LEVELABILITY in Kits - possible DOC BUG

  • Thomas Clegg
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 15, 2007
      Something that seems to be missing from the LEVELABILITY entry.

      If you use a SUBCLASS for the Kit to provide, you have to be sure to
      use just the regular CLASS name, not the SUBCLASS name for the
      LEVELABILITY tag entry. I've constantly gotten errors when using the
      SUBCLASS name in it.

      for ex.

      CLASS:Strong SUBCLASS:Strong Hero LEVEL:3
      LEVELABILITY:Strong=1 ABILITY:PROMPT:TALENT(TYPE.StrongTalent)
      |CHOICE:Melee Smash
      LEVELABILITY:Strong Hero=3 ABILITY:PROMPT:TALENT
      (TYPE.StrongTalent)|CHOICE:Improved Melee Smash

      The Strong=1 entry is correct, but the Strong Hero=3 entry produces a
      class not found error..

      Thomas
    • Eric C. Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 2007
        Hi Thomas!

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clegg" <TN_Clegg@...> wrote:

        > Something that seems to be missing from the LEVELABILITY entry.
        >
        > If you use a SUBCLASS for the Kit to provide, you have to be sure to
        > use just the regular CLASS name, not the SUBCLASS name for the
        > LEVELABILITY tag entry. I've constantly gotten errors when using the
        > SUBCLASS name in it.
        >
        > for ex.
        >
        > CLASS:Strong SUBCLASS:Strong Hero LEVEL:3
        > LEVELABILITY:Strong=1 ABILITY:PROMPT:TALENT(TYPE.StrongTalent)
        > |CHOICE:Melee Smash
        > LEVELABILITY:Strong Hero=3 ABILITY:PROMPT:TALENT
        > (TYPE.StrongTalent)|CHOICE:Improved Melee Smash
        >
        > The Strong=1 entry is correct, but the Strong Hero=3 entry produces a
        > class not found error..

        The docs state that you use the Class name, so technically, the tags works as described.

        The question is, do we want it to take a SubClass name as well? If so, that is a different
        issue . . .

        I would suggest that we add a specific statement that the tag doesn't take a subclass
        name, but there are several other tags that have the same issue. If we make the change
        here, do we also need to make the change on the other tags . . .?

        Eric
      • Thomas Clegg
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 15, 2007
          Hi Eric!

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Eric C. Smith" <maredudd@...> wrote:

          > Hi Thomas!
          >
          > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clegg" <TN_Clegg@> wrote:
          <snip>
          > > for ex.
          > >
          > > CLASS:Strong SUBCLASS:Strong Hero LEVEL:3
          > > LEVELABILITY:Strong=1 ABILITY:PROMPT:TALENT
          (TYPE.StrongTalent)
          > > |CHOICE:Melee Smash
          > > LEVELABILITY:Strong Hero=3 ABILITY:PROMPT:TALENT
          > > (TYPE.StrongTalent)|CHOICE:Improved Melee Smash
          >
          > The docs state that you use the Class name, so technically, the
          tags works as described.

          > The question is, do we want it to take a SubClass name as well? If
          so, that is a different
          > issue . . .
          >
          > I would suggest that we add a specific statement that the tag
          doesn't take a subclass
          > name, but there are several other tags that have the same issue.
          If we make the change
          > here, do we also need to make the change on the other tags . . .?
          >
          > Eric

          I think the specific statement should be enough. However, I think
          I've run into a bug in any case:

          I tried both of the following:
          SUBCLASS:Strong Hero<tab>LEVEL:3 (produces an error saying SUBCLASS
          tag not recognized)
          CLASS:Fast<tab>LEVEL:3<tab>SUBCLASS:Strong Hero (give the character
          the kit is applied to the Strong Ordinary subclass instead)

          seems to be an issue there with SUBCLASS itself.

          Also, this: LEVELABILITY:Strong=1<tab>ABILITY:PROMPT:TALENT
          (TYPE.StrongTalent)|CHOICE:Melee Smash

          produces this: TALENT(Melee Smash) on the Abilities Tab and no entry
          on the Talents SubTab

          The msrd files currently just bonus the (Strong Talent) pool
          currently and doesn't use a feat to add the talent. Are we missing a
          way to have a kit choose a specific ability without displaying a
          chooser?

          Thomas
        • Thomas Clegg
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 20, 2007
            <bump> Anything?

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 20, 2007
              Hi Thomas,

              Flagging for people who might know....
              This will likely be a FREQ.

              Thomas Clegg wrote:
              > <bump> Anything?
              >
              > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clegg" <TN_Clegg@...> wrote:
              >
              >> Hi Eric!
              >>
              >> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Eric C. Smith" <maredudd@> wrote:
              >>
              >>> Hi Thomas!
              >>>
              >>> --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Clegg" <TN_Clegg@> wrote:
              >>>
              >> <snip>

              >> (TYPE.StrongTalent)

              >>> The docs state that you use the Class name, so technically, the
              >>>
              >> tags works as described.
              >>
              >>> The question is, do we want it to take a SubClass name as well?
              >>>
              > If
              >
              >> so, that is a different
              >>
              >>> issue . . .
              >>>
              >>> I would suggest that we add a specific statement that the tag
              >>>
              >> doesn't take a subclass
              >>
              >>> name, but there are several other tags that have the same issue.
              >>>
              >> If we make the change
              >>
              >>> here, do we also need to make the change on the other tags . . .?
              >>>
              >>> Eric
              >>>

              >> I think the specific statement should be enough. However, I think
              >> I've run into a bug in any case:
              >>
              >> I tried both of the following:
              >> SUBCLASS:Strong Hero<tab>LEVEL:3 (produces an error saying SUBCLASS
              >> tag not recognized)
              >> CLASS:Fast<tab>LEVEL:3<tab>SUBCLASS:Strong Hero (give the character
              >> the kit is applied to the Strong Ordinary subclass instead)
              >>
              >> seems to be an issue there with SUBCLASS itself.
              >>
              >> Also, this: LEVELABILITY:Strong=1<tab>ABILITY:PROMPT:TALENT
              >> (TYPE.StrongTalent)|CHOICE:Melee Smash
              >>
              >> produces this: TALENT(Melee Smash) on the Abilities Tab and no
              >>
              > entry
              >
              >> on the Talents SubTab
              >>
              >> The msrd files currently just bonus the (Strong Talent) pool
              >> currently and doesn't use a feat to add the talent. Are we missing

              >> way to have a kit choose a specific ability without displaying a
              >> chooser?
              >>
              >> Thomas

              ~ Andrew Maitland (LegacyKing)
              "Quick-Silverback Tracker Monkey"