Forgotten Realms info, and other stuff

  • jseturtle2
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
      I just began playing D&D again after about 4 years. I redownloaded
      PCGen, and it is now version 5.12 vs my old 2.8. There appears to be no
      backwards compatibility; that is, I can't open my old files. Also, the
      Forgotten Realms datasets are not included, and when I went to Code
      Monkey, I could not find them.

      Finally, there appears to have been a major revamp of Psionics that I
      don't find in my copies of either Psionics HB or expanded PHB. Where
      can I find those changes (talents not there anymore, powers shifted as
      to which level, no Psicrystal for the Psychic Warrior without the new
      feat Psicrystal Affinity, etc.)

      In the newer version of PCGen, it appears that I have to take my mount
      as a follower; how do I do the distribution of gear?

      Sorry to be so dense, but I find it confusing. Thank you for your great
      product, and any help you can give.
    • Eric C Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
        Hi jseturtle2!

        You2 wrote:
        > I just began playing D&D again after about 4 years. I redownloaded
        > PCGen, and it is now version 5.12 vs my old 2.8. There appears to
        > be no
        > backwards compatibility; that is, I can't open my old files. Also, the
        > Forgotten Realms datasets are not included, and when I went to Code
        > Monkey, I could not find them.
        Most Wizards of the Coast material is CLosed Content and PCGen is not
        allowed to distribute it, and unfortunately, the Forgotten Realms
        material falls within that category.

        As to Code Monkey Productions, you can visit their site for any
        additional details, but their license to distribute WotC material was
        not renewed last year, so at this point, the only way to get FR
        material into PCGen is to code up the sets yourself. You can visit
        the PCGenListFIleHelp Yahoo!Group to get hints and tips as well as
        any specific questions on how to implement specific rules in the LST
        code.
        > Finally, there appears to have been a major revamp of Psionics that I
        > don't find in my copies of either Psionics HB or expanded PHB. Where
        > can I find those changes (talents not there anymore, powers shifted as
        > to which level, no Psicrystal for the Psychic Warrior without the new
        > feat Psicrystal Affinity, etc.)
        Hmmm, I don't do psionics so I can't answer this question . . . :-(
        > In the newer version of PCGen, it appears that I have to take my mount
        > as a follower; how do I do the distribution of gear?
        Once you've taken your mount as a follower, which will include a
        separate character sheet, you can add any gear carried by your mount
        on your mounts character sheet. Of course, if you are placing any
        personal item on your horse that you have to equip, on your
        character, in order for its effect to be taken into account, you will
        not be able to . . .

        Eric Smith
        Doc 2nd, PL 2nd, Data Tamarin, OGL Lemur
      • David R. Bender
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
          If you do not have a copy of PCGen 2.8 on your hard drive or backups,
          you are out of luck, and will have to recreate the character from
          scratch, and also will have to input any Forgotten Realms stuff by hand.

          Around PCGen V3 (I think), all the non OGC content was removed at WotC
          request. Code Monkey Publishing was given license to offer WotC closed
          content datasets. November 2006 WotC did not renew CMP 's license, and
          currently no one has a license to offer WotC closed content datasets.

          Please do NOT ask for someone to send you the datasets, as a Moderator,
          I will get quite upset. If you would like help in coding a feat, or
          skill, or class or <what ever> ask your question in PCGenListFileHelp
          Yahoo group and the data monkeys will help you.

          Also (and this includes *everyone*), this is not a discussion that we
          need to go through, yet again, so lets not start this debate/discussion
          again, thanks!

          -- David
          Papa-DRB
          Grognard <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grognard>

          jseturtle2 wrote:
          > I just began playing D&D again after about 4 years. I redownloaded
          > PCGen, and it is now version 5.12 vs my old 2.8. There appears to be no
          > backwards compatibility; that is, I can't open my old files. Also, the
          > Forgotten Realms datasets are not included, and when I went to Code
          > Monkey, I could not find them.
          >
          > Finally, there appears to have been a major revamp of Psionics that I
          > don't find in my copies of either Psionics HB or expanded PHB. Where
          > can I find those changes (talents not there anymore, powers shifted as
          > to which level, no Psicrystal for the Psychic Warrior without the new
          > feat Psicrystal Affinity, etc.)
          >
          > In the newer version of PCGen, it appears that I have to take my mount
          > as a follower; how do I do the distribution of gear?
          >
          > Sorry to be so dense, but I find it confusing. Thank you for your great
          > product, and any help you can give.
        • Tir Gwaith
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
            On 10/29/07, David R. Bender <Papa-DRB@...> wrote:
            > If you do not have a copy of PCGen 2.8 on your hard drive or backups,
            > you are out of luck, and will have to recreate the character from
            > scratch, and also will have to input any Forgotten Realms stuff by hand.
            >
            > Around PCGen V3 (I think), all the non OGC content was removed at WotC
            > request. Code Monkey Publishing was given license to offer WotC closed
            > content datasets. November 2006 WotC did not renew CMP 's license, and
            > currently no one has a license to offer WotC closed content datasets.

            Yep. V3.0 was SRD only from WotC. I don't remember a 2.8. Last
            version I remember before 3.0 was 2.7.3. I don't recall what number
            we released @ GenCon that year, but it didn't include anything but the
            SRD. IIRC 3.0 was our completely OGL complaint stable, and 4.0
            shortly there after was actually complaint with the d20stl at the
            time.

            We've only supported back a few stables for back-wards compatibility.
            If we stayed compatible with 6 years ago, we'd have a harder time
            improving and be stuck with some bad things.

            PCGen LST Chimp
          • jseturtle2
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
              Sorry. Didn't mean to possibly start a non-productive argument. I
              just knew when I searched the forum here, I found info for going to
              Code Monkey for the non-free licencing stuff. And it didn't have it.
              And I don't use stuff illegally. I have always paid shareware fees,
              etc. if I was going to use the program more than once in a blue moon.
              I even use Walmart rather than limewire or bearshare for music.
              Thanks for the information, though.

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
                Hi jseturtl2!

                You wrote:
                > Sorry. Didn't mean to possibly start a non-productive argument. I
                > just knew when I searched the forum here, I found info for going to
                > Code Monkey for the non-free licencing stuff.

                Not a problem! All questions are welcome! :-)

                Eric Smith
              • David R. Bender
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 29, 2007
                  Absolutely! You didn't start an argument... I just didn't want others to
                  start the (old) argument,