UI freezes when creating New character, pcgen 5121

  • crazed_ape
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 25, 2007
      Running XP with 1 gig of RAM and Java 1.06.0_03. Launching Pcgen from
      the pcgen.bat file.

      I can load the sources without a problem, then when I try to create a
      new character from the file menu, the pane will open but all the
      widgets are locked out. The menu bar also stops working at this
      point, the only controls that work are the minimize/maximize window
      buttons. To close the program I have to kill the VM.

      I tried increasing the values of the -xms/-xmx parameters in the .bat
      file, also uninstalling and deleting .ini files and reinstalling, but
      neither had any effect on the problem. Anyone have an idea how to fix
      this?
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 25, 2007
        Merry Christmas,

        crazed_ape wrote:
        > Running XP with 1 gig of RAM and Java 1.06.0_03. Launching Pcgen from
        > the pcgen.bat file.

        Sounds good so far...
        > I can load the sources without a problem, then when I try to create a
        > new character from the file menu, the pane will open but all the
        > widgets are locked out. The menu bar also stops working at this
        > point, the only controls that work are the minimize/maximize window
        > buttons. To close the program I have to kill the VM.

        In the console window, are there any errors? Are you running as an admin
        or least priveledge user?
        > I tried increasing the values of the -xms/-xmx parameters in the .bat
        > file, also uninstalling and deleting .ini files and reinstalling, but
        > neither had any effect on the problem. Anyone have an idea how to fix
        > this?

        That's a tough one... the xms xmx stuff shouldn't matter, that just
        allocates RAM to the program.
        Unfortunately most of our debug monkeys are off on holiday... I have
        access to just ONE and he's with family. I'll try to flag him, but no
        guarantees. :)

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

      • Terry FitzSimons
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 25, 2007
          Probably going to need some more information. Does your XP have the current
          updates? and what is the type of XP is it?

          What sources are your trying to run?

          I just checked and can run the 5.12.1 on my XP.

          You might want to clear the Debug console up on the menu bar.

          Assuming RSRD -> Complete with PcGen OGL.

          My Debug Console is clear, what does yours show?

          I have everything available.

          OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
          Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
          OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

          java version "1.6.0_03-b05"
          Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.6.0_03-b05)

          --

          Terry FitzSimons
          FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

          Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
        • crazed_ape
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 25, 2007
            It turns out the gui does become responsive EVENTUALLY lol. It takes
            over a minute (on a 3.2GHz processor) and there are no progress bars
            or other feedback so I just assumed the program was deadlocked.

            Is this amount of initialization time "normal" or does it seem
            excessive? It takes as long whether I have just one "core book" loaded
            or the whole RSRD.

            The debug console shows there's LOTS of memory available:

            Memory: 520,320Kb total, 435,463.32Kb free, 609,728Kb max.
          • crazed_ape
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 25, 2007
              Wrote my last post before I saw the response from Terry, here's the
              additional info:

              OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
              Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
              OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

              java version "1.6.0_03"
              Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0_03-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

              Windows updates are current. Loading the indicated sources does leave
              my console clear.

              My initial question is kind of irrelevant now since the program does
              start working eventually, but I'd still like to know if something
              isn't right, or if the long initialization time (over a minute) is normal.

              --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Terry FitzSimons <fitzsimons@...> wrote:

              > Probably going to need some more information. Does your XP have the
              current
              > updates? and what is the type of XP is it?
              >
              > What sources are your trying to run?
              >
              > I just checked and can run the 5.12.1 on my XP.
              >
              > You might want to clear the Debug console up on the menu bar.
              >
              > Assuming RSRD -> Complete with PcGen OGL.
              >
              > My Debug Console is clear, what does yours show?
              >
              > I have everything available.
              >
              > OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
              > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
              > OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
              >
              > java version "1.6.0_03-b05"
              > Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.6.0_03-b05)
              > Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0_03-b05, mixed mode)
              >

              > Terry FitzSimons
              > FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)
              >
              > Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon

            • David R. Bender
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 25, 2007
                I am using my laptop. 3.33G processor, 1G ram, slow (5400) hard drive,
                Java 1.6.0_03-b05

                From when I click on the icon to start PCGen, about 27 seconds to get
                the initial panel up. About 7 seconds to load the complete RSRD with
                homebrew stuff, and about 4 seconds to start a new PC.

                As an FYI, if you are using the complete RSRD, it is only 1 entry on the
                Source Materials panel (RSRD -> Complete -> 3.5 RSRD)

                -- David
                Papa-DRB

                Grognard <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grognard>

                crazed_ape wrote:
                > Wrote my last post before I saw the response from Terry, here's the
                > additional info:
                >
                > OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
                > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
                > OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
                >
                > java version "1.6.0_03"
                > Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0_03-b05, mixed mode, sharing)
                >
                > Windows updates are current. Loading the indicated sources does leave
                > my console clear.
                >
                > My initial question is kind of irrelevant now since the program does
                > start working eventually, but I'd still like to know if something
                > isn't right, or if the long initialization time (over a minute) is normal.

