Soul knife SAs

  • jseturtle2
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 10, 2007
      In the expanded book of Psionics, there are a number of Special
      abilities for Soul knives that don't show up in the PCGen under the SAs
      or with the weapon itself. I can find them in a list of SAs when I
      click "Add", but nothing seems to happen when the object is double
      clicked on. Those are the Psychic Strikes (+1, +2, etc.), Speed of
      Thought as a free feat, and the +X versions of the Mind Blade. Also,
      when I equip a "Mind Blade, Long", my to hit goes down from an
      equipped "Mind Blade, Short" -- even though I have a weapon focus of
      Mind Blade. I tried giving an extra feat of Martial Weaponry: Long
      Sword to help, but it made no difference.

      Since I ultimately want to create a Blade manifester ala ITCK, and they
      still get the Soulknife bonuses at equivalent total level, I should
      also get Bladewind with a 5/4 Soulknife/Blade Manifester. This doesn't
      happen either. I have ITCK and expanded Psionics loaded as sources.
      Any suggestions?
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 10, 2007
        jseturtle2 wrote:
        > In the expanded book of Psionics, there are a number of Special
        > abilities for Soul knives that don't show up in the PCGen under the SAs
        > or with the weapon itself. I can find them in a list of SAs when I
        > click "Add", but nothing seems to happen when the object is double
        > clicked on. Those are the Psychic Strikes (+1, +2, etc.), Speed of
        > Thought as a free feat, and the +X versions of the Mind Blade. Also,
        > when I equip a "Mind Blade, Long", my to hit goes down from an
        > equipped "Mind Blade, Short" -- even though I have a weapon focus of
        > Mind Blade. I tried giving an extra feat of Martial Weaponry: Long
        > Sword to help, but it made no difference.

        I'll see what I can see... but If they aren't showing up on the
        character it might be something that you are A) Qualifying for, B)
        Something not coded properly.
        > Since I ultimately want to create a Blade manifester ala ITCK, and they
        > still get the Soulknife bonuses at equivalent total level, I should
        > also get Bladewind with a 5/4 Soulknife/Blade Manifester. This doesn't
        > happen either. I have ITCK and expanded Psionics loaded as sources.
        > Any suggestions?

        We don't have the Expanded Book of Psionics, we only have what is
        allowed/given in the rsrd which has portions of those books... So I need
        to ask, are you using any CMP (Code Monkey Publishing) sources?

        I'll take a look at the sources we are offering...

        What I do need to know:
        Which version of PCGen are you using?
        Which version of JAVA
        Which Gamemode are you using?

        ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
        "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 10, 2007
          Okay, my cursory glance, everything in the rsrd psionic class
          "Soulknife" looks fine;

          I however, cannot locate a class called Blade Manifester in the ITCK
          source. We only have one class file and I find:
          CLASS:Soulknife ITCK OUTPUTNAME:Soulknife
          CLASS:Slayer ITCK OUTPUTNAME:Slayer
          CLASS:Metamind ITCK OUTPUTNAME:Metamind
          CLASS:Psion ITCK OUTPUTNAME:Psion
          CLASS:Colorless Adept

          And I checked the psionic PrC and Class file.

          AS to the Special Abilities, those should be displaying correctly. I see
          them listed properly.

          The Mind Blade shouldn't be having any problem, all three types are
          listed as the same proficiency.

          However, if you are mixing the ITCK Soulknife with the RSRD Soulknife
          then the problems you are talking about would happen. Best way to
          determine if that is the case, is to look at the source. (In the Classes
          you should be able to add the source listed)

          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 11, 2007
            Don't know about that; but I have the 3.5 savvy ebook of ITCK right
            in front of me, and after the metamind on pg 50 is the "Blade
            Manifester" on the bottom of pg 51. The prestige class is described
            on pgs 51-52. Perhaps this is what you are calling the Slayer?
            Looking at the charcter in the advanced tab of the pcgen toolset, it
            properly lists pg 51 as the source under the marker there; and the
            Blade Manifester is listed as a class in the class list with the ITCK
            source. That's about as far as I know how to go.

