[Mac user] [Eddy] [Tod Milam] Re: PCGen Slowness

  • gwaihirwindlord
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 10, 2007
      Hey,
      I hate to res a post like this, but I'd like to know how to do this,
      increase memory allocation, on a PC version, I'm running 5.12.1 on a
      PC with XP.

      Thanks
      Gwaihir

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "Eric C. Smith" <maredudd@...> wrote:

      > > I'm not sure how you increase the memory for PCGen on that version of
      > > Mac OS, anyone else know? (Hoping one of our Mac team members replies
      > > here)
      > >

      > You increase the memory allotment by editing the info.plist file,
      which can be found in the
      > 'Contents' folder inside of the PCGen 5.10.1 app package.
      >
      > 1) Right-click, or commend-click, on the PCGen app and select 'Show
      Package Contents'.
      > 2) Double click on the 'Contents' folder. (If in Columns view,
      single click on the Contents
      > folder.)
      > 3) Right-click, or command-click, on 'info.plist', selecting 'Open
      with' and then the
      > application you wish to use t edit the file. Text Editor will work
      but if you have Property
      > List Editor, things will work out better.
      > 4) Look for the following text: -Xms128m -Xmx256m
      > 4.1) If you have 512MB of ram, you can change the text to the
      following: -Xms256m -
      > Xmx512m
      > 4.2) If you have 1GB of ram, you can change the text to the
      following: -Xms512m -
      > Xmx1024m
      > 5) Save the file and relaunch PCGen.
      >
      > Eric

    • joefrazierjr
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 10, 2007
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "gwaihirwindlord" <erickaufmann@...> wrote:

        > Hey,
        > I hate to res a post like this, but I'd like to know how to do this,
        > increase memory allocation, on a PC version, I'm running 5.12.1 on a
        > PC with XP.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Gwaihir

        Assuming the default install path, this resides in pcgen.bat located in:
        C:\Program Files\PCGen\PCGenxxxx\

        where xxxx is replaced by the version you are running. If you are
        using the lastest stable release version, this would be C:\Program
        Files\PCGen\PCGen5121\pcgen.bat.

        You will see this line at the bottom: java -Dswing.aatext=true
        -Xms128m -Xmx256m -jar pcgen.jar

        Change the "-Xms128m" to -Xms256m" or whatever, likewise, you can
        change the second one to a higher value also to increase the max
        memory. Basically, you are telling java that it can have that much
        memory as a bare minimum, so make sure you actually will have that
        much free. Don't do this if you only have 256 or 512 total RAM in
        your machine or things will start going to the swap file on disk and
        that drastically lowers the performance. Also, you may want to close
        any unneeded applications, especially if they take a lot of memory.

        I have noticed that on my machine (WinXP) that firefox seems to leak
        memory and the longer I leave it open, the more memory it will take.
        Additionally, many Antivirus programs have a hugh effect on speed of
        the Java apps I use. In my case, Eclipse( a code editor) takes 2-3
        minutes to open with virus scan running, and 15 or so seconds with it
        disabled. Although, PCGen seems to run quite a bit faster and I
        expect that has to do more with the dynamic way Eclipse works that
        anything ("everything" is a plugin which slow things down)