Ubuntu 7.1 Not loading sources

  • narrowsoul
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 6, 2007
      I'm trying to run PCGen 5.12.1 on Ubuntu Linux, 7.10. I can't get any
      of the sources to load, even though I select what I believe to be the
      proper source locations.

      My entire process:

      Download PCGen. Unzip to desktop. Run PCGen.jar in Java 6.0
      environment. Settings>Preferences>Location, choose source locations,
      for example: data directory, /home/narrowsoul/Desktop/pcgen5121 (2)/data.

      Any suggestions? I'm sure Java is updated, but I may just be drawing
      the sources from the wrong area. If for whatever reason email is
      required, fragman001@...

      Thanks!

      Henry
    • James Dempsey
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 7, 2007
        Hi Henry,

        On 7/12/2007 6:26 PM narrowsoul wrote
        > I'm trying to run PCGen 5.12.1 on Ubuntu Linux, 7.10. I can't get any
        > of the sources to load, even though I select what I believe to be the
        > proper source locations.
        >
        > My entire process:
        >
        > Download PCGen. Unzip to desktop. Run PCGen.jar in Java 6.0
        > environment. Settings>Preferences>Location, choose source locations,
        > for example: data directory, /home/narrowsoul/Desktop/pcgen5121 (2)/data.
        >
        > Any suggestions? I'm sure Java is updated, but I may just be drawing
        > the sources from the wrong area. If for whatever reason email is
        > required, fragman001@...

        After you have selected the source location, quit pcgen and start again.
        This should rescan the sources. Also, look at the console/command line
        for any error messages on startup. These could provide some information
        about what is going wrong. Feel free to post these to assist us in
        tracking down the issue.

        One thing to try is to put pcgen in a folder without brackets in the
        name - it is possible that these are causing issues. Lastly, could you
        send the output of a java -version command please?

        James Dempsey
        PCGen Code SB
      • Susan Dittmar
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 2007
          > for example: data directory, /home/narrowsoul/Desktop/pcgen5121 (2)/data.

          Just a guess:
          This path name contains three potential problems: the space and the parenthesis.
          'Save' path names only contain A-Z, a-z, 0-9, . and _

          You could try unpacking pcgen to another place, instead of the desktop (as at
          least two pcgens reside there already, which caused this path name), and test
          there again.

          Hope this helps,

          Susan