[BUG] GMGen NullpointerException in EncounterTab when pressing Begin Combat

  • tartsigam
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2007
      Hi!

      This is quite a strange thing. I am using WinXP with JDK 1.5.0_09 to
      run PCGen (5.12.1). When I try to create an encounter and press the
      "Begin Combat" button, I get this:

      java.lang.NullPointerException
      at plugin.encounter.EncounterPlugin.handleMonster(Unknown Source)
      at plugin.encounter.EncounterPlugin.handleTransferToTracker(Unknown
      Source)
      at plugin.encounter.EncounterPlugin.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
      .. javax.swing....

      I use the same version of PCGen on another computer with Win2k and
      there is no such exception. I've tried to install JDK 1.5.0_06 (which
      I'm running under 2k) under XP and even 1.6. Nothing. Always the same.
      The I tried PCGen 5.13 alpha and again the nullpointer.
      But everything is fine when running on the Win2k computer.

      Any hints for me?
    • kevin_fernandes01453
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
        Hi,

        I am not sure if we have a minimum JRE requirement (like 1.5.0_10) but
        you still should not receive the NPE. I just tried it with a few
        different monsters (Java 1.6.0_2) on Win XP with no errors.

        What Game Mode/Campaign is loaded?
        What datasets are in use?
        What monster(s)/creature(s) were part of the encounter when it happens?

        Thanks for the report,
        Kevin F.
        (PCGen Code Lemur)

        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "tartsigam" <tartsigam@...> wrote:

        > Hi!
        >
        > This is quite a strange thing. I am using WinXP with JDK 1.5.0_09 to
        > run PCGen (5.12.1). When I try to create an encounter and press the
        > "Begin Combat" button, I get this:
        >
        > java.lang.NullPointerException
        > at plugin.encounter.EncounterPlugin.handleMonster(Unknown Source)
        > at plugin.encounter.EncounterPlugin.handleTransferToTracker(Unknown
        > Source)
        > at plugin.encounter.EncounterPlugin.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
        > .. javax.swing....
        >
        > I use the same version of PCGen on another computer with Win2k and
        > there is no such exception. I've tried to install JDK 1.5.0_06 (which
        > I'm running under 2k) under XP and even 1.6. Nothing. Always the same.
        > The I tried PCGen 5.13 alpha and again the nullpointer.
        > But everything is fine when running on the Win2k computer.
        >
        > Any hints for me?

      • Kevin Fernandes
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 6, 2007
          Hi Will,
          Thanks for the report.

          I am currently unable to repeat this with the creatures you mentioned or
          any other for that matter.
          I also am using Windows XP and I have tried several version of Java with
          no bad effects yet. I have
          tried both PC Gen 5.12.1 and the current 5.13.2. I will try this on a
          Win 2K box tomorrow,
          I do not have access to Vista unfortunately.

          Was the version of Java you reported from the PCGen About dialog?
          Were the creatures you selected the only creatures in the list before
          combat or were there multiple types creatures
          (or several of the same)?
          When the Begin Combat button was selected, were you prompted for any
          information (like hit points) before the NPE?

          Sorry for all the questions, hopefully I or someone else on the team can
          repeat this soon.

          Kevin F.
          (Code Lemur)

        • tartsigam
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 8, 2007
            Hi Kevin,

            I have my portable not at hand, but I can validate the information
            will gave.
            The Aboleth(Psionic) doesn't make any problem. I'm also working with
            the 3.5 set (RSRD complete).
            The question for HP doesn't come.

            I hope I can can give you more information tomorrow. The I will try
            dirrerent groups of monsters in an encounter and I will try to
            recompile the class to get some more information (System.out.print
            should work fine)

            tartsigam

            --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Fernandes <drkstorm@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > To add a bit more madness to this, I also have a Windows Vista 64
            > > machine, and I have no trouble with GMGen on that. (Of course my
            > > Laptop has the old XP, and there is just no way to bring my huge
            > > Desktop with Vista on it to the game...)
            > >
            > > My Java is bukld 1.6.0_3-b05
            > >
            > > Thanks for your help,
            > > Will Pierce
            > >

            > > --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, "kevin_fernandes01453" <drkstorm@>
            > > wrote:
            > >
            > >> Hi,
            > >>
            > >> I am not sure if we have a minimum JRE requirement (like 1.5.0_10)
            > >>
            > > but
            > >
            > >> you still should not receive the NPE. I just tried it with a few
            > >> different monsters (Java 1.6.0_2) on Win XP with no errors.
            > >>
            > >> What Game Mode/Campaign is loaded?
            > >> What datasets are in use?
            > >> What monster(s)/creature(s) were part of the encounter when it

          • kevin_fernandes01453
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 8, 2007
              Well, this problem is really eluding me. And its happening for
              several people so it may be more than environmental.

