Re: [pcgen] Forgotten Realms info, and other stuff

  • David R. Bender
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
      If you do not have a copy of PCGen 2.8 on your hard drive or backups,
      you are out of luck, and will have to recreate the character from
      scratch, and also will have to input any Forgotten Realms stuff by hand.

      Around PCGen V3 (I think), all the non OGC content was removed at WotC
      request. Code Monkey Publishing was given license to offer WotC closed
      content datasets. November 2006 WotC did not renew CMP 's license, and
      currently no one has a license to offer WotC closed content datasets.

      Please do NOT ask for someone to send you the datasets, as a Moderator,
      I will get quite upset. If you would like help in coding a feat, or
      skill, or class or <what ever> ask your question in PCGenListFileHelp
      Yahoo group and the data monkeys will help you.

      Also (and this includes *everyone*), this is not a discussion that we
      need to go through, yet again, so lets not start this debate/discussion
      again, thanks!

      -- David
      Papa-DRB
      Grognard <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grognard>

      jseturtle2 wrote:
      > I just began playing D&D again after about 4 years. I redownloaded
      > PCGen, and it is now version 5.12 vs my old 2.8. There appears to be no
      > backwards compatibility; that is, I can't open my old files. Also, the
      > Forgotten Realms datasets are not included, and when I went to Code
      > Monkey, I could not find them.
      >
      > Finally, there appears to have been a major revamp of Psionics that I
      > don't find in my copies of either Psionics HB or expanded PHB. Where
      > can I find those changes (talents not there anymore, powers shifted as
      > to which level, no Psicrystal for the Psychic Warrior without the new
      > feat Psicrystal Affinity, etc.)
      >
      > In the newer version of PCGen, it appears that I have to take my mount
      > as a follower; how do I do the distribution of gear?
      >
      > Sorry to be so dense, but I find it confusing. Thank you for your great
      > product, and any help you can give.
    • Tir Gwaith
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
        On 10/29/07, David R. Bender <Papa-DRB@...> wrote:
        > If you do not have a copy of PCGen 2.8 on your hard drive or backups,
        > you are out of luck, and will have to recreate the character from
        > scratch, and also will have to input any Forgotten Realms stuff by hand.
        >
        > Around PCGen V3 (I think), all the non OGC content was removed at WotC
        > request. Code Monkey Publishing was given license to offer WotC closed
        > content datasets. November 2006 WotC did not renew CMP 's license, and
        > currently no one has a license to offer WotC closed content datasets.

        Yep. V3.0 was SRD only from WotC. I don't remember a 2.8. Last
        version I remember before 3.0 was 2.7.3. I don't recall what number
        we released @ GenCon that year, but it didn't include anything but the
        SRD. IIRC 3.0 was our completely OGL complaint stable, and 4.0
        shortly there after was actually complaint with the d20stl at the
        time.

        We've only supported back a few stables for back-wards compatibility.
        If we stayed compatible with 6 years ago, we'd have a harder time
        improving and be stuck with some bad things.

        PCGen LST Chimp
      • jseturtle2
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
          Sorry. Didn't mean to possibly start a non-productive argument. I
          just knew when I searched the forum here, I found info for going to
          Code Monkey for the non-free licencing stuff. And it didn't have it.
          And I don't use stuff illegally. I have always paid shareware fees,
          etc. if I was going to use the program more than once in a blue moon.
          I even use Walmart rather than limewire or bearshare for music.
          Thanks for the information, though.

          --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "David R. Bender" <Papa-DRB@...> wrote:

          > If you do not have a copy of PCGen 2.8 on your hard drive or
          backups,
          > you are out of luck, and will have to recreate the character from
          > scratch, and also will have to input any Forgotten Realms stuff by
          hand.

          > Around PCGen V3 (I think), all the non OGC content was removed at
          WotC
          > request. Code Monkey Publishing was given license to offer WotC
          closed
          > content datasets. November 2006 WotC did not renew CMP 's license,
          and
          > currently no one has a license to offer WotC closed content
          datasets.

          > Please do NOT ask for someone to send you the datasets, as a
          Moderator,
          > I will get quite upset. If you would like help in coding a feat, or
          > skill, or class or <what ever> ask your question in
          PCGenListFileHelp
          > Yahoo group and the data monkeys will help you.
          >
          > Also (and this includes *everyone*), this is not a discussion that
          we
          > need to go through, yet again, so lets not start this
          debate/discussion
          > again, thanks!
          >
          > -- David
          > Papa-DRB
          > Grognard <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grognard>
          >

          > jseturtle2 wrote:
          > > I just began playing D&D again after about 4 years. I
          redownloaded
          > > PCGen, and it is now version 5.12 vs my old 2.8. There appears to
          be no
          > > backwards compatibility; that is, I can't open my old files.
          Also, the
          > > Forgotten Realms datasets are not included, and when I went to
          Code
          > > Monkey, I could not find them.
          > >
          > > Finally, there appears to have been a major revamp of Psionics
          that I
          > > don't find in my copies of either Psionics HB or expanded PHB.
          Where
          > > can I find those changes (talents not there anymore, powers
          shifted as
          > > to which level, no Psicrystal for the Psychic Warrior without the
          new
          > > feat Psicrystal Affinity, etc.)
          > >
          > > In the newer version of PCGen, it appears that I have to take my
          mount
          > > as a follower; how do I do the distribution of gear?
          > >
          > > Sorry to be so dense, but I find it confusing. Thank you for your
          great
          > > product, and any help you can give.

        • Eric C Smith
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
            Hi jseturtl2!

            You wrote:
            > Sorry. Didn't mean to possibly start a non-productive argument. I
            > just knew when I searched the forum here, I found info for going to
            > Code Monkey for the non-free licencing stuff.

            Not a problem! All questions are welcome! :-)

            Eric Smith
          • David R. Bender
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
              Absolutely! You didn't start an argument... I just didn't want others to
              start the (old) argument,