not something I can modify. I can hack the registry, and
                              restart the services, but every time I connect to the corporate
                              network, it just resets the reg entries and our IT staff won't even
                              allow us to set sandbox directories that are immune to the on access
                              scanning(hence my sometimes reg hacks). Trying to run Eclipse on
                              this machine is a nightmare since I am a developer and use it
                              occasionally at work for some tools I work on. I just end up turning
                              off Virus Scan when I am working in order to get anything done.

                              Joe