              After running tests on Windows 2000, using PCGen 5.12.1 and 5.13.2,
              and Java 1.5.12 and 1.6.03 and I have yet to repeat the problem.

              Can we try a couple of more things? Maybe someone else has some other
              ideas too.

              Using 5.12.1, if you try to generate an encounter with an Ape, do you
              get the same error? With 5.12.1 you should get an error message when
              you try to generate an Ape (a bug that is fixed in 5.13.2).
              Also, try turning on the debug mode from the debug menu, and try the
              same things again with the debug console open to see if more
              information is produced.

              Sorry I can't be more helpful, hopefully we can figure out exactly
              what is happening.

            • tartsigam
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007
                ok, heres the "Ape"-combat:
                I get a popup with the message "Can not equip Bite (Natural/Secondary)
                to". The window seems to be too small :-)
                In the debug-console I get this:

                --addEB-- IdPath:0.1.2 Parent:0.1 Location:null eqName:Bite
                (Natural/Secondary) eSet:Default Set
                java.lang.NullPointerException
                at pcgen.core.PlayerCharacter.setCalcEquipmentList(Unknown Source)
                at pcgen.core.PlayerCharacter.setCalcEquipmentList(Unknown Source)
                at plugin.encounter.EncounterPlugin.handleEquipment(Unknown Source)
                at plugin.encounter.EncounterPlugin.handleTransferToTracker(Unknown
                Source)
                at plugin.encounter.EncounterPlugin.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)

                the rest of the call-stack is javax.swing and java.awt

                I don't know if this is helpful, but after the nullpointer comes that
                (the message-popup I suppose):

                gmgen.pluginmgr.messages.StateChangedMessage[source=pcgen.gui.PCGen_Frame1[frame0,289,20,925x734,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,title=PCGen
                v. 5.12.1 - 35e
                Campaign,resizable,normal,defaultCloseOperation=DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE,rootPane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,4,30,917x700,invalid,layout=javax.swing.JRootPane$RootLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=,flags=16777673,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true]]
[...]
                gmgen.pluginmgr.messages.StateChangedMessage[source=gmgen.GMGenSystem[frame1,85,2,1186x578,invalid,layout=java.awt.BorderLayout,title=GMGen
                System,resizable,normal,defaultCloseOperation=HIDE_ON_CLOSE,rootPane=javax.swing.JRootPane[,4,30,1178x544,invalid,layout=javax.swing.JRootPane$RootLayout,alignmentX=0.0,alignmentY=0.0,border=,flags=16777673,maximumSize=,minimumSize=,preferredSize=],rootPaneCheckingEnabled=true]]

                I will send you a seperate email with a text-file attachement of all
                the things that happen in the debug-console from the moment when I
                press the Begin Combat button with jaust 1 Aboleth.

                Now I will start to try to debug the source on my own. Maybe this will
                give us a clue.

              • kevin_fernandes01453
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 9, 2007
                  Well, this was the message I expected you to get, unfortunately I was
                  hoping that the problem you are seeing and this problem (in 5.12.1)
                  were related but it seems they are not.

                  I am at work now and do not have access to my home email, so I will
                  check out the log tonight when I get home.

                  Thanks for all your work and patience :)
                  (and Will, for his help as well)

                  We'll squash this bug yet!
                  :-)

                • kevin_fernandes01453
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 10, 2007
                    Found it, I have trackered the issue, thanks for your help and your
                    patience on this one. I was able to figure this out by comparing your
                    failure debug log to my successful debug log.

                    Here is the tracker link.
                    https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1811230&group_id=25576&atid=627102

                    The issue has to do with having "Use Default Monster" selected in the
                    PC Gen preferences. If you unselect this option, you can generate the
                    monster and then apply the "default" monster kit manually to the monster.

                    Again, thanks for the report, your help, and patience
                    :-)
                    Kevin F.
                    (PCGen Code Lemur)