            As to the Psionics, it is the 3.5 Psionics source; which I thought
            was pretty much the expanded Psionics handbook.

            If this question should go in a different group, I suppose I could
            change it. What is the address group I need to sign up for? (and why
            is this group here, if not to ask questions about the program?
            Primarily bug notification?) My version of pcgen is 5.12.1.

            Thanks for your help.

            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 11, 2007
              ~Responding from another computer, so I can't do the line breaks....

              The main group (PCGen) is for problems, Bug reports, FREQs...

              The Listhelpgroup is for customizing, making your own data sets and generally modifying anything to do with data sets.

              Experimental Group is where new ideas are discussed and change notifications take place.

              This is a problem with a data set or program, and therefore belongs here... another topic I've replied too though is regarding list stuff that more properly belongs in the other group...

              I'll have to wait and get home later tonight before I can delve any further... Can you upload a copy of the character in question so I can look at it... PCGen Yahoo group "I need help with" section.

              Thanks,

              ~Andrew Maitland
              PCGen Board of Directors

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 12, 2007
                Thanks. I joined the listhelp group. However, I am stupid enough that
                I can't seem to find the PCGen Yahoo group "I need help with" section.
                On this forum, or on that one. I checked the links, the files, and
                the database sections. Where do I go now?

> [...]
                > and they
                > should
                > doesn't
                > sources.
                > > >>

                > > > We don't have the Expanded Book of Psionics, we only have what
                is
                > > > allowed/given in the rsrd which has portions of those books...
                So
                > I need
                > > > to ask, are you using any CMP (Code Monkey Publishing) sources?
                > > >
                > > > I'll take a look at the sources we are offering...
                > > >
                > > > What I do need to know:
                > > > Which version of PCGen are you using?
                > > > Which version of JAVA
                > > > Which Gamemode are you using?

                > http://pcgen.sourceforge.net/07_autobuilds.php
                > > >>

                > > --
                > > ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
                > > ~ Admin Silverback, PCGen Board of Directors
                > > ~ Data Gibbon, Tracker Gibbon, Docs Lemur

              • Terry FitzSimons
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 12, 2007
                  The location is on Yahoo (or Y as some call it), right here
                  http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/ you want the first files
                  group 'Need Help With'.

                  The other web links:

                  ListFileHelp:
                  Experimental:
                  ListFileClass:
                  International:
                  Wiki:
                  http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                  PcGen:
                  https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/

                  Mods can we get someone to clean the trash in the files please.

                  On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:33:37 -0000, "jseturtle2" <jturtle@...>
                  wrote:

                  >Thanks. I joined the listhelp group. However, I am stupid enough that
                  >I can't seem to find the PCGen Yahoo group "I need help with" section.
                  >On this forum, or on that one. I checked the links, the files, and
                  >the database sections. Where do I go now?

                  --

                  Terry FitzSimons
                  FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)

                  Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon
                • James Dempsey
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 12, 2007

                    On 13/12/2007, Terry FitzSimons <fitzsimons@...> wrote:

                    > Mods can we get someone to clean the trash in the files please.

                    The spam has now been deleted.

                    James Dempsey
                    PCGen Code SB
                  • jseturtle2
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 13, 2007
                      Thanks for the help. I have now created a folder with the pcg file in
                      it. Ummmm.... I hope I am not considered spam...

                      Jon
                      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Terry FitzSimons <fitzsimons@...> wrote:

                      > The location is on Yahoo (or Y as some call it), right here
                      > http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/pcgen/files/ you want the first
                      files
                      > group 'Need Help With'.
                      >
                      > The other web links:
                      >
                      > ListFileHelp:
                      > Experimental:
                      > ListFileClass:
                      > International:
                      > Wiki:
                      > http://pcgen.wiki.sourceforge.net/
                      > PcGen:
                      > https://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/
                      >
                      > Mods can we get someone to clean the trash in the files please.
                      >
                      > On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:33:37 -0000, "jseturtle2" <jturtle@...>
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > >Thanks. I joined the listhelp group. However, I am stupid enough
                      that
                      > >I can't seem to find the PCGen Yahoo group "I need help with"
                      section.
                      > >On this forum, or on that one. I checked the links, the files, and
                      > >the database sections. Where do I go now?
                      > >
                      > --
                      >
                      > Terry FitzSimons
                      > FITZSIMONS@...(Small Letters Only)
                      >
                      > Data Lemur, Docs Gibbon

                    • Terry FitzSimons
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 13, 2007
                        Nope, just remember to remove it when your finished, so the Mods don't have
                        to come in and do it.

