[Mac user] [Eddy] [Tod Milam] Re: PCGen Slowness

  • joefrazierjr
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 10, 2007
      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gwaihirwindlord" <erickaufmann@...> wrote:

      > Hey,
      > I hate to res a post like this, but I'd like to know how to do this,
      > increase memory allocation, on a PC version, I'm running 5.12.1 on a
      > PC with XP.
      >
      > Thanks
      > Gwaihir

      Assuming the default install path, this resides in pcgen.bat located in:
      C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGenxxxx\

      where xxxx is replaced by the version you are running. If you are
      using the lastest stable release version, this would be C:\Program
      Files\PCGen\PCGen5121\pcgen.bat.

      You will see this line at the bottom: java -Dswing.aatext=true
      -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar

      Change the "-Xms128m" to -Xms256m" or whatever, likewise, you can
      change the second one to a higher value also to increase the max
      memory. Basically, you are telling java that it can have that much
      memory as a bare minimum, so make sure you actually will have that
      much free. Don't do this if you only have 256 or 512 total RAM in
      your machine or things will start going to the swap file on disk and
      that drastically lowers the performance. Also, you may want to close
      any unneeded applications, especially if they take a lot of memory.

      I have noticed that on my machine (WinXP) that firefox seems to leak
      memory and the longer I leave it open, the more memory it will take.
      Additionally, many Antivirus programs have a hugh effect on speed of
      the Java apps I use. In my case, Eclipse( a code editor) takes 2-3
      minutes to open with virus scan running, and 15 or so seconds with it
      disabled. Although, PCGen seems to run quite a bit faster and I
      expect that has to do more with the dynamic way Eclipse works that
      anything ("everything" is a plugin which slow things down)