Entering an own Rulesystem to PC gen

  • Peter Kovacs
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2007
      Hello,

      I want to use PC Gen as a character generator for our Houserulesytem.
      My trouble is that Our houserules are not related in any way to the D20
      System (mostly known as D&D) because we think the basic Idea of that
      system is not good for Roleplaying the way we want it.

      So I would like to know if it is possible to use the Engine for a
      completly different set of rules.

      Our system is a Point distributed system. You generate your Character
      with Generation Points and Backround points.And we need to be able to
      Pick things from a list. (Which do not have costs)

      thanks :)
      Peter
    • joefrazierjr
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2007
        --- In pcgen@yahoogroups.com, Peter Kovacs <legine@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I want to use PC Gen as a character generator for our Houserulesytem.
        > My trouble is that Our houserules are not related in any way to the D20
        > System (mostly known as D&D) because we think the basic Idea of that
        > system is not good for Roleplaying the way we want it.
        >
        > So I would like to know if it is possible to use the Engine for a
        > completly different set of rules.
        >
        > Our system is a Point distributed system. You generate your Character
        > with Generation Points and Backround points.And we need to be able to
        > Pick things from a list. (Which do not have costs)
        >
        > thanks :)
        > Peter

        Without knowing the specifics, I would say it probably can.

        I don't know if the gamemodes are totally dynamic or not, but I would
        hope so. If your game had say 9 stats instead of d20's 6, that
        information appears to be described in the
        \PCGen\VERSION\system\gamemodes\YOURGAMEMODE\statesandchecks.lst file.

        Perhaps someone with more knowledge can verify if you can create a new
        gamemode on the fly. Unfortunately, I don't have PCGen installed on
        this machine so I cannot test it right now.

        If you decide to go forward with this, you need to start your search
        on the PCGenListFileHelp list since that's where the specifics of this
        question need to be answered.
      • Tir Gwaith
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2007
          > I don't know if the gamemodes are totally dynamic or not, but I would
          > hope so. If your game had say 9 stats instead of d20's 6, that
          > information appears to be described in the
          > \PCGen\VERSION\system\gamemodes\YOURGAMEMODE\statesandchecks.lst file.

          GameModes are read in by PCGen on initial load. I wouldn't call that
          'totally dynamic' but it does mean that you can create your own
          GameMode file, load up PCGen, and PCGen will know about it.

          > If you decide to go forward with this, you need to start your search
          > on the PCGenListFileHelp list since that's where the specifics of this
          > question need to be answered.

          Correct. Warning: GameMode tinkering is not for the feint of heart.
          To test modifications, one has to close PCGen and re-open. I've done
          a _bunch_ of that recently with the new Ability object stuff.

          PCGen LST Chimp