                        Terry

                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 13, 2007
                          I have your file and will take a look at it tonight.
                          Expect a reply Friday morning (California time)

                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 13, 2007
                            Ok, I tested the provided file, and then I made my own character... The
                            VFEATs appear to be firing, however, the DEFINES based off of the
                            MindBladeECL aren't firing correctly.

                            DEFINE:MindBladeECL|0
                            These all are based of off the above:
                            DEFINE:MindBladePlus|0
                            DEFINE:MindBladeEnhancement|0
                            DEFINE:PsychicStrike|0

                            BONUS:VAR|MindBladePlus|floor(MindBladeECL/4)
                            BONUS:VAR|MindBladeEnhancement|floor((MindBladeECL-2)/4)
                            BONUS:VAR|PsychicStrike|floor((MindBladeECL+1)/4)

                            Using the DEBUG Any of the above came back as 0 hence the SABs aren't
                            displaying which have those secondary Vars don't even show up since the
                            total is 0 or less.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 14, 2007
                              [Pcgen-trackers] [ pcgen-Bugs-1850583 ] Defined Vars based upon
                              another Var failing

                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 14, 2007
                                jseturtle2,

                                Problem has been found, working the fix in tonight. It will be in time
                                for the 5.13.6 release this weekend.

                                If you aren't planning on upgrading to 5.13.6 then the fix is this:

                                In the psionic hidden feats change all MindBladeECL to MndBladeECL and
                                do the same in the psionic_class file.

                                Problem: Old parser takes MindBladeECL and translates it to
                                min(dBladeECL) not desired behavior in this case.
                                Solution: Deprecate the old parser (requires vote); rename any variable
                                using 'min' or 'max' in it's name.

                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 14, 2007
                                  You the man! Thanks so much!! And Why wouldn't I upgrade, once it is
                                  out of beta? (I admit, I am a chicken with programs, 'cause I don't
                                  have the conflict managers, etc. I used to have with my Mac system
                                  since changing to the PC a few years ago...)

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 14, 2007
                                    I am going to post this in the other forum, but I wanted to note that
                                    making the change you suggested gave the MindBlade SAs up through the
                                    point that I changed class to Blade Manifester, and then no further.
                                    Perhaps I need to change something in the ITCK resource? It
                                    specifically notes in the book that Blade Manifesters continue to
                                    gain the Mind Blade SAs. Thus, a 5/4 SK/BM should have the SAs of lvl
                                    9 SK. I believe that would be a +2 MindBlade, +2 Psychic Strike, etc.

                                    Jon

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 14, 2007
                                      Then for that, you need to add to the Blade Manifester

                                      1 <tab> BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|CL

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 14, 2007
                                        Quick note: Are you sure it's level for level.. According to the code I
                                        just corrected, it skips two levels.

                                        1 KNOWN:0,1
                                        2 KNOWN:0,2 BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade Manifester")
                                        3 KNOWN:0,3 BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade Manifester")
                                        4 KNOWN:0,3,1
                                        5 KNOWN:0,3,2 BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade Manifester")
                                        6 KNOWN:0,3,3 BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade Manifester")
                                        7 KNOWN:0,3,3,1
                                        8 KNOWN:0,3,3,2 BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade Manifester")
                                        9 KNOWN:0,3,3,3 BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade Manifester")
                                        10 KNOWN:0,3,3,3,1 BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade Manifester")

                                        ---
                                        Though why the extra syntax, I don't know, it'd be easier just to have
                                        done BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|1 instead of the var...