              • Eddy Anthony
                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 26, 2007
                  crazed_ape scribed:

                  > It turns out the gui does become responsive EVENTUALLY lol. It takes
                  > over a minute (on a 3.2GHz processor) and there are no progress bars
                  > or other feedback so I just assumed the program was deadlocked.
                  >
                  > Is this amount of initialization time "normal" or does it seem
                  > excessive? It takes as long whether I have just one "core book" loaded
                  > or the whole RSRD.

                  Depends on your processor speed. I have an older 400GHz Mac which runs PCGen
                  at these kind of speeds. My 1.8GHz G5 is much zippier. I would not expect
                  such a pause from a 3.2GHz machine so I'm not sure what to tell you.
                  Regardless of the machine there is always a pause between the time the load
                  bar ends and when you can actually start using the program. It would be
                  interesting to know what the program is doing at that time, might give us a
                  clue why your time is so long.
                  --
                  ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                • Andiy Sen
                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 26, 2007
                    > bar ends and when you can actually start using the program. It would be
                    > interesting to know what the program is doing at that time, might give us
                    > clue why your time is so long.
                    Generating equipment?

                    Thanks,
                    Andriy
                  • Terry FitzSimons
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 26, 2007
                      Now that does sound familiar. I think of it as a growing problem. Usually
                      it takes me (up to 5.13.x series) several restarts to get the system to
                      assign the proper amount of memory for it to run in.

                      Usually I would start, close, start, close, start, open something, close,
                      start, open, close (ect till I could create a character, then have fun with
                      the print to pdf command, another long run there, way back in history it
                      took 8hr 42min for it to print a pdf, now it don't.).

                      Do you need the last stable?

                      Terry

                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 29, 2007
                        It turns out my antivirus was the problem. With it disabled, it only
                        takes 7 seconds for Pcgen to become usable instead of 70.

                        I finally figured this out when I was trying to use a java profiler
                        (which was itself a java prog) to see what the hell was going on, and
                        *it* got hung up forever.

                        So this had nothing at all to do with Pcgen, sorry for the false alarm
                        and thanks to everyone who responded.
                      • James Dempsey
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 30, 2007
                          Hi,

                          On 30/12/2007 12:37 PM crazed_ape wrote
                          > It turns out my antivirus was the problem. With it disabled, it only
                          > takes 7 seconds for Pcgen to become usable instead of 70.
                          >
                          > I finally figured this out when I was trying to use a java profiler
                          > (which was itself a java prog) to see what the hell was going on, and
                          > *it* got hung up forever.
                          >
                          > So this had nothing at all to do with Pcgen, sorry for the false alarm
                          > and thanks to everyone who responded.

                          That's really interesting. What anti-virus are you running? I'm guessing
                          it has been set to do an on demand scan for every access of a class in
                          the jar file, which would cripple the program entirely. Perhaps there is
                          a middle ground it could be set to.

                          James Dempsey
                          PCGen Code SB
                        • Eddy Anthony
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 30, 2007
                            Glad you figured it out. And thank you for replying to report what the
                            problem was, although it didn't have anything to do with PCGen this may help
                            others encountering the same issue.

                            crazed_ape scribed:

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 30, 2007
                              I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
                              Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
                              excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
                              program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
                              scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,
                              although I've never noticed a performance problem with compiled
                              executables. Possibly their accesses are ignored by the antivirus
                              whereas those made by the JVM are not.

                              Obscure antivirus prog obscure problems I guess lol ;)

                              > That's really interesting. What anti-virus are you running? I'm
                              guessing
                              > it has been set to do an on demand scan for every access of a class in
                              > the jar file, which would cripple the program entirely. Perhaps
                              there is
                              > a middle ground it could be set to.
                              >
                              > --
                              > Cheers,
                              > James Dempsey
                              > PCGen Code SB

                            • Tir Gwaith
                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007
                                On 12/30/07, crazed_ape <darkadept_99@...> wrote:
                                > I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
                                > Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
                                > excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
                                > program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
                                > scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,

                                Every file that is accessed? Like, all the different System files,
                                and all PCCs? Then when loading those, every .LST file? That would
                                cripple things.

                                Side note: using McCaffee and Norton on different computers, I get
                                slowness... I'm still out looking for a good AV program that doesn't
                                eat memory. My one "safe" box without an AV program constantly
                                running is much more on the Zippy scale.

