Re: [BUG] GMGen NullpointerException in EncounterTab when pressing Begin Combat

  • kevin_fernandes01453
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 8, 2007
      Well, this problem is really eluding me. And its happening for
      several people so it may be more than environmental.

      After running tests on Windows 2000, using PCGen 5.12.1 and 5.13.2,
      and Java 1.5.12 and 1.6.03 and I have yet to repeat the problem.

      Can we try a couple of more things? Maybe someone else has some other
      ideas too.

      Using 5.12.1, if you try to generate an encounter with an Ape, do you
      get the same error? With 5.12.1 you should get an error message when
      you try to generate an Ape (a bug that is fixed in 5.13.2).
      Also, try turning on the debug mode from the debug menu, and try the
      same things again with the debug console open to see if more
      information is produced.

      Sorry I can't be more helpful, hopefully we can figure out exactly
      what is happening.
      Kevin F.
      (Code Lemur)

      --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "tartsigam" <tartsigam@...> wrote:

      > Hi Kevin,
      >
      > I have my portable not at hand, but I can validate the information
      > will gave.
      > The Aboleth(Psionic) doesn't make any problem. I'm also working with
      > the 3.5 set (RSRD complete).
      > The question for HP doesn't come.
      >
      > I hope I can can give you more information tomorrow. The I will try
      > dirrerent groups of monsters in an encounter and I will try to
      > recompile the class to get some more information (System.out.print
      > should work fine)
      >
      > tartsigam
      >
      > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Fernandes <drkstorm@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Will,
      > > Thanks for the report.
      > >
      > > I am currently unable to repeat this with the creatures you
      > mentioned or
      > > any other for that matter.
      > > I also am using Windows XP and I have tried several version of Java
      > with
      > > no bad effects yet. I have
      > > tried both PC Gen 5.12.1 and the current 5.13.2. I will try this
      on a
      > > Win 2K box tomorrow,
      > > I do not have access to Vista unfortunately.
      > >
      > > Was the version of Java you reported from the PCGen About dialog?
      > > Were the creatures you selected the only creatures in the list before
      > > combat or were there multiple types creatures
      > > (or several of the same)?
      > > When the Begin Combat button was selected, were you prompted for any
      > > information (like hit points) before the NPE?
      > >
      > > Sorry for all the questions, hopefully I or someone else on the team
      > can
      > > repeat this soon.
      > >
      > > Kevin F.
      > > (Code Lemur)
      > >
      > > will9k wrote:
      > > > Sir,
      > > >
      > > > I am new to the GEGen progarm, but I have also encounted the same
      > > > problem as the original poster. I am getting a
      > > >
      > > > Java.lang.NullPointerException
      > > > at plugin.encounter.EncounterPlugin.handleMonster(Unknown
      Source)

      > > > It then cascades into a many other addational errors that look
      to be
      > > > caused by this one.
      > > >
      > > > You asked the prior poster for some addational data, so I have
      > > > included my data in the hopes that you might make a suggestion
      on how
      > > > to correct this.
      > > >
      > > > Game Mode/Campaign is 3.5e
      > > > Dataset is the RSRD
      > > > I have tried to set up several differnt encounters to get a feel
      for
      > > > what causes this.
      > > >
      > > > I have found the problem pop up with the folloing creatures
      > > >
      > > > Dire Animal (Dire Rat)
      > > > Swarm (Rat)
      > > > Treant
      > > > Skeleton (Human Warrior)
      > > >

      > > > Yet others encounters like Winter Wolf, Orc, and Aboleth (Psionic)
      > > > work just fine.
      > > >
      > > > To add a bit more madness to this, I also have a Windows Vista 64
      > > > machine, and I have no trouble with GMGen on that. (Of course my
      > > > Laptop has the old XP, and there is just no way to bring my huge
      > > > Desktop with Vista on it to the game...)
      > > >
      > > > My Java is bukld 1.6.0_3-b05
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for your help,
      > > > Will Pierce
      > > >

      > > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "kevin_fernandes01453" <drkstorm@>

      > > > but

      > > > happens?

      > > > the

      > > > Source)

      > > > (Unknown

      > > > Source)

      > > > (which

      > > > same.

    • tartsigam
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007
        ok, heres the "Ape"-combat:
        I get a popup with the message "Can not equip Bite (Natural/Secondary)
        to". The window seems to be too small :-)
        In the debug-console I get this:

        --addEB-- IdPath:0.1.2 Parent:0.1 Location:null eqName:Bite
        (Natural/Secondary) eSet:Default Set
        java.lang.NullPointerException
        at pcgen.core.PlayerCharacter.setCalcEquipmentList(Unknown Source)
        at pcgen.core.PlayerCharacter.setCalcEquipmentList(Unknown Source)
        at plugin.encounter.EncounterPlugin.handleEquipment(Unknown Source)
        at plugin.encounter.EncounterPlugin.handleTransferToTracker(Unknown
        Source)
        at plugin.encounter.EncounterPlugin.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)

        the rest of the call-stack is javax.swing and java.awt

        I don't know if this is helpful, but after the nullpointer comes that
        (the message-popup I suppose):

        gmgen.pluginmgr.messages.StateChangedMessage[source=pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1[frame0,289,20,925x734,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,title=PCGen
        v. 5.12.1 - 35e
        Campaign,resizable,normal,defaultCloseOperation=DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE,rootPane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,4,30,917x700,invalid,layout=javax.swing.JRootPane$RootLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=,flags=16777673,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true]]
[...]
        gmgen.pluginmgr.messages.StateChangedMessage[source=gmgen.GMGenSystem[frame1,85,2,1186x578,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,title=GMGen
        System,resizable,normal,defaultCloseOperation=HIDE_ON_CLOSE,rootPane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,4,30,1178x544,invalid,layout=javax.swing.JRootPane$RootLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=,flags=16777673,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true]]

        I will send you a seperate email with a text-file attachement of all
        the things that happen in the debug-console from the moment when I
        press the Begin Combat button with jaust 1 Aboleth.

        Now I will start to try to debug the source on my own. Maybe this will
        give us a clue.

      • kevin_fernandes01453
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007
          Well, this was the message I expected you to get, unfortunately I was
          hoping that the problem you are seeing and this problem (in 5.12.1)
          were related but it seems they are not.

          I am at work now and do not have access to my home email, so I will
          check out the log tonight when I get home.

          Thanks for all your work and patience :)
          (and Will, for his help as well)

          We'll squash this bug yet!
          :-)

          Kevin F.
          (PCGen Code Lemur)

        • kevin_fernandes01453
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
            Found it, I have trackered the issue, thanks for your help and your
            patience on this one. I was able to figure this out by comparing your
            failure debug log to my successful debug log.

            Here is the tracker link.
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1811230&group_id=25576&atid=627102

            The issue has to do with having "Use Default Monster" selected in the
            PC Gen preferences. If you unselect this option, you can generate the
            monster and then apply the "default" monster kit manually to the monster.

            Again, thanks for the report, your help, and patience
            :-)
            Kevin F.
            (PCGen Code Lemur)