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 15, 2007
                                          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "jseturtle2" <jturtle@...> wrote:

                                          > I think you are right, and I was wrong. Not sure how to read this;
                                          > This is the actual text:
                                          >
                                          > "Studuent of the Blade: At the levels shown on the class table, a
                                          Blade Manifester gains the class features of a soulknife's class
                                          table as if he had also gained a level of soulknife (aside -- they
                                          are at lvl 2,3, 5,6, etc., so I would have gained two special
                                          abilities thus far if I understand correctly). He does not, however,
                                          gain any other benefit. (aside: OK, here;s a part I don't understand)
                                          > The blade manifester always gains only the next higher level of
                                          special class features. For instance, a 5th levelsoulknife/2nd level
                                          blade manifester gains the special class features of a 6th level soul
                                          knife. If the character leaves the blade manifester class and returns
                                          to the straight soulknife class, his class features progression is
                                          > unchanged and requires some bookwork to keep track of. For instance
                                          a 5/4 SK/BM (abbrevs mine) decides to take his next level as straight
                                          soulknife, he would have the special class features of an 8th lvl
                                          soulknife even though his straight soulknife class level would be
                                          6th."

                                          > As I read that, I get the SAs of a 6th lvl SK at 2nd lvl MB, and
                                          the SAs of a 7th lvl SK at 3rd lvl BM; and nothing at 4th lvl BM.
                                          However, at the next level, I would gain that of an 8th lvl SK
                                          regardless of if I went back to SK (6th) or stayed BM (8th)? yes?

                                          Thus I should have Speed of Thought as a free feat (though I had
                                          already taken it, dangit!), and Psychic Strike +2d8 as a 5/4 SK/BM.
                                          At 5/5, I would add the +2 Mindblade.; and at 5/6 add Bladewind, and
                                          greater weapon focus (mind blade). Then nothing until 5/8.

                                          Does that explain the need for the extra syntax? Thanks again for the
                                          help. BTW, awaiting the moderator's approval for this question and a
                                          new one in the other forum.

                                          > Jon

                                          > > Quick note: Are you sure it's level for level.. According to the
                                          > code I
                                          > > just corrected, it skips two levels.
                                          > >
                                          > > 1 KNOWN:0,1
                                          > > 2 KNOWN:0,2 BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade
                                          > Manifester")
                                          > > 3 KNOWN:0,3 BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade
                                          > Manifester")
                                          > > 4 KNOWN:0,3,1
                                          > > 5 KNOWN:0,3,2 BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade
                                          > Manifester")
                                          > > 6 KNOWN:0,3,3 BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade
                                          > Manifester")
                                          > > 7 KNOWN:0,3,3,1
                                          > > 8 KNOWN:0,3,3,2 BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade
                                          > Manifester")
                                          > > 9 KNOWN:0,3,3,3 BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade
                                          > Manifester")
                                          > > 10 KNOWN:0,3,3,3,1 BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade
                                          > Manifester")
                                          > >
                                          > > ---
                                          > > Though why the extra syntax, I don't know, it'd be easier just to
                                          > have
                                          > > done BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|1 instead of the var...
                                          > > Andrew Maitland wrote:
                                          > > > Then for that, you need to add to the Blade Manifester
                                          > > >
                                          > > > 1 <tab> BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|CL

                                        • Eddy Anthony
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Dec 15, 2007
                                            Hi Jon, Andrew
                                            According to this text the LST is in error. Each instance of
                                            BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|var("CL=Blade Manifester") should be changed to:
                                            BONUS:VAR|MndBladeECL|1
                                            As for the rest of the paragraph I think the progression is right with
                                            this change I just question whether all the Soulknife's special abilities
                                            are covered by bonusing this one VAR.

                                            jseturtle2 scribed:

                                            ~ Eddy Anthony (MoSaT)
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Dec 15, 2007
                                              Hey Eddy,

                                              I fixed the syntax and will update it, however, I DO NOT have the actual
                                              source, so I don't know if that will work in this case...

                                              If Jon's explanation holds true, then we need a bit of an overhaul to
                                              the Blade Manifester Class AND the way the base Soulknife class Feats
                                              are popping up...

                                              I don't mind the correction but I want a clear understanding of what I
                                              should be changing.