                                PCGen LST Chimp
                              • joefrazierjr
                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007

                                  > On 12/30/07, crazed_ape <darkadept_99@...> wrote:
                                  > > I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
                                  > > Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
                                  > > excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
                                  > > program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
                                  > > scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,
                                  >
                                  > Every file that is accessed? Like, all the different System files,
                                  > and all PCCs? Then when loading those, every .LST file? That would
                                  > cripple things.
                                  >
                                  > Side note: using McCaffee and Norton on different computers, I get
                                  > slowness... I'm still out looking for a good AV program that doesn't
                                  > eat memory. My one "safe" box without an AV program constantly
                                  > running is much more on the Zippy scale.
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  > Tir Gwaith
                                  > PCGen LST Chimp

                                  Yea, and thats what McCaffee and Norton do by default. On my work
                                  laptop the settings are all disabled, so I cannot change them. I
                                  have AVG (free edition) on my desktop but have not tried PCGen on it.
                                  I will try later today and let you know my results.

                                  Joe
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 31, 2007
                                    I have used both AVG and AVAST (at the same time) I can't see any
                                    noticeable difference with them running or not - I have a memory monitor
                                    and I don't see too much use. The big names seem to fill the AV with
                                    bloat. PCGen loads at about the same speed... So, I'm interested in the
                                    results of Joe's test.

                                    joefrazierjr wrote:
                                    > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Tir Gwaith" <Tir.Gwaith@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    >> On 12/30/07, crazed_ape <darkadept_99@...> wrote:
                                    >>
                                    >>> I'm using "eTrust EZ Antivirus" by a company called Computer
                                    >>> Associates, it's pretty obscure but it's free from my ISP. I did try
                                    >>> excluding *.jar and *.class files from scans but it didn't help, the
                                    >>> program has very limited configuration options. The "real-time"
                                    >>> scanning feature apparently scans every file that is accessed,
                                    >>>
                                    >> Every file that is accessed? Like, all the different System files,
                                    >> and all PCCs? Then when loading those, every .LST file? That would
                                    >> cripple things.
                                    >>
                                    >> Side note: using McCaffee and Norton on different computers, I get
                                    >> slowness... I'm still out looking for a good AV program that doesn't
                                    >> eat memory. My one "safe" box without an AV program constantly
                                    >> running is much more on the Zippy scale.
                                    >>
                                    >> --
                                    >> Tir Gwaith
                                    >> PCGen LST Chimp
                                    >>

                                    > Yea, and thats what McCaffee and Norton do by default. On my work
                                    > laptop the settings are all disabled, so I cannot change them. I
                                    > have AVG (free edition) on my desktop but have not tried PCGen on it.
                                    > I will try later today and let you know my results.
                                    >
                                    > Joe

                                    ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                                    "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"

                                  • Paul Grosse
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 2, 2008
                                      I'm using AVG, AVGST and Spybot on my desktop and don't notice any real
                                      slowdown.

                                      Paul Grosse
                                      Motorized Chassis Engineer
                                      Monaco Coach Corp.
                                      606 Nelson's Parkway
                                      PO Box 465
                                      Wakarusa, IN 46573
                                      (800) 650-7337
                                      (574) 862-7388
                                    • joefrazierjr
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 3, 2008

                                        > I have used both AVG and AVAST (at the same time) I can't see any
                                        > noticeable difference with them running or not - I have a memory monitor
                                        > and I don't see too much use. The big names seem to fill the AV with
                                        > bloat. PCGen loads at about the same speed... So, I'm interested in the
                                        > results of Joe's test.

                                        Tested 3 times on 2 PC's each test. One running AVG Free edition
                                        version 7.5 AMD 4300 Dual Core 1MB ram or so:

                                        Average time to load to the Sources Screen:7 sec
                                        Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 8 sec
                                        Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 5 sec

                                        ------------------------------

                                        Second PC 2 GH laptop 2 GM Ram

                                        With Antivirus running:
                                        Average time to load to the Sources Screen:60 sec
                                        Average time to load to the Splash Screen:35 sec
                                        Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 12 sec
                                        Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 9 sec

                                        WITHOUT Antivirus running:
                                        Average time to load to the Sources Screen:9 sec
                                        Average time to load to the Splash Screen:6 sec
                                        Average time to load RSD->Campaign: 12 sec
                                        Average time from clicking New PC to interactivity: 7 sec

                                        -----------------------

                                        AV info is Network Associates Enterprise whatever, with On Access Scan
                                        turned on. Unfortunatly, the second PC is a work computer and all the
                                        AV stuff is not something I can modify. I can hack the registry, and
                                        restart the services, but every time I connect to the corporate
                                        network, it just resets the reg entries and our IT staff won't even
                                        allow us to set sandbox directories that are immune to the on access
                                        scanning(hence my sometimes reg hacks). Trying to run Eclipse on
                                        this machine is a nightmare since I am a developer and use it
                                        occasionally at work for some tools I work on. I just end up turning
                                        off Virus Scan when I am working in order to get anything done.

                                        Joe