Re: [pcgen] Re: problem saving custom class info

  • James Dempsey
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
      Hi Casey,

      Looks like you have your file system secured. PCGen needs to write to
      the gameModes\35e\pointbuymethods.lst file (folder will vary depending
      on the game mode you are using) as well as the data\customsources
      folder.

      James Dempsey
      PCGen Code SB

    • Casey
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
        thats pretty much the same conclusion i came to.. do you know how to
        get the system to allow pcgen access to the files? i have admin
        access, and i've tried giving admin rights to the pcgen jar file, but
        the system doesnt see it as an executable to be able to give that kind
        of access to..

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
          Hi Casey,

          That I can't help you with sorry - never played with Vista. The exe
          running will be Java though, and perhaps you can set the user to run
          as in the shortcut.

          Can anyone else that knows about Vista help out here?

          Cheers,
          James.

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
            Only thing I know is to turn off the UAC all together. You can find instructions here for all accounts on a computer, one user, or through the registry. Thank you Microsoft for protecting me from myself I guess...... Hope this helps.

            On 31/10/2007, Casey <galliard6@yahoo. com> wrote:

            > thats pretty much the same conclusion i came to.. do you know how to

            > get the system to allow pcgen access to the files? i have admin

            > access, and i've tried giving admin rights to the pcgen jar file, but

            > the system doesnt see it as an executable to be able to give that kind

            > of access to..

            > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups. com, "James Dempsey" <jdempsey@.. .> wrote:

            > > Hi Casey,

            > > Looks like you have your file system secured. PCGen needs to write to

            > > the gameModes\35e\ pointbuymethods. lst file (folder will vary depending

            > > on the game mode you are using) as well as the data\customsources

            > > folder.

            > > --

            > > Cheers,

            > > James Dempsey

            > > PCGen Code SB

            > runing

            > anything i put

            > should see

            > It is

            > saved.

            > > > Alright.. i went to the pcgen main window, turned on debug and opened

            > > > the console, and cleared it out. i then opened the list editor

            > > > selected SA, and put 'test' w/o quotes in the field and hit the >

            > > > button to input it, then saved the file. I then went back to the

            > > > debug console, and this is what it output...

            > gmgen.pluginmgr. messages. StateChangedMess age[source= pcgen.gui. PCGen_Frame1[ frame0,-8, -8,1456x886, invalid,layout= java.awt. BorderLayout, title=PCGen

            > > > v. 5.12.1 - 35e

            > Campaign,resizable, maximized, defaultCloseOper ation=DO_ NOTHING_ON_ CLOSE,rootPane= javax.swing. JRootPane[ ,8,28,1440x850, invalid,layout= javax.swing. JRootPane$ RootLayout, alignmentX= 0.0,alignmentY= 0.0,border= ,flags=16777673, maximumSize= ,minimumSize= ,preferredSize= ],rootPaneChecki ngEnabled= true]]

            > > > Could not get a writer to write to C:\Program Files

            > > > (x86)\PCGen\ PCGen5121\ system\gameModes \35e\pointbuymet hods.lst

            > > > This means that your custom files won't be written. Please check

            > the path.

            > > > java.io.FileNotFoun dException: C:\Program Files

            > > > (x86)\PCGen\ PCGen5121\ system\gameModes \35e\pointbuymet hods.lst (Access

            > gmgen.pluginmgr. messages. StateChangedMess age[source= pcgen.gui. PCGen_Frame1[ frame0,-8, -8,1456x886, invalid,layout= java.awt. BorderLayout, title=PCGen

            > > > v. 5.12.1 - 35e

            > Campaign,resizable, maximized, defaultCloseOper ation=DO_ NOTHING_ON_ CLOSE,rootPane= javax.swing. JRootPane[ ,8,28,1440x850, invalid,layout= javax.swing. JRootPane$ RootLayout, alignmentX= 0.0,alignmentY= 0.0,border= ,flags=16777673, maximumSize= ,minimumSize= ,preferredSize= ],rootPaneChecki ngEnabled= true]]

            > > > and the file changes didnt save.

            <!--

            #ygrp-mkp{
            #ygrp-mkp hr{
            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
            #ygrp-mkp #hd{
            #ygrp-mkp #ads{
            margin-bottom:10px;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad{
            padding:0 0;}
            #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
            color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
            font-family:Arial;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
            margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
            -->

            <!--

            #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
            #ygrp-text{
            font-family:Georgia;
            }
            #ygrp-text p{
            margin:0 0 1em 0;}
            #ygrp-tpmsgs{
            font-family:Arial;
            clear:both;}
            #ygrp-vitnav{
            #ygrp-vitnav a{
            padding:0 1px;}
            #ygrp-actbar{
            #ygrp-actbar .left{
            float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
            .bld{font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-grft{
            #ygrp-ft{
            padding:5px 0;
            }
            #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
            padding-bottom:10px;}

            #ygrp-vital{
            #ygrp-vital #vithd{
            #ygrp-vital ul{
            padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
            #ygrp-vital ul li{
            }
            #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
            #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
            font-weight:bold;}
            #ygrp-vital a{
            text-decoration:none;}

            #ygrp-vital a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}

            #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
            color:#999;font-size:77%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
            padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
            #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
            text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
            #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
            padding:8px 0;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
            text-decoration:none;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
            text-decoration:underline;}
            #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
            margin:0;}
            o{font-size:0;}
            .MsoNormal{
            margin:0 0 0 0;}
            #ygrp-text tt{
            font-size:120%;}
            blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
            .replbq{margin:4;}
            -->

          • Casey
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
              ok, i tried giving admin privilages to java.exe and javaw.exe in
              java\jrexxx\bin, and tried it again.. still no luck..

              but that was beforei so this post on UAC.. so how does one turn off
              UAC? and is there an alternate method to it, without turning off UAC?

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
                Hi Casey,

                Some simple possibilities might be to create the gameModes\35e\
                pointbuymethods. lst file and give all users access to write to it.
                Next create a customdata folder under your documents folder (rather
                than program files). In preferences, set PCGen to use this folder and
                restart pcgen. Now try and create a class again.

                If that solves the problem we will have to look at moving the
                pointbuymethods file out into the customdata folder in order to make
                this process a bit easier.

                Cheers,
                James.

                On 31/10/2007, Casey <galliard6@...> wrote:
                > ok, i tried giving admin privilages to java.exe and javaw.exe in
                > java\jrexxx\bin, and tried it again.. still no luck..
                >
                > but that was beforei so this post on UAC.. so how does one turn off
                > UAC? and is there an alternate method to it, without turning off UAC?
                >
                > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Paul <morlaki@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Only thing I know is to turn off the UAC all together. You can find
                > instructions here for all accounts on a computer, one user, or through
                > the registry. Thank you Microsoft for protecting me from myself I
                > guess...... Hope this helps.

              • Casey
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 30, 2007
                  Woo!.. works now.. moved the customdata file to
                  documents\pcgen\customdata and pointed pcgen at it, and also gave full
                  read/write to pointbuymethods.lst, and all the stuff seems to work
                  now.. i'll hafta see if it works fully once i get everything typed in,
                  but it looks like it will.. thanks ^^